Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Team Zoot Applications for 2018!!!
Quote | Reply
Apply here:

https://zootsports.com/...eam-zoot-application

Any questions, let me know!

Zoot Team Captain Southeast
2019 Sponsors: Canyon Bikes, Garmin, Smith Optics, Zealios Skin Care & Sun Protection, Speedfill Products, Gatorade Endurance, Ottolock, Theragun, ORR Carbon Wheel Systems, boco gear, Giddy Up Multisports
Quote Reply
Re: Team Zoot Applications for 2018!!! [bikefaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bikefaster wrote:
Apply here:

So this is one of those things you "apply" for and then you buy the gear to wear, and there is no compensation for this advertising?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bikefaster wrote:
Apply here:

I , too, would like to know the incentive here. From the brief description, I have to fill in some information to enter a ā€œcontestā€ to be picked for team zoot and then I win the right to BUY zoot equipment?! Sounds like a great idea....

Do you accept fat and slow people?
Quote Reply
Re: Team Zoot Applications for 2018!!! [mambwe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm sure they will accept anyone willing to buy their stuff. I was just "chosen out of hundreds of applicants" for another team like this. They said a discount code would be emailed to me in a few weeks so I can purchase my teem kit.

Its a great way of marketing. It lets people feel like they are a part of something.
Quote Reply
Re: Team Zoot Applications for 2018!!! [jonp9576] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Depends on the discounts though....I mean if you have to buy new stuff due to your old stuff being well, old...and they give you some steep discounts...then I don't see any reason why not? Unless you are a pro - you wont get on a team with free stuff - least not in tri sports.

If I needed some new Nikes and Nike was like hey we will give you 65% off every pair you buy if you only wear Nikes...I would be like sign me up.
Quote Reply
Re: Team Zoot Applications for 2018!!! [LuchaLibre] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I applied just for fun... See if I'll get chosen.
Quote Reply
Re: Team Zoot Applications for 2018!!! [LuchaLibre] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LuchaLibre wrote:
Depends on the discounts though....I mean if you have to buy new stuff due to your old stuff being well, old...and they give you some steep discounts...then I don't see any reason why not? Unless you are a pro - you wont get on a team with free stuff - least not in tri sports.

If I needed some new Nikes and Nike was like hey we will give you 65% off every pair you buy if you only wear Nikes...I would be like sign me up.

exactly. Its marketing. But I am currently in the market for a new tri suit. So Ill be applying. Someone is getting my $ this coming season for a tri suit. A discount would be nice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mambwe wrote:
bikefaster wrote:
Apply here:

I , too, would like to know the incentive here. From the brief description, I have to fill in some information to enter a ā€œcontestā€ to be picked for team zoot and then I win the right to BUY zoot equipment?! Sounds like a great idea....

Do you accept fat and slow people?

Hopefully they have better looking gear than those digi-polka dotted abortions from last year.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Team Zoot Applications for 2018!!! [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike, yes you definitely need to "apply" to be considered. We only accept so many candidates as there are limited slots per region. The number of new team members we take on typically depends on those not returning from the previous year, usually only a handful.

The "compensation", if you choose to look at it like that, are discounts from Zoot and our other sponsors. You can see the 2017 sponsors in my signature below, past sponsors have also included Scott, Ridley, Bonk Breaker, SRAM/Zipp, Gu, etc. 2018 sponsors have not been announced, but will look similar to 2017.

It's honestly not about the "compensation", it's about the camaraderie of being with a group of like-minded individuals, training and racing together, and representing Zoot, the endurance sport lifestyle, and our sponsors.

Any questions, feel free to PM me.

2019 Sponsors: Canyon Bikes, Garmin, Smith Optics, Zealios Skin Care & Sun Protection, Speedfill Products, Gatorade Endurance, Ottolock, Theragun, ORR Carbon Wheel Systems, boco gear, Giddy Up Multisports
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We do have some minimum expectations, but those having nothing to do with being fat or slow!

