Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Help me win a running bet while staying under the radar
Quote | Reply
Before you reply, this is an OLD topic.....scroll to the newest post before posting about the old stuff up top.......

I have a fun one............

The wife is the runner. I'm the cyclist and can swim OK. I loathe running. If chased by a predator, I may get away well enough. Otherwise, bike or pool.

She doesn't think I could do a 5k in 25min or less. I think I could do it right now. If I win, I can go ahead and get that rear carbon wheel I have my eyes on.

I'm nobody to write home about fitness wise, but I'm not a slouch either. I ride about 100mi a week every week with about 1/3 of that pretty intense intervals.

If I swapped a few workouts for two weeks from the bike to the running shoes, what would you do other than running a 5k distance to win the bet? I'm pretty decent at 10 mile individual time trial pacing.

What's the over/under on success and what would you do if you had 4 workouts in 2 weeks to play with?

Also, anyone know if a cycling computer activity will convert over on Strava nicely if I used it on a run?
Last edited by: burnthesheep: Apr 16, 19 9:46
Quote Reply
Re: Help me win a running bet while staying under the radar [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd start with running a 5k as hard as you can. See where you're starting from.

From there, the next 4 running workouts would be running the 5k distance, as hard as you can each time. Then go do your race.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me win a running bet while staying under the radar [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you are using edge 520, you can convert the .fit file using fitfiletools.

For the training, I'd say you could run some mix of track intervals, easy runs, and tempo 4-5 milers to get a sense of where you stand.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you are pretty stuck with what fitness you got. You are not going to be able to gain much that would effect you in two weeks. It should be a mental game. Do some runs with some time at your goal race pace to get used to what it feels like. Get an idea about the course (maybe run the course a couple times) Make sure you have good shoes that won't hurt your feet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Also, anyone know if a cycling computer activity will convert over on Strava nicely if I used it on a run?

I think once it's loaded on Strava you can edit it and change from bike to run. I know you can do it with an activity that was recorded on your phone.

ETA - I would use my phone to record and make a new profile if I was trying to stay under the radar for this bet. Guessing your wife is a friend linked to your strava account ?

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Last edited by: Leddy: Oct 30, 17 11:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any running workout other than just running a test 5k at a moderate pace will most likely hurt more than help you at this point. See where you're at timewose.

Intervals or something similar are a recipe for disaster.

How much do you weigh?

Any lower extremity orthopedic issues?

25:00 is really not that fast if you have a decent fitness base.

Formerly DrD
Quote Reply
Re: Help me win a running bet while staying under the radar [Broken Leg Guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
75kg and falling. So 165lb. I'm a 3.3w/kg rider at that pace/time equivalent on a bike. I've done a 1/2 a few times at about 10.00/mi.

I asked about the converting the file because I train with power and HR. I could at least use the HRM and get it deep into my ftp-test HR zone and tell the legs to STFU for 25min.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Barring any bio mechanical issues I'd say you should be able to suck it up and do it.

Formerly DrD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A key note here:

Watch some college races or some oly ITU triathlon races.

Notice how they collapse and basically look like death when they hit the finish. If you aren't loopy and can barely walk by the end of the 5k, you didnt run hard enough.

If you really want that wheel and are about to smile and maintain composure over the finish line - you had stuff left in the tank. Be prepared to hurt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with the others, you're not going to be able to do much to improve your fitness in 4 sessions, so focus on execution. Run some 5ks at 5:00 min per km pace and see how it goes.

Set your Garmin to autolap every 1 km and put up a field that shows current lap speed avg, so that you have some feedback to help your pacing; 5:00 per km is 12 kph so just make sure you keep it nailed around that.

I don't think you'll find it that hard, but for reference, running an all-out 5k is delightfully simple, you just do everything in your power to make sure that the lap banner says the right number each time. Make it say 4:5x every time and your sub-25 is in the bag!
Quote Reply
Re: Help me win a running bet while staying under the radar [awenborn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You got it.

Usually when I do a 10 mile ITT I'll barely be able to roll around cooling down. Same for an ftp test. So nothing left in the tank is fine by me.

I'll report back from a practice attempt or the real attempt soon.

Anything above 25:00 is not acceptable.

Speaking of which, that's my next 10 mile ITT goal. 25:00. Coincidence?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Word of caution also;

if you practice these runs, say 4 of them in a week, you might get some serious shin splints or injury that will prevent the "all in" for the race. So practice carefully. It would suck to do a 22 in practice, then shins hurt so bad, you cant run a 28 when it counts
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
75kg and falling. So 165lb. I'm a 3.3w/kg rider at that pace/time equivalent on a bike. I've done a 1/2 a few times at about 10.00/mi.
I am super-curious, so I hope you do it, and I hope you post the outcome. But, if I were a betting man, I would bet on probably not.

On one hand, it seems like anyone with a decent engine could run an 8 min/mi pace for 25 minutes.

However, most race predictors would convert a 10 min/mi HM to a 5K in the high 20 minute range. And, a 25 min. 5K is in the top 15% to 20% of most local races. So, it is probably unlikely that you could show up and run a top 20% 5K with no preparations.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're not used to running, there's a danger you'll go out too hard and implode, same as in a TT. So for any training runs before the showdown I'd be getting familiar with pacing.

