Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Truly Making America Great Again: 840-HP Dodge Demon Heads to Dealers
Quote | Reply
USA Today gives away its thinking with its hed: "Controversial" 840-horsepower Dodge Demon heads to dealers

"Controversial?" You spelled "Making America Great Again" all wrong, USA Today. ;-)

Zero to 60 mph in 2.3 seconds, baby! (With a 100 octane tune) And with 770 lb-ft of torque. LOL!

"Fiat Chrysler Automobiles has begun shipping the first 2018 Dodge Challenger SRT Demons to dealers, the automaker says.

The limited-production, 6.2-liter Hemi V-8 engine delivers 840 horsepower. Dodge is touting the mega-muscle car as the industry’s first street-legal production drag car. The National Hot Rod Association has certified it as the world’s fastest quarter-mile production vehicle."

There's an old saying: "There's no replacement for displacement." Glad to see that Detroit (well, Detroit and Italy ;-) still gets that. Engine is a 6.2 liter mill with a 2.7 liter supercharger (up from the 2.4 liter version in the Dodge Hellcat). If you run pump gas, you're going to see "only" 808-hp and 717 lb-ft of torque. What a dog, in other words. ;-)

Controversial 840-hp Dodge Demon heads to dealers

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Truly Making America Great Again: 840-HP Dodge Demon Heads to Dealers [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a Challenger Scat Pack. With a few mods, I am putting down around 550-ish. It isn't the top end hp, it is the torque and the insane displacement (the Scat Pack is a 6.4 L while the Hellcat is 6.2 L with a supercharger). It takes a great deal of control not to drive it like a douchebag (i.e., squealing tires at the stop light, fishtails around corners, etc.). While I "want" a Demon, that thing has to be a bitch to drive.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Truly Making America Great Again: 840-HP Dodge Demon Heads to Dealers [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Meh. The last, and only, Dodge I'd consider in the last few decades would be a Viper.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Electric cars have been able to do 0-60 in 2.3 seconds without needing a giant engine.
Quote Reply
Re: Truly Making America Great Again: 840-HP Dodge Demon Heads to Dealers [FishyJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FishyJoe wrote:
Electric cars have been able to do 0-60 in 2.3 seconds without needing a giant engine.

Just a giant environment-killing battery.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Truly Making America Great Again: 840-HP Dodge Demon Heads to Dealers [FishyJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FishyJoe wrote:

Electric cars will never get you hot chicks, either. No balls, bro. ;-)

Quote Reply
Re: Truly Making America Great Again: 840-HP Dodge Demon Heads to Dealers [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
FishyJoe wrote:

The batteries are proving to be really long lasting and new technology could very well make recycling a profitable business. Old batteries can even be used again in lower stress environments such as homes.
Quote Reply
Re: Truly Making America Great Again: 840-HP Dodge Demon Heads to Dealers [tigermilk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tigermilk wrote:
Meh. The last, and only, Dodge I'd consider in the last few decades would be a Viper.

I used to be obsessed with dodge vipers. As a kid in the late 80's/early 90's I spent a lot of hours making a lot of model vipers.

I remember a very experienced driver saying that was one of the only cars that really terrified him. Lots of power, very hard to control.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FishyJoe wrote:
JSA wrote:
FishyJoe wrote:

The batteries are proving to be really long lasting and new technology could very well make recycling a profitable business. Old batteries can even be used again in lower stress environments such as homes.

Electric car. Fast, yes. Instant-on torque.

2018 Dodge Demon 840-hp, 770 lb-ft of torque:

I don't see too many hot women draped all over electric cars. ;-) ;-)

4,200 pounds of chrome steel and sex appeal, sir. Wins out every time. LOL!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another “meh” from me.

From the engineering standpoint, i’m impressed. 2.x to 60 will always blow me away, and I know I’d either end up in jail or dead if I️ drove one.

I’m just more of a fan of fast cars that can, say, go around a corner? ;)

Give me a tuned WRX STi any day over this. Or a turboed BRZ on e85.
Quote Reply
Re: Truly Making America Great Again: 840-HP Dodge Demon Heads to Dealers [Koala Bear] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Koala Bear wrote:
Another “meh” from me.

From the engineering standpoint, i’m impressed. 2.x to 60 will always blow me away, and I know I’d either end up in jail or dead if I️ drove one.

American muscle cars (as opposed to quick or fast cars) have always been about straight-line acceleration. I think the Demon is even certified as the fastest dragstrip-ready production car. That's what'll pull them in. Although there's no doubt this one is more of a halo car to get folks into the showroom, where salespeople can then move them into a Charger R/T or something with more civilized manners that can get the kids to soccer practice. ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My next project car is going to be a 1999 to 2004 Mustang, either GT or Cobra, outfitted with a 2015-2017 Ford 5.0 liter Coyote engine (NA, not turboed... I don't want to spend that kind of money on an Aluminator version). I'll use the FRPP control pack, an aftermarket tubular K-member up front and a new rear (it's a live axle, so I can't go too crazy) and a bunch of other stuff, plus a performance tune. The car's cheap (anywhere from $3,500 to $5,000 in great shape and relatively low miles) and the yards are full of Coyotes (including 2015s from donor cars) and it's a straight drop-in to the '99-'04 Mustang engine bay with stock k-member. Not a lot of crazy mods to do, like with a Fox body if you go that route. :-)

Last edited by: big kahuna: Nov 13, 17 9:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
Koala Bear wrote:
Another “meh” from me.

