Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

recommend 10 year smoke alarms
Quote | Reply
Anyone have good luck/can recommend 10 year smoke alarms without spending hundreds of dollars (e.g. Nest).

Just purchased a house and local ordinance is 10 year lithium or hardwired. Need - 1 in each bedroom, 1 in hallway, 1 on each floor plus 1 Carbon Monoxide detector on each floor.

Spent a fair amount of time looking at different ones and in general the Amazon reviews are all terrible. Currently looking at 3 combination smoke/CO and 3 Smoke (2 photoelectronic, 1 ionization)
Quote Reply
Re: recommend 10 year smoke alarms [p4ckfill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can pick up First Alert, 10-year hardwired from Lowes about $25 each. They're relatively inexpensive. No way would I spend that much on a Nest smoke detector.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Double check your ordinance. In my hood, they not only have to be hardwired with battery backup but all have to be connected. Meaning if one goes off, they all go off. What I also found was strange was they they all have to be the same brand as well.

Kiddie and First Alert are the most common ones. Oddly it is hard to find a combo smoke/CO detector in-store at Home Depot, I had to order it online.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are really going to have this device for 10 years check out this smart device:

https://nest.com/...e-co-alarm/overview/

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought these at Costco on sale $22.99 a week ago. They tested well.

https://www.costco.com/First-Alert-10-Year-Photoelectric-Smoke-%2526-Fire-Alarm%2c-2-pack.product.100351491.html
Quote Reply
Re: recommend 10 year smoke alarms [AndysStrongAle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Double check your ordinance. In my hood, they not only have to be hardwired with battery backup but all have to be connected. Meaning if one goes off, they all go off. What I also found was strange was they they all have to be the same brand as well.

Kiddie and First Alert are the most common ones. Oddly it is hard to find a combo smoke/CO detector in-store at Home Depot, I had to order it online.
Thanks. Double checked to make sure I am fine. All new construction must have hardwired, but older homes can have 10 sealed batteries.

I was just surprised to see the amount of negative reviews for both Kidde and First Alert on Amazon for basic 10 year alarms.
Quote Reply
Re: recommend 10 year smoke alarms [getcereal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:

Thanks. Were they 22.99 each or for the two pack? If the two-pack price, will have to make a trip to Costco.
Quote Reply
Re: recommend 10 year smoke alarms [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkca1 wrote:
If you are really going to have this device for 10 years check out this smart device:

https://nest.com/...e-co-alarm/overview/

It would be really cool to be able to hush the damn alarm with a smartphone. Much better than what currently happens at my house, when the toast burns and I'm frantically climbing up on the kitchen counter to reach the smoke alarm while 100 decibels pierce my snowflake eardrums.
Quote Reply
Re: recommend 10 year smoke alarms [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hear that. There is a cool video online that shows how much faster a home built in this century burns:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmb93hoVHFs

5 minutes could be the difference between life and death so why would anyone skimp on this?

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
p4ckfill wrote:
Quote:

Thanks. Were they 22.99 each or for the two pack? If the two-pack price, will have to make a trip to Costco.

2 pack
Quote Reply
Re: recommend 10 year smoke alarms [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We had a couple of the 10yr fire alarms. When I bought and installed them, I noted on one of the packages that it said that once it goes off, the alarm is "done" and has to be discarded. That was such a surprising thing to read that I kinda dismissed it with a "ok, I just won't put this one in the kitchen".

About a year later one of the alarms went off for no obvious reason. Since it was "one time use", I was now holding a $20 paper-weight. I replaced it with a cheap one that requires occasionally battery replacement. No more one-time use fire alarms for me.

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Quote Reply