Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
2018 ultrarunning thread
Quote | Reply
Due to lotteries, travel plans, and significant training periods required, it seems many folks try to plan their race schedules pretty far in advance, thus the early start to this thread.

Who is shooting for the biggies - Hardrock, Western States, UTMB, Comrades, Spartathlon, Barkley, ...etc, and all the shitload others I'm leaving off? I am certainly not ignoring any lesser-known and/or shorter races, I just didn't have time to type out the names of all 2,000 of them. :)

So.....

How'd you do in 2017, and what are you planning for 2018?

Quote Reply
Re: 2018 ultrarunning thread [TeamBarenaked] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Still trying to get my 2018 figured out but might apply to Badwater. Its a race ive wanted to do for years but haven't been able to for various reasons. I usually run Rocky Raccoon 100 as its a 2.5 hour drive from where I live so ill probably do that again.

2x Deca-Ironman World Cup (10 Ironmans in 10 days), 2x Quintuple Ironman World Cup (5 Ironmans in 5 days), Ultraman, Ultra Marathoner, and I once did an Ironman.
Last edited by: chuy: Nov 13, 17 15:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I dont run ultras anymore- but see the Womens' fastest time for 100 miles has just been broken 12:42:41--- now that is impressive eh?

Graham Wilson
USAT Level III Elite Coach
http://www.thewilsongroup.biz
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 ultrarunning thread [feman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
feman wrote:
I dont run ultras anymore- but see the Womens' fastest time for 100 miles has just been broken 12:42:41--- now that is impressive eh?

Hell yes, that's impressive. That's better than all but a handful of males in the world could do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TeamBarenaked wrote:
Due to lotteries, travel plans, and significant training periods required, it seems many folks try to plan their race schedules pretty far in advance, thus the early start to this thread.

Who is shooting for the biggies - Hardrock, Western States, UTMB, Comrades, Spartathlon, Barkley, ...etc, and all the shitload others I'm leaving off? I am certainly not ignoring any lesser-known and/or shorter races, I just didn't have time to type out the names of all 2,000 of them. :)

So.....

How'd you do in 2017, and what are you planning for 2018?

I am doing the Bel Monte 50 miler and the Grindstone 100.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As for myself, this was a redemption year - no DNFs :) I knocked out a few 50K's, couple 50-mi, and couple 100-mi. Overall, pleased with results I guess. Like I said no DNFs.

I have 32 races currently on my MAYBE list for 2018. A couple are stretches, probably not thinking about them too seriously. Four of them are lottery/application races. Any/all of those four are DEFINITELY if I am chosen. More than likely, I will wait to get stiffed again on all those, then start going through the leftovers and plunking down $ on some OK-I'M-SETTLING races.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
32 races! Holy cow. I wish I could race more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rocky Raccoon 50 mile in early February. Initially was planning on the Bandera 100k but now have a scheduling conflict. I'll also be signing up for the Lake Sonoma lottery. The rest of the Spring will depend on that.

Unlikely to do anything beyond 25k over the summer as my current plan is to focus on a Boston bid at CIM in Dec. 2018.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
probably a local 50k in central jersey in February as a test to step up to the 50 mile distance in may at the north face race at bear mountain. rest of the years schedule will depend on the results and recovery from that
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 ultrarunning thread [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M~ wrote:

To clarify, those are the races I have written down from which I will choose maybe five to eight for next year. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TeamBarenaked wrote:
M~ wrote:

To clarify, those are the races I have written down from which I will choose maybe five to eight for next year. :)