Quote Reply
Re: Team Zoot Applications for 2018!!! [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GMAN-I always enjoy your posts and comments and this one seems to fit your MO! We design our kits to stand out, so by your statement, we definitely accomplished the goal... "There's no such thing as bad publicity" -- P.T. Barnum

Look for us at Oceanside 70.3, would love to meet you in person.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is this restricted to North America or is it an international programme?
Quote Reply
Re: Team Zoot Applications for 2018!!! [Hoopboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
US only right now. We do have a European team but their selection process is seperate. PM me.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is it normal to not have sponsors lined up ahead of applications? Otherwise, how do people know what they are applying for? If you expect your applicants to have their race schedules for 2018 already dialed in, then it seems like you should have sponsors lined up as well.

ETA - This is not unique to Zoot, but something I have noticed with a lot of these AG teams. Sure they all provide online camaraderie and a discounted tri suit for the year, however the real potential benefit is group discounts on other gear. How can an applicant make an educated decision about which team to pursue if they don't know who the sponsors will be until after they apply and pay their $200-400? If the big ticket discount for the team ends up being on Enve wheels and I don't need new wheels, then the potential benefit of being on that team is significantly eroded.

"It's good enough for who it's for" - Grandpa Wayne
Last edited by: flynnzu: Nov 14, 17 6:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bikefaster wrote:
GMAN-I always enjoy your posts and comments and this one seems to fit your MO! We design our kits to stand out, so by your statement, we definitely accomplished the goal... "There's no such thing as bad publicity" -- P.T. Barnum

And stand out they did. Iā€™m all for ostentatiousness (have you seen my bike) but those kits, especially the menā€™s kits, were just atrocious... yet memorable. So much success in that PT Barnum viewpoint. šŸ˜

Quote Reply
Re: Team Zoot Applications for 2018!!! [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
bikefaster wrote:

And stand out they did. Iā€™m all for ostentatiousness (have you seen my bike) but those kits, especially the menā€™s kits, were just atrocious... yet memorable. So much success in that PT Barnum viewpoint. šŸ˜

Thanks GMAN, I guarantee we will not have the same kits next year, but, as always, they will stand out! I take this as an invitation to ogle and fondle your ride at Oceanside.... I will look for you!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bikefaster wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
bikefaster wrote:

Thanks GMAN, I guarantee we will not have the same kits next year, but, as always, they will stand out! I take this as an invitation to ogle and fondle your ride at Oceanside.... I will look for you!

Blue and Orange Dimond. Nobody else has that paint job.

Quote Reply
Re: Team Zoot Applications for 2018!!! [flynnzu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
flynnzu wrote:
Is it normal to not have sponsors lined up ahead of applications? Otherwise, how do people know what they are applying for? If you expect your applicants to have their race schedules for 2018 already dialed in, then it seems like you should have sponsors lined up as well.

ETA - This is not unique to Zoot, but something I have noticed with a lot of these AG teams. Sure they all provide online camaraderie and a discounted tri suit for the year, however the real potential benefit is group discounts on other gear. How can an applicant make an educated decision about which team to pursue if they don't know who the sponsors will be until after they apply and pay their $200-400? If the big ticket discount for the team ends up being on Enve wheels and I don't need new wheels, then the potential benefit of being on that team is significantly eroded.

This is why I mentioned that joining the team is not about the "compensation"... The perks and "potential benefits" of being on the team is the camaraderie, not the discounts, etc. from the sponsor. The team and title sponsor for the team is Zoot, this is what you're applying for. We don't require an athlete to have all of their season planned, this question gives us an idea what scale of racing an applicant prefers (local vs travel, short vs long, etc.). None of those criteria are looked upon negatively, just gives us an idea what that athlete does or likes to do.

We do have online communications but the team is split into regions so that those athletes can train, race, and play together. The social aspect is just as important as the training and racing, hence the "lifestyle" mentioned previously.

As far as the sponsors for 2018, I can say that we have had a good relationship with the sponsors we had in 2017 and I expect those relationships to continue. Ceepo, Garmin, and Smith Optics has been with us for at least 4 years. boom! and Speedfil have been with us for the past 3. Zealios, SCYS and L3Endurance have been sponsoring the team the last two seasons This should give you an idea of the long term relationships we harbor and strive for.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's it's really about camaraderie and not just to advertise for Zoot, why don't you share with us the locations of your team members? Do you organize team-based training events (camps), weekly meet-ups, runs, rides, etc.....? There's like no information being given here to make this even worth considering IMO.
Quote Reply
Re: Team Zoot Applications for 2018!!! [daswafford] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree that someone should look at what they are getting for signing up to pay for a discount (?)....I would want to understand if what was being offered, is exactly what I would have purchased myself.

