Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Profile Design Aeria Ultimate aerobar and stem [Elktonkool] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have have a couple pics to share. Please have mercy on my spacer-abusing soul.

Huge thanks to Cyclenutnz.

I am really happy with it thus far. It came out pretty clean from the front. The only real issue I’m having is finding a home for the junction box. The 5 port doesn’t fit in the 70mm unless I am doing t wrong. I may just have to stick it down where it is. I originally had all the wires exiting the rear, but seems even with a new PD ATTK IC, there isn’t quite enough cable from the horn shifters to get that far. Any suggestions would be welcome.

The cable stop works, but sort of an interesting design in that it angles back toward the head tube and not really toward the brake on the 70mm.

http://a63.tinypic.com/1zvzhxj.jpg
http://a65.tinypic.com/2hqxn3s.jpg
http://a63.tinypic.com/141k3nb.jpg

Last edited by: Elktonkool: Oct 21, 17 14:23
Quote Reply
Re: Choice between the new ENVE SES Aero TT system or the Profile Design Aeria Ultimate. Which would you choose? [snny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know where those stack numbers came from, but I can clarify for you
The minimum stack of the bar on its own is 47.5mm including cushion
The stack of the stem is 12mm (+- a tiny bit if your HTA not 72.5deg)
So the minimum total stack is 59.5mm from the base of the stem. Add the headset cover to get stack from the top of the frame.

Actually, looking at it I think someone has calculated the comparative stack. So the min bar stack would be ~25mm if using a -6deg stem.

The reach values have been given relative to the frame xy point. So 21mm behind the frame reach through to 92 in front. That should really be explained on the page.
If you want the values for bar only the max setback is 91mm (to rear of pad).

Hope that helps
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd put a JC41 inside the stem and route the basebar shifters to there. Then you only need a 3port

Have noted feedback about cable stop angle, happily I wasn't responsible for the execution of that concept.
Quote Reply
Re: Profile Design Aeria Ultimate aerobar and stem [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am finally getting down to giving this a try today. Do you mean a jc41 for each set of shifters, or that with a jc41, the 3 port will also fit in the stem?

I may just be approaching it wrong. The issue I am running into, is that any of the 4 wires if internally routed direct to the 3/5 port, will not have enough length to allow the 3/5 port to reach the bento. The bar ends reach about to the cavity in the stem, and the base bars reach out an inch or two but not quite far enough.
Quote Reply
Re: Profile Design Aeria Ultimate aerobar and stem [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmmm. Looks like the cable stop is foul on the head tube if you try running the stem slammed.

Did PD actually try fitting this to a bike before releasing to the market?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Elktonkool wrote:

The cable stop works, but sort of an interesting design in that it angles back toward the head tube and not really toward the brake on the 70mm.

This awkward angle is present on the 100 mm stem as well. But it's not a show-stopper.

Also, the stem doesn't seem to play well with low profile headset dust caps. The one on the picture below has 4 mm of stack, and the bulge on the bottom of the stem doesn't allow the stem to settle on the dust cap on all sides (it rests on the bulge). I never would have thought I'm going to hunt for a dust cap with more stack:)

Last edited by: snny: Nov 10, 17 8:00
Quote Reply
Re: Profile Design Aeria Ultimate aerobar and stem [snny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is that an Orbea? How do you like it? Any qualms about having to shim the steerer tube?
Quote Reply
Re: Profile Design Aeria Ultimate aerobar and stem [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, that's an Orbea Ordu. I have no complaints. Obviously I was not happy with the Vision cockpit that came with the bike, thus my hunt for a bit lower and more adjustable one. No trouble from the shim on the steerer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you post a picture that shows how the stem and bar looks on that frame?
Quote Reply
Re: Profile Design Aeria Ultimate aerobar and stem [minimalist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here you go.

I added 7 mm of spacers underneath the stem. It would probably be nice to print/mould something to take up the empty space between the spacers and the frame. Other than that, I think it looks OK.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I've been thinking about a ride exactly like that one, you even got the colors right ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Profile Design Aeria Ultimate aerobar and stem [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone now the width of the stem clamping area for the aeria ultimate bar?
Quote Reply
Re: Profile Design Aeria Ultimate aerobar and stem [bllx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bllx wrote:

It's a typical 31.8 mm.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
bllx wrote:

It's a typical 31.8 mm.

