Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Hunters of the LR
Quote | Reply
Good luck this season with whatever you may be hunting!

We start archery pronghorn season here in a couple of weeks. Archery season for elk/deer starts soon after that and by mid Sept, the boom sticks will get into the game.

I have 4 tags (bull elk, cow elk, pronghorn, and deer) and may add a 5th. The elk and pronghorn from past hunting is about gone so the freezer is needing some filling.

My 63 year old mother will be doing her first big game hunt for pronghorn once that rifle season opens.
Quote Reply
Re: Hunters of the LR [307trout] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Daughter went to a WI hunter safety orientation class just yesterday and is looking forward to her first gun deer season. Me, I'm trying to get a couple NDT scout sight mods to work on my K31 and 91/30...old eyes and irons not cutting it anymore :-(

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll be heading into the mountains on opening day for caribou - gotta fill the freezer!

A week later a buddy and I are flying into the Brooks to look for sheep.

I got a lot to do to get ready. Have to reload some ammo - thought I'd done so, but it turns out that Barnes TSX and TTSX loads are not the same (despite what Barnes says on their website). I couldn't get TSXs and loaded up TTSXs instead - a quick trick to the range revealed that they are wicked hot: bulged primers and I could barely lift the bolt handle. So now I have to pull 48 bullets and come up with Plan B.

Good luck out there!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, I really kept thinking, eh its summer, I got plenty of time and don't think about it much. Seeing this post I'm now thinking, Its August! I better start getting my head around and things in order.

I only shotgun hunt in November, but I always need to find land to hunt on, so I need to confirm I can go on the same property again or find new land.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife will be on her first deer hunt this year. We go to western MN which is shotgun slug.

Need to plan our South Dakota rooster hunt, will either schedule it so we can hit some open water walleye or ice fish late in the season.

I bought a 30# recurve to see if could hit anything and was thinking about getting a 50# and try for a deer with that. Too late for me to experiment with that so I will focus on ruffed grouse when the full hunting party is occupied.

I am tired of the summer heat and looking forward to cold nights, already hatching plans for ice fishing...

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply
Re: Hunters of the LR [MTBSully] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How is everyone's seasons going?

My season starts in about 10 days. Rain/snow mix in the forecast. I'm really excited but:

1) I had to move my blind to a different spot from last year, more people on the hunting land. I actually think this will be a better spot, but time will tell.
2) I have not shot my shotgun (slug) since I killed a deer last year, hope it still sighted in and I'm just as accurate. I'll take it out this weekend.
Quote Reply
Re: Hunters of the LR [AndysStrongAle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got two trips to the grouse woods and have 2 grouse to show for 20 miles of walking.

Have made a couple trips ducking hunting with moderate success, haven't had a good day where they work the decoys like you want them to. I did shoot a really good looking gadwall, and hoping to get out this saturday too.

Where are you out of Andy? We hunt deer around Morris on public land. It can be either chaos or not bad at all. Sounds like the rut activity is starting to pick up.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bird numbers are way down in SD. I skipped opening day...first time in 30 years and will be trying this weekend. Deer looks to be good with strong numbers.
The dog is in a depressive state without hunting yet.
Quote Reply
Re: Hunters of the LR [chuckhead] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't stepped foot in a pheasant field this year. We are skipping SD, my step dad is going to hunt Iowa this year. I have had fun chasing grouse for the first time.

I will hopefully get out for some late season roosters, never shot one in January...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Snow for Big Cocks is a game changer.
Quote Reply
Re: Hunters of the LR [chuckhead] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love chasing them in snow, that first 3" snow fall makes them stupid...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought pronghorn was one of those easily spooked deer that have great vision that lived in the open plains. How do you manage to get one with a bow?

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SE part of the state. We got CWD management in the area, so it might be a game changer over the next few years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Game changer I see what you did there.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Hunters of the LR [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha! Without even realizing it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just got back from Idaho. Not hunting this year but got to listen to a game warden on a local radio show as I drove across on the 84. F&G reporting good numbers in Idaho this year. The Warden said the deer survived the tough winter quite well and the harvest looks very good. Was interesting to hear the Warden talking some smack about the wolves though. He said the re-introduction is having a very negative affect on the elk herd in the Trinities. His exact words were "We need to rethink the whole wolf re-introduction program."

Will be a Idaho resident next year and can't wait to hunt once again. Finally!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Started September with 4 moose (there were four of us) which always makes for “fun packing”. Just recently took a buddy out to get a Grizz (he had never hunted anything before but REALLY wanted a Grizz...so, I got him one). Now the snow is flying and I’ll wait a bit to head out after some caribou and set some traps.
Quote Reply
Re: Hunters of the LR [Culley22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Got a nice doe this past weekend.

First day of the season I see a nice buck in the distance, but not enough light to count antlers (4pt on one side rule). Two hours later, I'm shuffling through my backpack for a sandwich I see a doe 50 yards looking at me. Didn't get a shot off...stupid me. Then I saw nothing for the next 3 days sitting in 15 degree weather, I was ready to give up.

