Prev Next
Zwim: A Heads Up Display for Swimmers
Quote | Reply
https://www.indiegogo.com/...p-display-for-swim#/

Don't worry, I came here prepared.

Quote Reply
Re: Zwim: A Heads Up Display for Swimmers [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What they need to do is get it to tell you pace while open water swimming. I would buy that in a heartbeat.

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Zwim: A Heads Up Display for Swimmers [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it may not be super accurate, but I wish a garmin could maybe buzz me my pace every few minutes through some sort of morse code.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwim: A Heads Up Display for Swimmers [KG6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cool idea, but most of that data is irrelevant really.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pun_Times wrote:
What they need to do is get it to tell you pace while open water swimming. I would buy that in a heartbeat.

I remember trying on a Goggle-mounted pace/speed sensor some time ago.....Maybe it was a predecessor to this:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/instabeat#/

However at that time it wasn't a real HUD, more similar in concept to this:

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/...enabled-goggles.html

It did give stroke timing and showed if you were over or under for a certain target pace.....I did think that made most sense (TMI in the pool is not good).
Last edited by: windschatten: Oct 23, 17 23:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ditch calories and replace that with pace. WTF will I do with calories? Stop and suck the blood out of a carp?

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
maybe you want a Platysens Marlin; it tells you that (and a few other things) via a bone conduction 'speaker' that sits on your cheekbone. I got one earlier this year through either kickstarter or indiegogo.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwim: A Heads Up Display for Swimmers [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If they could integrate this system with something like the Finis Duo to play music and provide audio cues (e.g. "100 meters, pace 1:10.... next interval leave in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, GO!"). I'm just thinking out loud here, but maybe you could have a structured workout mode where the volume of the music would change relative to your pace (too fast it gets louder than a preferred setting, too slow and it gets quiet).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmmm... First off, your space suit is fatally flawed. You need some gloves, dude.

I agree with some of the other comments here...

1. What does it do in OWS environment? If you aren't lapping, will it cope?

2. Needs to display current pace, GPS style. That way you know if you are swimming backwards and need to kick into a sprint to pull out of it. And distance (in miles or km).

3. Calories? I don't know if there are carp in the ocean, but unless you are going to tell the sharks that I'm not a high calorie snack, pretty worthless as a HUD. Which begs the question, if I've burned 1,000 calories, does the shark consume 1,000 less calories when he mows on me? Take that, sucker.

4. Shark detecting technology would sell it. Like that green radar stuff in submarines, but for sharks. And some beeping noise for sound effects.

5. It seems like it could obstruct sighting. Can it be made to be semi-translucent instead of a block right in front of your eye? What if that is the strong eye?

6. Do the goggles come in something other than dark? It gets foggy and overcast at the beach and it seems like it would be pretty dark with those googles.

7. I have yet to figure out what to do with HR in the water.

But it is cool. I would beta test it in OWS if the offer was extended. ;-p

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ZenTriBrett wrote:
Ditch calories and replace that with pace. WTF will I do with calories? Stop and suck the blood out of a carp?

Quoted for posterity - Ha!

I wrote this, you should read it:
https://www.slowtwitch.com/...n_Swimming_6700.html
Quote Reply
Re: Zwim: A Heads Up Display for Swimmers [SLOgoing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think that's a suit for walking towards lava? Either way, his hands would be like crispy fried chicken.

I like the shark radar idea. It needs a rotating cop light that we can strap to our heads that shoots out a laser. If we use a weak laser, then it goes "ping!" if it finds anything big. But if we use a powerful laser (pro version "murderizer" upgrade tm cc ®) then it slices through any bad fish and also our competition. That could attract piranhas, but that the problem of the guy behind us, not ours.

Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shark radar + kill laser would be useful. But without the kill-chain, I don't think I want to know. I'm not Michael Phelps, so I won't be out-swimming the shark, so it's not really actionable intel. I'd just as soon remain oblivious.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is why I love this place. Shark gun! Duh. Why didn't I think of that. Two blinks to fire. Photon torpedoes would be cool too.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ZenTriBrett wrote:
I think that's a suit for walking towards lava? Either way, his hands would be like crispy fried chicken.

Asking the real questions here. How come the road through the volcano cave on Watopia island isn't a river of molten asphalt? :)
Quote Reply
Re: Zwim: A Heads Up Display for Swimmers [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess we agreed to suspend disbelief when a 12 year old biked by us at 30 watts/kg. lol.

Quote Reply
Re: Zwim: A Heads Up Display for Swimmers [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
ZenTriBrett wrote:

Asking the real questions here. How come the road through the volcano cave on Watopia island isn't a river of molten asphalt? :)

Sometimes my wheels will sink into the asphalt and I'm riding a good couple inches inside the asphalt, so maybe it is. The other day I was passing somebody in the cave and almost veered off the road. Went waaaaay too wide around the guy. I almost fell into the lava, but was saved by some programming.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ZenTriBrett wrote:
I like the shark radar idea. It needs a rotating cop light that we can strap to our heads that shoots out a laser. If we use a weak laser, then it goes "ping!" if it finds anything big. But if we use a powerful laser (pro version "murderizer" upgrade tm cc ®) then it slices through any bad fish and also our competition. That could attract piranhas, but that the problem of the guy behind us, not ours.

Takes us one step closer to merging Ironman with Iron Man. Yo dawg...

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m going to be laughing about this all day
Quote Reply
Re: Zwim: A Heads Up Display for Swimmers [tallswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tallswimmer wrote:
ZenTriBrett wrote:

Quoted for posterity - Ha!

thank you. I nearly wet myself when I read that line.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ZenTriBrett wrote:

This post is going to take the post of the month award. Not even close.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swimmo just designed a watch that is suppose to do just that. It even has alarms that let you know when you're off pace. Supposedly you can use different parameters as a tracker. Fairly new so haven't been able to find any reviews
Quote Reply
Re: Zwim: A Heads Up Display for Swimmers [kitch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For OWS, all I want is directional heading. If your goggles can tell you your heading, you sight once per bouy/turn, then hold your line.

I actually tried putting a tiny compass in my goggles once, but its impossible to read that close to your eye.
Last edited by: fishybike: Oct 30, 17 14:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lol. You made me laugh!
Quote Reply
Re: Zwim: A Heads Up Display for Swimmers [SLOgoing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
4. Shark detecting technology would sell it. Like that green radar stuff in submarines, but for sharks. And some beeping noise for sound effects.

Best idea yet. I’m thinking the sound effect from electronic battleship.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: Zwim: A Heads Up Display for Swimmers [fishybike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fishybike wrote:
For OWS, all I want is directional heading. If your goggles can tell you your heading, you sight once per bouy/turn, then hold your line.

This.

If there were goggles that can keep me on course or at least in a straight line, I'll buy. Until then, I'll stick with what I have.
Quote Reply

Prev Next