Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Finally got a mountain bike....
Quote | Reply
...after not having one for almost 30 years I finally got a mountain bike.

Duffy Jr had his 13th birthday and we got him a new mountain bike and in the process ended up getting bike for myself and Mrs. Duffy as well (so we can all ride together!!!).

Holy shit! The one I got is the most badass thing that I don’t really need that I’ve ever had!

When I ride it I feel like I could conquer a civilization, destroy the universe or possibly even get an erection.

But god damn those thing are expensive. We did get a special-buy-three-refinance-your-house-deal.

Oh, and mountain biking is really hard.

PS: go eat dicks, BLeP, this is Lavender Room material.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Finally got a mountain bike.... [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
man, living where you live...i am soooo jealous of you.
enjoy it, i love riding on remote trails away from people and their damn emotional support crap.

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ
we're doomed
Quote Reply
Re: Finally got a mountain bike.... [Madduck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i love riding on remote trails away from people and their damn emotional support crap.

#Me too.

Quote Reply
Re: Finally got a mountain bike.... [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
i love riding on remote trails away from people and their damn emotional support crap.

#Me too.

You suck Sanuk! It was my turn to use the #metoo and you jumped in front of me. Why do you always do this? You ruined my whole week!

By the way - Well done! That made me laugh
Last edited by: rick_pcfl: Nov 14, 17 16:26
Quote Reply
Re: Finally got a mountain bike.... [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You suck Sanuk! It was my turn to use the #metoo and you jumped in front of me. Why do you always do this? You ruined my whole week!

You need to make a sign and start marching or at a minimum, go on social media and talk about how unfair life is.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
'bout time. What did you get?
Quote Reply
Re: Finally got a mountain bike.... [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In 1989 the wife and I road tripped up to San Fran and in Mill Valley bought a red tshirt with white lettering "mountain biking is not a crime". I wore that thing proudly until my friend John Pavlat saw it and said "the way you ride a mountain bike it is a crime".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's awesome!
In the middle of my triathlon days I borrowed a friend's bike and we went to the local trails...

...and got completely destroyed and humbled on beginner tracks. It was like I had never ridden a bike before.

I didn't ride any more because I had limited time and was too focused on tri, but really want to give it another go sometime. I just love doing things that I really suck at!

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You’re gonna love it. Such a thrill, so challenging, so relaxing, generally quiet with some solitude.

It’s the only thing I do anymore where my head goes completely blank, only concentrated on exactly what’s in front of me in that moment. Buddhists might call that mindfulness; for me, it’s certain peace, perhaps in the same way surfing is for you. Trout fishing used to be that as well, and I think I need to start doing that again, too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got mine about 7 years ago and have never looked back. Last 6 triathlon I have done have been Xterra types. And yes, MTB riding is harder than shit. Your Heart Rate never goes down, everything seems to only go up, and those huge plates for gears never seem to be enough in spots. But everywhere you ride is cool and new, and if you ever decide to race again, even that is cool.

What did you get, hardtail, full suspension, carbon, aluminum, god forbid, steel??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bikepacking. So much fun.
Quote Reply
Re: Finally got a mountain bike.... [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He got a Duffy Huffy. The seat grabs your ass and won't let go.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you do the XTerra Laguna Beach? I haven't yet but plan to next year, looks awesome and challenging. I used to do adventure races years ago which are super fun and laid back (and DAMN challenging)!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
...after not having one for almost 30 years I finally got a mountain bike.

Duffy Jr had his 13th birthday and we got him a new mountain bike and in the process ended up getting bike for myself and Mrs. Duffy as well (so we can all ride together!!!).

Holy shit! The one I got is the most badass thing that I don’t really need that I’ve ever had!

When I ride it I feel like I could conquer a civilization, destroy the universe or possibly even get an erection.

But god damn those thing are expensive. We did get a special-buy-three-refinance-your-house-deal.

Oh, and mountain biking is really hard.

PS: go eat dicks, BLeP, this is Lavender Room material.

Cool. Where have you taken it so far? Where do you WANT to take it? I might have some suggestions :-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just got back from a 2 hour mtb ride. It might take a few weeks to get the hang of your new bike in the dirt, especially if you got a 29er, be patient until you get use to the feel .

