Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Rest in Peace, Gord Downie [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love how every station I tuned into today (even CBC!) was playing Gord's music, all day. What a tribute!
Quote Reply
Re: Rest in Peace, Gord Downie [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sad day for sure.

We knew it was coming, but it's still hard when it gets here.

It goes without saying he's a Canadian icon and legend, who still had so much to give.

Thanks, Gord. RIP.

Here he, and the Tragically Hip are at their best - "Grace, To" - live from Woodstock '99 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJjmYa16kVk

I love the opening little ramble word riffing, that's not even part of the lyrics (Something Gord was always doing) - "I feel Woodstock-eriffic. . . . . We crossed when the lake was frozen! Like exiles from the Canada's of your soul."

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I feel like I can't be the only one. I know Gord Downie was part of the tragically hip but only in the last year or so when his health situation became public news. If you asked me two years ago I would have not known. I'm 51 so I think I has been around whilst they were doing their thing. I spent 1992-1994 in Kingston even. It sort of feels like when people who never watch baseball all of a sudden start watching and are "avid fans" because the local team is in the world series. I had a conversation with someone today who felt the same way. Best wishes to all the Tragically Hip fans.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Rest in Peace, Gord Downie [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
?! Holly phack Len... whatya been doing for the past 30 yrs guy?.. walking around with ear plugs and blinders on!??!... lol
You never heard of him until last year!!? .. wow!
A more fitting analogy to your baseball one would be the guy who hates hockey , knows absolutely nothing about the sport but he's still heard of Wayne Gretzky.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NYT obit for Gord.

Gord Downie, a Canadian Rock Legend, Sings Goodbye - The New York Times

"The place of honor that Mr. Downie occupies in Canada’s national imagination has no parallel in the United States. Imagine Bruce Springsteen, Bob Dylan and Michael Stipe combined into one sensitive, oblique poet-philosopher, and you’re getting close. "

Sounds about right.

Also I heard this one today...
"looked up to the Gord above and said hey man, thanks"

A false humanity is used to impose its opposite, by people whose cruelty is equalled only by their arrogance
Last edited by: Chri55: Oct 19, 17 20:11
Quote Reply
Re: Rest in Peace, Gord Downie [Chri55] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chri55 wrote:
NYT obit for Gord.

Gord Downie, a Canadian Rock Legend, Sings Goodbye - The New York Times

"The place of honor that Mr. Downie occupies in Canada’s national imagination has no parallel in the United States. Imagine Bruce Springsteen, Bob Dylan and Michael Stipe combined into one sensitive, oblique poet-philosopher, and you’re getting close. "

Sounds about right.

Also I heard this one today...
"looked up to the Gord above and said hey man, thanks"

That's awesome.

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply

Prev Next