Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Detroit: No Place for Wimps (Most Violent Big City in US)
Quote | Reply
It's true that Motown's murder rate has been relatively low for a number of years (second-lowest in the US since 2015, I think). But that doesn't mean there aren't neighborhoods with scary levels of violence. In fact, Detroit ranks as the most violent big city in America. (No coincidence, then, that I've set my ninjas-versus-vampires book in many of the east-side neighborhoods this article alludes to.)

Downtown, New Center, Midtown? You're pretty safe, depending on the time of day or night. Go out to some west-side and east-side locales, though, and you better bring serious firepower. ;-)

“We’ll do an assembly and ask ‘how many of you know someone who’s been shot?’ And you’d be surprised how many hands go up,” Jones said. “They’re witnessing a lot of the crime we hear about on the news. They see the dead bodies. It’s just how life is for them, and it shouldn’t be that way.”

FBI data released in September show violent crime in Detroit increased 15.7 percentlast year, ranking it as the nation’s most violent big city. Detroit police officials dispute the numbers, blaming an antiquated software system and insist violent crime fell by 5 percent in 2016 — but even with that correction, Detroit still ranks as the most violent big city in the U.S."

Violent neighborhoods plague generations in Detroit

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Detroit: No Place for Wimps (Most Violent Big City in US) [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dear Detroit,

Thank you.

Hugs,

Chicago
Quote Reply
Re: Detroit: No Place for Wimps (Most Violent Big City in US) [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
Dear Detroit,

Thank you.

Hugs,

Chicago

Hahahahahaha! Kinda takes the heat off, huh? ;-)

Quote Reply
Re: Detroit: No Place for Wimps (Most Violent Big City in US) [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
It's true that Motown's murder rate has been relatively low for a number of years (second-lowest in the US since 2015, I think). But that doesn't mean there aren't neighborhoods with scary levels of violence. In fact, Detroit ranks as the most violent big city in America. (No coincidence, then, that I've set my ninjas-versus-vampires book in many of the east-side neighborhoods this article alludes to.)

Downtown, New Center, Midtown? You're pretty safe, depending on the time of day or night. Go out to some west-side and east-side locales, though, and you better bring serious firepower. ;-)

“We’ll do an assembly and ask ‘how many of you know someone who’s been shot?’ And you’d be surprised how many hands go up,” Jones said. “They’re witnessing a lot of the crime we hear about on the news. They see the dead bodies. It’s just how life is for them, and it shouldn’t be that way.”

FBI data released in September show violent crime in Detroit increased 15.7 percentlast year, ranking it as the nation’s most violent big city. Detroit police officials dispute the numbers, blaming an antiquated software system and insist violent crime fell by 5 percent in 2016 — but even with that correction, Detroit still ranks as the most violent big city in the U.S."

9th precinct ..even the State Troopers don’t go there now.

sometimes
Quote Reply
Re: Detroit: No Place for Wimps (Most Violent Big City in US) [mustangchef] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mustangchef wrote:
big kahuna wrote:

9th precinct ..even the State Troopers don’t go there now.

Yup. One of my cousins is a supervising sergeant in the Detroit Police Department. She says cops have resigned or retired rather than be sent to that precinct. ;-)

The 9th is like New York's old "Fort Apache" precinct in the Bronx. It was made famous in a 1981 Paul Newman movie. I have combat-hardened former SEAL and Ranger buds who look at the 9th and say "No thanks, man." ;-)

State cops recount 3 hours in Detroit’s 9th Precinct

Quote Reply
Re: Detroit: No Place for Wimps (Most Violent Big City in US) [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
Dear Detroit,

Thank you.

Hugs,

Camden, NJ

A little closer to home

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow. Another "Detroit sucks" story. To what purpose? Any solutions? Any point at all?
Quote Reply
Re: Detroit: No Place for Wimps (Most Violent Big City in US) [oldandslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oldandslow wrote:
Wow. Another "Detroit sucks" story. To what purpose? Any solutions? Any point at all?

Actually, I was bragging about it. Now keep your wimp butt out there in the Bay Area where it belongs. ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
oldandslow wrote:

Actually, I was bragging about it. Now keep your wimp butt out there in the Bay Area where it belongs. ;-)

The Seatbelts have 3 shows in the next month in Detroit ..PJs Lager House and Cadieux cafe

sometimes
Quote Reply
Re: Detroit: No Place for Wimps (Most Violent Big City in US) [mustangchef] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mustangchef wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
oldandslow wrote:

The Seatbelts have 3 shows in the next month in Detroit ..PJs Lager House and Cadieux cafe

You like to live dangerously, don't you? ;-)

Quote Reply