I road-ride once a week just to hang with old friend, The rest is all off-road it is so much funner and more challenging!

Enjoy! IMO the funnest sport!
Last edited by: getcereal: Nov 14, 17 16:50
Quote Reply
Re: Finally got a mountain bike.... [JD21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you do the XTerra Laguna Beach? //

No I haven't, but Dan followed me into Xterra a couple years ago and he did it, had a challenge with Tinley I think. He said it was soooo hard he almost had a heart attack and died, for real...I have run that trial several times, have to figure there is some 20% grade in there, can't imagine having to race it on a bike and then run it!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Finally got a mountain bike.... [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Cool. Where have you taken it so far? Where do you WANT to take it? I might have some suggestions :-)

Just got it so I’ve only been to Elings Park and off the road along Modoc. Yesterday I rode from my house downtown to Elings. I tried to climb the single track up Elings from off of Las Positas. Made it about 3/4 of the way up, gassed out and fell over. Went back down and when I got to the bottom I almost puked.

Want to do Jesusita and Romero. With the wife and kid along we need to find the easiest stuff possible until our collective skill and fitness levels get better. I’d like to I ride up and down (rather than drive up and ride down, which is fun too). Any suggestions for easy rides would be great.

This summer we will probably do the Mammoth thing.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've ridden the 'long' course a few times and it is brutal. That trail system is really challenging, I prefer Aliso Woods as there is a good mix of trails for everyone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
What did you get, hardtail, full suspension, carbon, aluminum, god forbid, steel??

We all got Trek Bikes.

Mine is a Top Fuel 9.8 - full carbon everything (everything) - full suspension

Wife’s is Pro Caliber 9.8 - Carbon - hardtail

Son’s is a Marlin 5 - hardtail - aluminum (he’s not full grown yet so...)

Local shop is a Trek dealer and he gave us a pretty good deal since we bought all three at once.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did a week in Moab with a guide. Was truly Epic and ranged from flat/easy to very technical/heart attack. Super fun and learned a lot from the guide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
Quote:

Just got it so I’ve only been to Elings Park and off the road along Modoc. Yesterday I rode from my house downtown to Elings. I tried to climb the single track up Elings from off of Las Positas. Made it about 3/4 of the way up, gassed out and fell over. Went back down and when I got to the bottom I almost puked.

Want to do Jesusita and Romero. With the wife and kid along we need to find the easiest stuff possible until our collective skill and fitness levels get better. I’d like to I ride up and down (rather than drive up and ride down, which is fun too). Any suggestions for easy rides would be great.

This summer we will probably do the Mammoth thing.

Playing around Elings will build your skill level quickly.

Jesusita is tough...Romero is better for starting out, but you still have the "anaerobic warmup" first 1/2 mile...but, after that it's a bit more "tame" from a climbing standpoint (I used to do it on a MTB tandem with my wife :-). Of course, once you start getting more confident, you can try coming down the single-track trail as well :-)

If you want to take in some flat and ocean cliff-top stuff, come out to Ellwood and ride the bluffs and through the Monarch refuge...all the way to UCSB. You can park in the lot across Hollister from Ellwood School.

If you don't mind driving a bit further up the pass, go into Paradise road. There are loops you can do out of Upper Oso, or you can park at the end of Paradise and then ride the dirt road to Gibraltar Dam. Can even go further past the dam to the old quicksilver mine ruins...or, ride up Angostura Rd. ("dirt Gibraltar"). LOTS of options in the back country :-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Finally got a mountain bike.... [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Finally got a mountain bike.... [JD21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
<<I did a week in Moab with a guide. Was truly Epic and ranged from flat/easy to very technical/heart attack. Super fun and learned a lot from the guide. >>

Could you share the outfitter/guide you used? A trip like that is on my radar for next year.
Quote Reply
Re: Finally got a mountain bike.... [Elvis Runner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Booked it all through Dreamride, husband and wife team. http://www.dreamride.com They did a great job with everything, I went with a buddy. We stayed in a local B&B that was perfect.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations. Welcome to the dirty side. I'm sure you'll fit right in.
Quote Reply

Prev Next