Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Looking for a replacement for PureConnect 4
Quote | Reply
I've been trying to find a decent replacement for my PC4 .
I mostly liked their flexibility and "slippers" feel but unfortunately they are not available any more.

Any models that might match these requirements?
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for a replacement for PureConnect 4 [ilan_k] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
saucony kinvara is the closest I've found, unfortunately. I don't know why brooks had to go so far away from what they had.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for a replacement for PureConnect 4 [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I found the Kinvara to be too soft or cushioning for me which makes my stride less controlled ("ankle wise")
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe try the Hoka Tracer.

Dave Jewell
Free Run Speed

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I too was a huge fan of the pure connect 4 and the pure flow 4. Then they got rid of the pure connect and introduced the garbage pure flow 5. That being said the new pure flow 6 has become my favorite shoe. It’s almost a blend of the pure connect 4 and the pure flow 4. I trained in them and raced 70.3’s and a marathon with no blisters or hot spots. Brooks also just released the Anthem which appears to be on the old platform and look a lot like the connect.
Last edited by: brett2467: Nov 14, 17 6:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, it sounds like the two selling points to you are flexibility and the fit of the shoe - more slender than most, but with a slightly more forgiving forefoot fit.

As SDJ mentioned, the Hoka Tracer would probably come close, although it's not quite as flexible nor as slipper like.

I don't think you're going to like the Anthem from Brooks - it is essentially an old Pure Flow that's been reintroduced as a "new" shoe particularly for non-specialty retail.

The New Balance 1400v5 gives the flexibility you might like, a slightly less slipper-esque upper, but a little more offset (not sure if that's make or break for you - I prefer to think in miles, not millimeters when it comes to shoes).

Anything on the Nike Flyknit platform would also be worth your while, especially if upper fit is your primary goal. The Flyknit Racer is one of my current favorite shoes to throw people's way.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for a replacement for PureConnect 4 [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the option overview.
I suspect the Hoka would to bulky \ soft comparing to the Connect.
Does anyone have experience with Inov-8 for road purpose (low drop,wide toe box , springy)?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a retailer, I loathed them: always backordered, would never deliver product on time when futured, and by the time our shipment would finally arrive, we'd get "oh, we bought online" from people who wanted them.

They are flexible, but won't give you the mix of cushioning/responsiveness from the Connect.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've made the same search. Started with the Kinvara, wasn't unhappy with them but they aren't the same at the Connect. The Tracer is also a good shoe but not even close to the Connect. The Cloudracer is also a good shoe, like the Kinvara I'm not unhappy with them but they aren't the Connect. Have never understood why Brooks screwed up the Pure series and discontinued the Connect.
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for a replacement for PureConnect 4 [Troy B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The easy answer as to why the Connect got dropped? Because nobody bought them.

The harder answer as to why the Connect got dropped? The shoe didn't sell well in volumes in part because of how aggressive the cut out under the mid foot was, which put even really neutral feet into a dive towards the medial side, particularly if there wasn't anything but perfect stance - toe off. Couple that with other options in the "less padding than a Flow, low off-set" definition from Merrell, Saucony, New Balance, and the like, and it made the shoe tough to move at retail. And Brooks, probably more so than any other manufacturer, takes that feedback at retail to heart when determining which shoes to kill.

Quote Reply