Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Wattage for around a 5:00 Ironman bike split??
Quote | Reply
I know there are a lot of factors that go into this but I'm just trying to get a ballpark idea if what I should be at least shooting to achieve over the winter training. I've started using TrainerRoad with a Computrainer so I can make the most of my hours in the saddle. What is a general FTP number for folks who ride around 5:00?

FWIW, I'm very new to riding with power & all the associated data/numbers so please keep the jackass answers to a minimum if at all possible. If there's already a thread where this is covered I'll gladly take being pointed in that direction (I couldn't find it).
Quote Reply
Re: Wattage for around a 5:00 Ironman bike split?? [pacco] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pacco wrote:
I know there are a lot of factors that go into this but I'm just trying to get a ballpark idea if what I should be at least shooting to achieve over the winter training. I've started using TrainerRoad with a Computrainer so I can make the most of my hours in the saddle. What is a general FTP number for folks who ride around 5:00?

FWIW, I'm very new to riding with power & all the associated data/numbers so please keep the jackass answers to a minimum if at all possible. If there's already a thread where this is covered I'll gladly take being pointed in that direction (I couldn't find it).

I Need 200 watts on a flat Course.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can go here and input your numbers and the course you’re training for and find out.

https://www.bestbikesplit.com/home
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
not all flat courses are equal road surface makes a huge difference. The power meter used can as well. I used to have to do over 200 say 220 with the old power tap to do 5.08
But I recently got around IMFL in just under 5 in 180W with powertap peddles. The peddles have consistently read low compared to the hub. It doesn't matter as long they are consistent and they seem to be.

I think the 200W = 5hrs isn't a bad target to aim for
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
for a ballpark idea you just need watts/kg + CdA estimate. Best Bike Split can give you a great estimate. Power alone means nothing.
Quote Reply
Re: Wattage for around a 5:00 Ironman bike split?? [holograham] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
5:13 in Kona this year.

AP 197, NP 207

180cm, 75kg.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
florida is very flat and w/kg has very little to do with it. On flat courses its more about average watts per unit of drag or other friction sources such as road surface
Quote Reply
Re: Wattage for around a 5:00 Ironman bike split?? [cantswim24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cantswim24 wrote:
florida is very flat and w/kg has very little to do with it. On flat courses its more about average watts per unit of drag or other friction sources such as road surface

Thats why I said both w/kg and CdA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At IMFL on a windy, cold year, I did around 5 hours flat, with a flat tire, on just under 200W.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Impossible to say, so based on course, conditions, CDa, bike set up. I have done 3 IM under 5 hours on less then 200w each time my FTP is prob around 300 at just over 4w/kg.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yeah but its really about watts and drag right? your kg will make very little to no difference in your speed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Each individual is different and how your position on the bike will come into play. What I would do is establish an FTP or CP a week or so after you get used to the computrainer setup. This just focus on raising this FTP over the course of the winter months etc. Maybe test yourself every 8 weeks or so. This FTP should increase and keep doing that until your training block starts.

Once you know your FTP, then with training on long rides you will have to "learn" what power will get you to a sub 5 hour bike split. There's no magic formula this early in the game. Work hard to establish a strong FTP, then if you overshoot your landing you can then have a nice easy bike split and crush the run because you didn't burn all of your matches.

Best bike split is a nice tool, you can find courses on there but you can also load one up.

If rider that weighs 30 lbs more then you gives you his FTP that's not going to be worth much. So yeah, W/kg is probably more relevant but then you have the aerodynamics/CdA to factor in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IM Cairns in 5:09 numbers are 196/205NP
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A lot depends on equipment, position, weather, pavement, etc.

As a reference point, I’ve done IMMT two times on nearly the same watts (232 and 233) and my bike times have been 5:06 and 4:51. The faster time was due to a lot of variables: better position, helmet, suit, tires/tubes, higher humidity, bike gear (bottle and placement, tririg brake, flat kit placement). Basically what I’m saying is that it’s hard to specify xxx watts for a
certain bike time.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cantswim24 wrote:
yeah but its really about watts and drag right? your kg will make very little to no difference in your speed

Hmmmm.......

A buddy and I both rode Choo 70.3 @ 174 w NP this year. He rode 4 mph faster than I did.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As others have pointed out there are a lot of variables, but I rode 4:58 at IMFL this year on NP=186W. Low winds and good roads definitely helped. I weigh 140 lbs (63.5 kg) and W/kg = 3.94, but that means very little on the flat IMFL course.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cantswim24 wrote:

True, it's all about watts and drag. But there's a reasonably strong correlation between kg and the "a" part of Cda. Give me a 60 kg rider and a 75kg rider, with the same equipment riding in the same position, and the 60kg rider's going to have a lower Cda pretty much every time.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Re: Wattage for around a 5:00 Ironman bike split?? [TrierinKC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
your points are very good. My comment about weight or w/kg was part of a discussin with another chap and we where talking about flat courses where weight is a very minor factor
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not really answering your question, but along the same thought, is there a graph that shows optimal, assuming you are trained and have fitness 5of FTP based on time. assuming the faster you go the higher % of FTP you can hold.
So if you ride:
4:30 X%
4:45 X% - Y
etc
Quote Reply
Re: Wattage for around a 5:00 Ironman bike split?? [CJAC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3ish watts/kilo for 112 miles should get you there (but as others have mentioned lots of other factors come into play).

2x Deca-Ironman World Cup (10 Ironmans in 10 days), 2x Quintuple Ironman World Cup (5 Ironmans in 5 days), Ultraman, Ultra Marathoner, and I once did an Ironman.
Last edited by: chuy: Nov 13, 17 8:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe it’s jus that I’m big and fat (6’2” 185lbs), my bike fit is bad or my shiv is as aero as a brick but 200 AP/ 218 NP only got me to a 5:27 split at Austria last year. For me 200 Watts is nowhere close to 5 even. As someone else said, lots of factors to consider.
Quote Reply
Re: Wattage for around a 5:00 Ironman bike split?? [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean,

That's amazing, have the same for HIM?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just found this one on google, not familiar with the publisher though. The IM one above is from training peaks.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IMFL this year (flat course, very little wind): 190AP/195NP for a 5:01
5'11 150lib
Quote Reply

Prev Next