However, ambassador deals like this do not need to provide the specifics because there are a bunch of people who could care less what the products are...and will happily shill them....and say they are "sponsored".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mike Alexander wrote:
I agree that someone should look at what they are getting for signing up to pay for a discount (?)....I would want to understand if what was being offered, is exactly what I would have purchased myself.

However, ambassador deals like this do not need to provide the specifics because there are a bunch of people who could care less what the products are...and will happily shill them....and say they are "sponsored".

This is not exactly true. I can't speak toward the Zoot team, as I'm not a part and am not really interested in "applying". I have other products that I really really like that I want to wear. (that's not a knock on Zoot, I just have a preference for some other stuff). Some people (myself included) do like the discounts for a certain brand (since I am going to buy anyway) and also don't mind telling people about their gear because it's really cool stuff. It doesn't have anything to do with being "sponsored".
Quote Reply
Re: Team Zoot Applications for 2018!!! [dprocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dprocket wrote:
Mike Alexander wrote:

This is not exactly true. I can't speak toward the Zoot team, as I'm not a part and am not really interested in "applying". I have other products that I really really like that I want to wear. (that's not a knock on Zoot, I just have a preference for some other stuff). Some people (myself included) do like the discounts for a certain brand (since I am going to buy anyway) and also don't mind telling people about their gear because it's really cool stuff. It doesn't have anything to do with being "sponsored".

Agree, and I should not have written it as if I was referring to everybody. However, there are plenty of people who use this as an opportunity to pretend (vocally) they are "sponsored". Walk up to someone at an expo wearing logos and ask them their affiliation with brand X. Half will tell you they are sponsored by them. They aren't.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mike Alexander wrote:
dprocket wrote:
Mike Alexander wrote:

Agree, and I should not have written it as if I was referring to everybody. However, there are plenty of people who use this as an opportunity to pretend (vocally) they are "sponsored". Walk up to someone at an expo wearing logos and ask them their affiliation with brand X. Half will tell you they are sponsored by them. They aren't.

Ok, I get what you're saying. Brooks had that silly promotion last year that you could actually sign a real "sponsorship agreement" with them. It was advertised simply as that..., "say you're a sponsored athlete!". That was silly to me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bikefaster wrote:
Mike, yes you definitely need to "apply" to be considered. We only accept so many candidates as there are limited slots per region. The number of new team members we take on typically depends on those not returning from the previous year, usually only a handful.

The "compensation", if you choose to look at it like that, are discounts from Zoot and our other sponsors. You can see the 2017 sponsors in my signature below, past sponsors have also included Scott, Ridley, Bonk Breaker, SRAM/Zipp, Gu, etc. 2018 sponsors have not been announced, but will look similar to 2017.

It's honestly not about the "compensation", it's about the camaraderie of being with a group of like-minded individuals, training and racing together, and representing Zoot, the endurance sport lifestyle, and our sponsors.

Any questions, feel free to PM me.

a midweek bump.
Looking forward to Team Zoot in 2018 =)

website/blog | Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Team Zoot Applications for 2018!!! [daswafford] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
daswafford wrote:
It's it's really about camaraderie and not just to advertise for Zoot, why don't you share with us the locations of your team members? Do you organize team-based training events (camps), weekly meet-ups, runs, rides, etc.....? There's like no information being given here to make this even worth considering IMO.

It is about the camaraderie AND about promoting Zoot (and our sponsors!)... we also consider people that may already enjoy Zoot products and want to share that love!

We have team members in all but a few states and the regional teams are broken down as: Southern California, Northwest, Mountain, Arizona, Texas, Southeast, Gulf, Mid-Atlantic, Great Plains, Northeast, and Great Lakes. Based on where team members are located, we do have all of those things you mention. As we are a relatively small team, compared to some others, in the areas where we are spread out, the get-togethers (whether social or training) may be less often. We encourage team members to stay active in their local communities and local tri teams. Some of our team members also harbor their own individual sponsorships (upon approval, of course) with local companies/businesses that do not conflict with Zoot or our sponsors.

Glad I posted this on ST to answer those questions, keep 'em coming!

Quote Reply

Prev Next