Yes, but how wide is the central section were the stem clamps? I.e. how narrow does the stem need to be to fit?
Quote Reply
Re: Choice between the new ENVE SES Aero TT system or the Profile Design Aeria Ultimate. Which would you choose? [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim@EROsports wrote:
robgray wrote:
Jim@EROsports wrote:
I would wait to make any decision until the week of Kona. Just sayin'. ;-)

Hi Jim - was there a new bar announced in Kona?
Delayed a few weeks. I'd look to the first week of November.

Jim, was this new bar announced yet?
Quote Reply
Re: Choice between the new ENVE SES Aero TT system or the Profile Design Aeria Ultimate. Which would you choose? [tie3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tomorrow, i believe
Quote Reply
Re: Choice between the new ENVE SES Aero TT system or the Profile Design Aeria Ultimate. Which would you choose? [tie3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tomorrow.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Re: Profile Design Aeria Ultimate aerobar and stem [Plissken74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello,

Can you post a pic of the AU on your P3?

Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
“The cable stop works, but sort of an interesting design in that it angles back toward the head tube and not really toward the brake on the 70mm. ”

edit; nevermind, wasn’t sure what a cable stop is, figured it out and see your point.

Scott
Last edited by: GreatScott: Nov 22, 17 20:45
Quote Reply
Re: Choice between the new ENVE SES Aero TT system or the Profile Design Aeria Ultimate. Which would you choose? [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Jim,

Other than the obvious benefit of stack flexibility, what advantages does TriRig’s Alpha One have over Profile Design’s AU (or, vice-versa)?

Alternatively, do you prefer the Alpha X or the Aeria Ultimate?

Just curious as you may be one of the few to see each bar in the wild. Plus, you brought the Alpha One into the discussion. 🙂

Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Still happy now that you (presumably) have some time on the bar?

Ps - You should update the OP to include a pic of the Aeria Ultimate (vs Enve).

Scott
Quote Reply
Re: Choice between the new ENVE SES Aero TT system or the Profile Design Aeria Ultimate. Which would you choose? [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreatScott wrote:
Hi Jim,

Other than the obvious benefit of stack flexibility, what advantages does TriRig’s Alpha One have over Profile Design’s AU (or, vice-versa)?

Alternatively, do you prefer the Alpha X or the Aeria Ultimate?

Just curious as you may be one of the few to see each bar in the wild. Plus, you brought the Alpha One into the discussion. 🙂

Scott

The One is $200 cheaper, so that's good. As you stated, greater flexibility of stack with the One, but more fore/aft adjustment for the Aeria. The One is certainly easier to adjust, but I understand the concerns over reliability, and that has to be answered. Pick 'em, but in the looks department, the One is certainly sexier. For Gucci Factor, it wins hands down. I mean, let's just be honest here, if you believe it's reliable, you're going to pic the TriRig for that reason alone.

The integrated hydration on the Aeria is possibly an aero improvement, though fugly as hell. That, though, is likely frame and athlete dependent.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Re: Profile Design Aeria Ultimate aerobar and stem [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreatScott wrote:
Hello,

Can you post a pic of the AU on your P3?

Scott

i had to use 3T aerobars because cabling was impossible for eTap with the original aerobars
Aeria Ultimate base bar + 3T aerobars

see pic here
Quote Reply
Re: Choice between the new ENVE SES Aero TT system or the Profile Design Aeria Ultimate. Which would you choose? [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know if Profile will be offering this Aeria stem in 120mm?
Quote Reply
Re: Choice between the new ENVE SES Aero TT system or the Profile Design Aeria Ultimate. Which would you choose? [davetallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davetallo wrote:
Does anyone know if Profile will be offering this Aeria stem in 120mm?

Definitely not. By the end of 2018 all the PD aerobars will have a similarly expansive x fit range to the aeria ultimate. Longer stems become such an edge case that they can't be justified.

There will be a flatter angle stem.
Quote Reply

Prev Next