Finally Saturday I move to the north side of my hunting field because of the wind change. One hour in I see a doe 20 yards behind me (up wind). Thing almost walked into me. I shot her at about 10 yards bottom of the neck just before the front leg, she bolted for about 1/3 of a mile and died in a ditch. Took me 45 minutes to find her, then I had to call another hunter to help me haul her over the ridge back to my car.

Was fun and a good learning experience: Wait a bit till you go try to find them!!
Quote Reply
Re: Hunters of the LR [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, I didn't get one with the bow. Stalked into range though, at about 44 yards and was about to launch some carbon when the critter somehow figured me out and that was all she wrote. Spot and stalk pronghorn hunting is not for those who give up easily.

I did get one with the rifle, about 2 minutes after my mom shot her first big game animal. Anchored the biggest buck in the group with one shot. The herd was still hanging around a couple of minutes later so I took her gun and got mine.

Just got done cutting up a nice sandhills (Nebraska) mule deer taken with the bow, spot and stalk. That was a great trip. Will do that again next year.

So, for 17 I have 2 bow kills, bull elk and mule deer buck, and one rifle kill, pronghorn buck. I still have an elk cow tag that I may try to fill this weekend with the rifle but hunting season is definitely winding down.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't hunt but live right in the rural heart of the deer hunting area and you guys have no idea how much I fucking hate you during the first two weeks of November. I live near a conservation area where no hunting is allowed. I run or mountain bike with my dog on the trails and make a point for us both to wear orange for these two weeks. One year I was on the trail and came across three hunters who weren't supposed to be there. I politely explained they were not allowed to hunt in this area and the one asshole responded "what are you going to do about it". I was almost ready to fight the guy but with three guys with rifles I diplomatically backed away once again trying to explain it is a conservation area. And then there are the other assholes that come to the border of the conservation area and send their dogs in the flush the deer out. I don't get the hunting thing unless you're actually going to eat what you kill or for conservation purposes. I knew a guy in a hunting party that shot five deer tags and none of them eat veal. WTF? Just the "thrill" of killing a defenseless animal. How manly. I also don't get the "male bonding" thing of being shacked up in a cabin with a bunch of guys farting, snoring and drinking all week. One year we locally had five guys die - two shot by other hunters, two heart attacks and another lost in the woods and died of exposure.

Hunting is not my thing. I don't get it or have any interest but all I want to say is be responsible. You have a lot of assholes in your ranks.
Quote Reply
Re: Hunters of the LR [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
I don't hunt but live right in the rural heart of the deer hunting area and you guys have no idea how much I fucking hate you during the first two weeks of November. I live near a conservation area where no hunting is allowed. I run or mountain bike with my dog on the trails and make a point for us both to wear orange for these two weeks. One year I was on the trail and came across three hunters who weren't supposed to be there. I politely explained they were not allowed to hunt in this area and the one asshole responded "what are you going to do about it". I was almost ready to fight the guy but with three guys with rifles I diplomatically backed away once again trying to explain it is a conservation area. And then there are the other assholes that come to the border of the conservation area and send their dogs in the flush the deer out. I don't get the hunting thing unless you're actually going to eat what you kill or for conservation purposes. I knew a guy in a hunting party that shot five deer tags and none of them eat veal. WTF? Just the "thrill" of killing a defenseless animal. How manly. I also don't get the "male bonding" thing of being shacked up in a cabin with a bunch of guys farting, snoring and drinking all week. One year we locally had five guys die - two shot by other hunters, two heart attacks and another lost in the woods and died of exposure.

Hunting is not my thing. I don't get it or have any interest but all I want to say is be responsible. You have a lot of assholes in your ranks.

What does eating baby cattle have to do with hunting deer?

In the free world of the United states it is illegal to hunt dear and leave the meet. Is that not a law up North? Or are you just uninformed anti hunter bashing.

BTW when you ride that mountain bike with your dogs, do you keep them on leash and pick up their poo? If not you are causing more harm to the environment than probably any other user. Off-leash dogs cause the most habitat problems for parks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:

Yup, assholes can be found anywhere and I think it's a higher concentration in the hunting ranks. I'll agree with that. But I wouldn't lump all hunters in that group because of the experiences you've had. We (my family) are very dependent on the meat, and it is D-LISH!

Hunting isn't for everyone. Different strokes for different folks.
Last edited by: Culley22: Nov 13, 17 17:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
You have a lot of assholes in your ranks.

More than in Triathlon?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nothing on bow so far for us either (though only the kids have tags). We'll miss opening day of gun season this weekend for a funeral, but spirits are generally high. Finally got the tree stand fully strapped up and ready a couple days ago. Didn't want to leave it that late, but life got in the way.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You might be pleased to know that most hunters despise poachers and meat wasters as much as you do. Lumping hunters into one group is no different than lumping all cyclists together because there are some who ignore the rules of the road.
Quote Reply

Prev Next