American muscle cars (as opposed to quick or fast cars) have always been about straight-line acceleration. I think the Demon is even certified as the fastest dragstrip-ready production car. That's what'll pull them in. Although there's no doubt this one is more of a halo car to get folks into the showroom, where salespeople can then move them into a Charger R/T or something with more civilized manners that can get the kids to soccer practice. ;-)
Yeah, I️ get that. And I️ understand that to a lot of people, straight line speed and acceleration are where they get their excitement from. And I️ don’t dont doubt that if i got in a demon and floored it, I️ might have fun (:
But it would get old to me.

With a 300-400 hp Japanese or European car to me, that’s when you can still have fun of the line, but take it to a road course or a back country road and have the real fun (:

it’s just personal preferences, but those are mine (:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
However I️ do think the the “controversial” is a bit stupid, to say the least.

Maybe i’m not up to date but has there been serious controversy with it?

It’s fast and it’s loud, I️ don’t think that’s controversial...
has it voiced its opinions on abortions? Gun control? Climate change?!

Aw, oh well ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Truly Making America Great Again: 840-HP Dodge Demon Heads to Dealers [Koala Bear] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Koala Bear wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
Koala Bear wrote:
Another “meh” from me.

Yeah, I️ get that. And I️ understand that to a lot of people, straight line speed and acceleration are where they get their excitement from. And I️ don’t dont doubt that if i got in a demon and floored it, I️ might have fun (:
But it would get old to me.

With a 300-400 hp Japanese or European car to me, that’s when you can still have fun of the line, but take it to a road course or a back country road and have the real fun (:

it’s just personal preferences, but those are mine (:

Oh, I'm with you. I had a 1996 Nissan 300ZX twin turbo that I had sent off to Stillen for some other mods. It had serious road capabilities and it was lightning quick for the era. Just one of many cars I went through, foreign and domestic. ;-)

Last edited by: big kahuna: Nov 13, 17 9:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
FishyJoe wrote:

Some dudes like chicks w/ hairy legs and pits.

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ
we're doomed
Quote Reply
Re: Truly Making America Great Again: 840-HP Dodge Demon Heads to Dealers [Madduck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Madduck wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
FishyJoe wrote:

Some dudes like chicks w/ hairy legs and pits.

Thank God they're in the minority. At least in America. ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very cool, especially the launch technology, but add me to the list of people that would rather have a car fast on a road course than on a drag strip.

A Focus RS would be way more fun to drive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty sure that wont be the case for long

http://compositesmanufacturingmagazine.com/...lectric-energy-heal/

I was pondering this today as i again discussed the theoretical merits of a focus RS and there is something tangible about the driving experience of gas that electricity will not ever offer........plus i like changing gear, accelerating hard and braking hard and i like really windy roads
Quote Reply
Re: Truly Making America Great Again: 840-HP Dodge Demon Heads to Dealers [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:
Very cool, especially the launch technology, but add me to the list of people that would rather have a car fast on a road course than on a drag strip.

A Focus RS would be way more fun to drive.

I read they are going out the door around $90,000. Nearly $100K for a MOPAR product that can't really be driven comfortably (or safely) on the average road.

My guess is most are going to collectors and investors that will put them in storage so that someday a guy like Leno can show one on whatever TV turns into for our great grand children and everyone can go "ooh" about how great the old gas cars were before "blah blah blah" took over.

I suspect I will never see on in the wild.

By the way, MOPAR is selling just the engine for about $23,000 so you can put in your '78 Dodge Dart, or whatever the hell you want to do with it.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know, I think I could pick up a few non-hairy pitted beauties with this...

Quote Reply
Re: Truly Making America Great Again: 840-HP Dodge Demon Heads to Dealers [AutomaticJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I suspect I will never see on in the wild. "

I dunno, I didn't really expect to see that many Hellcats and I've seen 2 here in Tucson, which isn't usually a bastion of expensive cars. But, AMERICA.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There was an Automotive News editorial stating that the car is too dangerous for the road or something like that. Basically it has so much power it shouldn't be street legal and "untrained owners" are putting the rest of us at risk. Not really serious controversy, editorial seemed to be click-baity.

Koala Bear wrote:
However I️ do think the the “controversial” is a bit stupid, to say the least.

Maybe i’m not up to date but has there been serious controversy with it?

It’s fast and it’s loud, I️ don’t think that’s controversial...
has it voiced its opinions on abortions? Gun control? Climate change?!

Aw, oh well ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Truly Making America Great Again: 840-HP Dodge Demon Heads to Dealers [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
I have a small penis. While I "want" a Demon, that thing has to be a bitch to drive for someone like me who has such a small penis.

FIFY.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Meh.
All that engine, all that metal, all that fuel for a lot of noise and straight line acceleration. The lack of elegance & finesse,
If I was spending that sort of money on a sports car, I'd rather get something like a Nissan GT-R or Porsche 911 Turbo S. Still wicked fast but its also a high performance racing car. And you feel like you get some quality and engineering for your buck.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply

Prev Next