Ah, I am the type of guy that would love to race every weekend. Racing myself into race shape I always found to be the best way to get faster. Although I suppose doing 50 milers every weekend may be a bit of a different beast. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If WS100 is a fail (only 1 ticket this year) then will look to TRT100. Fourmidable 50K and Canyon 100K and early season races/long training runs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thinking about giving a go at Ultras in 2018. If so it will be Bighorn 50k in June and Lean Horse 50 mile in mid August. Will have to see how that mixes with tri’s already on the calendar since I am registered for Boulder 70.3 and qualified for USAT nationals which is a week later. Also want to get into the Dakota five-o, a 50 mile mountain bike race in the Black Hills on Labor Day weekend.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 ultrarunning thread [chuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chuy wrote:
Still trying to get my 2018 figured out but might apply to Badwater. Its a race ive wanted to do for years but haven't been able to for various reasons. I usually run Rocky Raccoon 100 as its a 2.5 hour drive from where I live so ill probably do that again.

Hey want to improve your chances at Badwater, by doing the Salton Sea Relay in April? I'm looking for 2 other folks to give it a go and give myself some "extra" chance at Badwater in 2019.

My 2018 is all planned around Bigfoot 200 in August. First attempt at a multi-day ultra which should be loads of fun and interesting plus on top of that I'm doing it as a fundraiser for a charity. I figure I'm gonna need that extra motivation come hour 65 with still over 50 miles to go. ;)

Also thinking of doing Keys 100 in May too as a way to bolster the Badwater resume for a 2019 application...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TeamBarenaked wrote:

I've only done ultras in Oregon, there are some nice ones here, and I'm curious what are some good sources for finding some outstanding ultras (50k, 50 miler) known for either the course of the locale. I'm not interested (right now) qualifying for any of the biggies necessarily. Just would like to find some target/destination races in the western U.S. or even abroad to give me something to look forward to during the winter. Triathlon season just ended for me....
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 ultrarunning thread [clayhathorn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Run 100s lists hundreds of ultras in CA and around the country: http://www.run100s.com/

Head South to Northern California and there is something just about every weekend. From little local races to the larger ones like America River 50 or MiWok: http://www.run100s.com/sub100.htm

Check out some of the listed race reports or blogs to see what is being said about some of the races.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://ultrasignup.com/default.aspx
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 ultrarunning thread [masterslacker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bigfoot 200 was my fallback if I did not get into Norseman. I did not, but also had a kick in the confidence with a "failed" 100 last weekend. My pity party from that is turning into being pissed. Planning on Rocky Raccoon for revenge, and to get my 2019 WS qualifier assuming I don't get in for 2018 (only 1 chance). Need to get a kiddo through some major surgery before I can really commit to anything though.

Run on.

Brian

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just registered for The Canyons 100k (April) today...man, the Ultrasignup website was overloaded and I wasn't sure I'd get in...not sure if its sold out yet or not. Next year they go to a lottery system. I've put in for the WS100 lottery so that will determine mid-summer plans. I've also registered for the Bear 100 next September. I'm registered for Ironman WI (yes, 3 weeks prior to Bear) so I'll have to see how my shoulder holds up with swim training to see if I still try to do it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just two planned for 2018 so far.

Two Oceans Ultra in April (56km) and then Comrades in June.

Come on the ultra running season!
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 ultrarunning thread [JimK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Someone shared this article in the Trail and Ultra Running fb group and I thought some here might want to read it - I could relate to a lot of this stuff https://www.outsideonline.com/...campaign=onsiteshare
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 ultrarunning thread [JimK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have to stop reading this thread or I am going to do something stupid like sign up for a 100miler.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think my body is telling me my ultra running days are over. :-(

If I'm lucky I may be able to squeeze out a slow 50km on soft trails and limited training mileage.

It's been a good run. First ultra in 1987 and the sport has taken me to places I never imagined, so I can't complain.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TeamBarenaked wrote:
feman wrote:

Hell yes, that's impressive. That's better than all but a handful of males in the world could do.

Yes, very impressive as pretty much every world record is, but when compared to the top men I'm not sure it's such an outlier.

When Tomoe Abe broke the 100 km WR that was the one that astounded me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Bridger Ridge run.....................a tougher one.....The Rut 50k
Quote Reply

Prev Next