Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Fat Bike recommendations?
Quote | Reply
Literally, the only thing I know about them is........that I want one. In looking at what's available, locally, the Specialized FatBoy is the one that has my attention. We have a Trek dealer, but I don't think they make a "true" fat bike. Felt, Cannondale, Scott have local representation (LBSs), also. I'm just not familiar with any other brands OR what the "must-have" options are.

I'm guessing my budget is $1.5-2K. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Fat Bike recommendations? [nc452010] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trek has the Farley line of fat bikes with 4.5 inch tires, and even though it's not a true fat bike, you might look at the Stache. It's a 29+ bike with 3 inch 29+ Boost tires. If you're looking to ride in powder or sand, it might not cut it, but otherwise it's a decent mix of fat and mtb.

https://www.trekbikes.com/...018/?colorCode=black

https://www.trekbikes.com/...bikes/stache/c/B335/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm going to recommend something a little off the beaten path.

https://elevenbike.com/

Caveat/background - I don't own one, but a previous boss owns the company and if I were to get a fat bike it would be from him. He is pretty nit picky and has the engineer chops to back it up.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you want to try a fat bike with a lower price outlay look at BikesDirect.com

Formerly DrD
Quote Reply
Re: Fat Bike recommendations? [Broken Leg Guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you are just screwing around in the wood with the fatbike, then I wouldn't worry too much about top-shelf components or weight. Look at something like a Surly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First question is usage: where and in what conditions are you going to ride?

General rule of thumb 26x5 setup for snow riding

26x4 or 27.5x4 for general and “regular” riding with some snow riding.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Quote Reply
Re: Fat Bike recommendations? [tri-tele] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great questions.......

Well, I'd use it on the trails around home (foothills of NC mountains). There's also a couple beach events (we're 4 hours from the beach) - including a fat bike triathlon - that I'm interested in.

We get very little snow, so that wouldn't be a big determining factor in my buying decision.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like a good case for the trek Farley.
The Mtbr classifieds is a good place to start looking for fat bike bits and they have a whole fat bike specific forum section there as well.

If looking to get into it with as little faffing around as possible the Surly Wednesday would also be a really good option.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm on year 5 of a Salsa Beargrease. It's really been a "set it and forget it" type deal. Minimal maintenance, no issues...pretty much the most worry free bike I've owned. If your LBS has a QBP account (and they do), they can get Salsa.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check out Reid Bicycles. The Zeus is a great bang for your buck. I am a dealer so I am a little biased.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you want suspension? The Cannondale Fat CAAD has a really narrow Q factor for a fat bike. Most fat bikes have a really wide pedal stance that you will notice after riding for more than thirty or forty minutes.

Also, the Trek Stache, while not a true fat bike (29x3.0), is an absolute hoot. I'm not a competent offload rider by any stretch but I demoed one last year and it was absolutely comical how much you could lean that bike over in a turn.
Quote Reply
Re: Fat Bike recommendations? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I have to be a little careful in what I choose. The Fat CX and tris I'm interested in stipulate the tires must be 4" (or greater).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been through half a dozen fat bikes in the last three years -- five were of the china carbon/open mold variety, but as I gained more experience with bikes I decided to switch to the Salsa Beargrease, and man does it make all the difference. The compliance is outstanding, and it's beautiful and fits me perfectly. I'm no expert on off road geo, but I'd give that frame a serious look. I got mine like-new used for under $1k, built up with Nextie rims and i9 hubs, and a SRAM X01/XX1 mix and SRM spider...because watts.

The only thing I would change is the external routing, but overall thrilled with the Beargrease. I will be keeping this one for a long time.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Felt DD line is a great choice. I got mine last winter and love pounding the trails on it. It can fit up to 5" tires so no issues if you want to go super fat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It’s a little off the beaten path but I absolutely love my Advocate Watchman. Used it a ton last winter on both groomed and ungroomed snow as well as on local trails. Worth a look!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Trek Farley 7. It's a true fat bike. Works fantastically in snow and on the beach. I love it - by far most fun I have ever had on a bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Fat Bike recommendations? [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is that a suspension front fork? Never seen that.

I've got a Bluto front fork.
Quote Reply
Re: Fat Bike recommendations? [Broken Leg Guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Broken Leg Guy wrote:
If you want to try a fat bike with a lower price outlay look at BikesDirect.com

I have a Sturgis. Love it, its a bit heavier than other fat bikes but it works really well. I went to bikeisland (sister site) and found one $150 off with some scratches that I have yet to find.

I'd say based on your budget, buy one of their top end ones and get some upgrades (tubeless & better tires) and buy some gear to keep you warm come winter.
Last edited by: AndysStrongAle: Oct 23, 17 10:20
Quote Reply
Re: Fat Bike recommendations? [fishgo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's a fork made by Lauf. It uses carbon fiber leaf springs to provide suspension. It's not as refined/capable as a traditional suspension fork but the upshot is that you'll never need to service it and its fairly light.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recommend you forget the whole thing and save yourself $1.5-2K; fat bikes are dumb

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought a used Cannondale FAT CAAD for winter riding. Mine has an OLAF front suspension fork, so I can also use as a MTB. Fun riding over just about anything.
Quote Reply
Re: Fat Bike recommendations? [fishgo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fishgo wrote:
Is that a suspension front fork? Never seen that.

I've got a Bluto front fork.

Yes, it's a Lauf fork. Really great option tantamount to 60mm travel. Quite a bit lighter than Bluto, no maintenance required, and small bump compliance is totally different and IMO far superior to the ride of a standard solo air suspension fork when you are riding on terrain that you don't need any or much suspension (e.g. a fat bike triathlon, rail trail fat bike race, etc.). You really have to try one out to feel what I mean, but I have them on fat bike and gravel bike and they are perfect for those use cases
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bike Cycles in Wilmington can help you set up a Fatboy. Good folks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check out the Framed Alaskan, http://www.framedbikes.com/alaskan-carbon-fat/
Quote Reply
Re: Fat Bike recommendations? [MacCTD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've owned a Motobecane Boris the Evil Brut Sprung (yes, that's the name of the bike) for about two years. It costs about $1,700 and is a very solid bike for the money. I use it primarily as a snow bike and run five inch Surly Bud/Lou tires on it. These are massive 26x5 tires with very tall knobs,not great for your usage.

Think about how you're going to ride the bike. Fat bikes vary as widely as regular mountain bikes. Bikes like the Farley and Kona Wozo are very much modern trail bikes with slack head angles, 1x drive trains and very short chainstays. These are great if you're going to use it primarily as a trail bike to rail berms and take jumps. Others like my bike, the RSD Mayor, Advocate Watchman etc are much more suited to snow riding or bikepacking: longer chainstays to help with stability, 2x drive trains to give you ultra-low gearing and steeper head angles to lessen steering slop. Again, it depends how you're going to use the bike.
Last edited by: hiro11: Oct 23, 17 13:09
Quote Reply

Prev Next