Perhaps try a 10 min super easy jog followed by a 5km progression run with each km getting a little faster. Start at 5min km and attempt a slight descend, 5-10 seconds each km.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm cyclist only, but used to run quite a bit 7 or 8 years ago. If I was in this position and wanted to throw down a decent run in 2 weeks, I would do the following: 1) super easy run/walk for 10-20 min. just to get the legs used to the motion all the tendons and muscles at least a little familiar. 2) You'll be sore from #1, so wait 2 or 3 days until the soreness is gone, then try a 20 easy continuous run 3) then fit in as many short easy runs as your body while allow leaving a couple of days to recoup prior to the "race". 4) Let er rip!

It's really just about getting your body used to the pounding and the movement of running without injuring yourself, and then relying on your cycling fitness to carry you along.

I think I could easily do a 25min 5k from nothing, but I'm not sure if I'd escape without an injury in the process - plus it would feel absolutely terrible!

If you should fail, double down and challenge her to a Beer Mile

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stop riding the bike or at least no long or hard rides. Then I would do three 800 meter efforts around a track at target pace with plenty of rest in between. Stretch, get a massage, rest 3 days or as long as it takes to feel fresh again. Repeat while adding one more 800.

Take two days of complete rest before your attempt.

How old are you? Do you have any knee problems?

Sounds like you're willing to bend the rules a bit. Why not do some easy runs while she is not looking to help your legs get up to speed?

Challenge her to a 5 mile ITT if you lose. She has to beat your 5k time or you get your wheel.

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you going to taper for this thing?

Never underestimate the power of "permission to buy more cycling gear" as your carrot. Last year, my wife told me I could buy a power meter if I won the local race which came with a $300 prize. My response was "uh, thanks but I wasn't planning on winning" (the prize is usually poached by one of the local university running teams).

Turns out I got second and ran the race of my life! (And yes, it was still poached) Unfortunately, second didn't come with any bike parts :(
Last edited by: timbasile: Oct 30, 17 17:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is what you do, get a pair of Hoka's and find a treadmill somewhere. First run is 3 miles at 8;30 pace. If you survive that ok, next up is as many as you can at 8;00 pace. If you can go at least 3 at that pace, do whatever more you can or ratchet down to 8;30 and see if you can get in 4 or 5 miles.

Do that and you are there, just remember that pace once the race starts. My wife has this fancy watch that tells you every second what pace you are running, get one of those maybe just to be sure. But if you cannot do it on a treadmill at a steady pace, then you are toast Raceday, maybe fake an injury and punt.. (-;
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hope you post the results and good luck to you. I like 10 10 10 workout. As a trial, do a run with The first 10 minutes hard, the second 10minutes hurt bad and the last 10minutes are death but hey, I can hang on for a lousy 10minutes.

On race day covert that workout to 8 8 8 and I bet you beat 25 minutes.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me win a running bet while staying under the radar [Bonesbrigade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bonesbrigade wrote:
I'm cyclist only, but used to run quite a bit 7 or 8 years ago. If I was in this position and wanted to throw down a decent run in 2 weeks, I would do the following: 1) super easy run/walk for 10-20 min. just to get the legs used to the motion all the tendons and muscles at least a little familiar. 2) You'll be sore from #1, so wait 2 or 3 days until the soreness is gone, then try a 20 easy continuous run 3) then fit in as many short easy runs as your body while allow leaving a couple of days to recoup prior to the "race". 4) Let er rip!

It's really just about getting your body used to the pounding and the movement of running without injuring yourself, and then relying on your cycling fitness to carry you along.

I think I could easily do a 25min 5k from nothing, but I'm not sure if I'd escape without an injury in the process - plus it would feel absolutely terrible!

I think this is great advice. Over the next two weeks you are more likely to hurt yourself than help. Just get an idea what the pace feels like and then stop running before you get sore. 5k isn’t that far, you can do it on sheer desire. Why on earth do a test run of the entire distance? Sure if you have 10-12 weeks to prepare, but with two weeks there’s no point. I think if you can run a mile at race pace without completely pegging your heart rate and dying you should be fine for 3.1. Be aware that running HR is often higher than cycling.

Just borrow a running watch so you can pace yourself well. Your cycling computer will be awkward at best.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The missus has explicitly challenged your manhood and all you stand to gain is a bike wheel?! You should up your negotiation game. Stretch goals a la Kickstarter at every subsequent minute below 25.

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bet you'll go 26 minutes. First mile @8 then pace will drop to 9. Running is very different from cycling and 2 weeks is not enough time. 2 months is a maybe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3.3 w/kg equates to a run speed of around 25 minutes for a 5km so it should be fairly easy for you. When I was quite bike fit but not run fit though I could easily go out and smash one run, but I wouldn't be able to walk for days afterwards. I'd definitely agree with the posters who said just go and run super easy/run walk for a few kms a few times to get used to it, and then get out and smash it on race day.

ETA And I would definitely run with a pacing tool (strava on iPhone?) and run at exactly 5min per km, no quicker, for the first 3 1/2 km and then slowly wind it up over the last 1 1/2 to come in 30 seconds under goal.
Last edited by: rmt: Oct 31, 17 1:38
Quote Reply
Re: Help me win a running bet while staying under the radar [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just go for a run with some 11 year old schoolgirls, if you can keep up you are sorted.
Quote Reply

Prev Next