Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Taking family photos, such a PITA!
Quote | Reply
Does anyone enjoy family photos, is it ever a pleasant experience, do kids ever cooperate?

We have a 2 year old daughter and she is pretty much the cutest kid ever. My wife goes a little overboard with taking pictures and scheduling photo sessions, at the beach, at the pumpkin patch, in the sunflowers, in the cotton field (I know that's racist), Easter, Christmas and so on.

Every session goes pretty much the same way, kid doesn't want to cooperate, gets upset, cries and whines a little, I get stressed out, wife gets stressed and it just makes for a shitty way to spend the afternoon.

Gotta hand it to the photographers though, they always seem to pull a rabbit out of the hat and have some really great shots that keep my wife lining up for the next go round.
Last edited by: SkipG: Nov 13, 17 21:30
Quote Reply
Re: Taking family photos, such an PITA! [SkipG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hate the entire idea unless the pictures are captured unknowingly. Anything posed sucks.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Re: Taking family photos, such an PITA! [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkca1 wrote:
I hate the entire idea unless the pictures are captured unknowingly. Anything posed sucks.

Yay! Someone who gets it.

I used to shoot weddings. My portfolio of wedding photography had no posed photos in it.

People would see my work (again not one single posed photo in any of it) and think to themselves, “I like this stuff. I want this for my wedding.”

They’d hire me and a week before the wedding they give me a list of all the different combinations of friends and relatives that they wanted me to take posed photos of!!!!

I’d say “nope, sorry, not happening.” and show the contract they signed that said “no posed photos!!!!!!”

It’s like going to a Ferrari dealer and telling them you want a Toyota.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Last edited by: Duffy: Nov 13, 17 21:04
Quote Reply
Re: Taking family photos, such an PITA! [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
jkca1 wrote:

I used to shoot weddings. My portfolio of wedding photography had no posed photos in it.

People would see my work (again not one single posed photo in any of it) and think to themselves, “I like this stuff. I want this for my wedding.”

They’d hire me and a week before the wedding they give me a list of all the different combinations of friends and relatives that they wanted me to take posed photos of!!!!

I’d say “nope, sorry, not happening.” and show the contract they signed that said “no posed photos!!!!!!”

makes sense, almost all of the good photos are when the kid is screwing around and doing her own thing.
Quote Reply
Re: Taking family photos, such a PITA! [SkipG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We do it once a year and it's pretty mellow. The photographer has us do different things, but not formal poses.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We don't do it. My daughter likes having her picture taken, no one else in my little family does. My wife and I weren't going to have a wedding photographer and had to be talked into it. Only agreed because the lady we used promised to only do candid's and that we would never notice her working.

I do have some great photos of my son when he was around 4. A friend of my wife who was starting a photography business asked if she could use him for some trial shoots. Took him to a park and I don't think she had him pose anywhere. Just had my wife play with him and she would shoot from different angles. There's a few pictures that look posed but he's looking off at ducks in a pond. Way more natural in my opinion. I'd like to do that again because they are a little older now.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yup...gotta time it right. Is the kid hungry, is it nap time, is the kid cold....also don't forget to bribe them with candy and treats if they do a good job.

My wife tends to do our own with the timer on the camera. It turns out to be 50/50. When we hire a photographer, my 4 year old loves it. She thinks she is a movie star or something...
Quote Reply
Re: Taking family photos, such an PITA! [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
jkca1 wrote:

Hey, something you and I agree completely on. I have done this at several big family get togethers and really like the results. Most people aren't models so they look awkward when they are posed. I can't take a posed picture for shit, smile crooked, can't figure out where to put my hands ( someone's ass may be my next go to ), not sure where I am looking, ...

I can see people wanting at least some posed pictures because a lot of people looking kind of expecting to see them, but you get so much more the real people and how they look with a longer lens from across the room.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Taking family photos, such an PITA! [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can make great posed photos. I’d just rather not.

Truth be told, I never wanted to shoot weddings in the first place so when asked to do them it was either my way or fuck off.

I did do a few with posed photos but those pics were taken by an assistant photographer and put in a separate book at additional cost.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply