Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Lange Watch Conspiracy [Don_W] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don_W wrote:
Mike Alexander wrote:
I really hope this is correct. If so I applaud him. It's about time athletes made an effort to be a bit more 'professional' by which I mean make a stance to get paid what they deserve. Seeing Ryf shamelessly drinking Red Bull and being supplied a Mercedes shows me they do have worth.

Yeah I have no problem with this. Ryf drinking red bull at the finish. Carfrae hawking chocolate milk. This is how these guys pay the bills. I do find those Red Bull hats ugly as all hell though...

Yep agree about the hats but they somehow look better on Lucy Charles
Quote Reply
Re: Lange Watch Conspiracy [cowboy7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not just watch Sponsors, but Garmin is competing in power meters and all sorts of other things so it totally is a Pro move to remove it prior to the finish line pictures as those will likely be marketing gold.
Quote Reply
Re: Lange Watch Conspiracy [dbraat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Since this is my topic and I am the only wearable tech rep on this board, attend the ST Kona gathering, I will contribute. This is complicated and comes down to budgets and various levels of being a pro. In years past, just look at the awesome photos Slowtwitch has of what they wear coming out of T2 in Kona, most elect to use a certain brand but are not likely sponsored or even in contact with them. Research will show as stated on this board, look at an athletes sponsors or partners and look for an opportunity to approach an athlete. Partners are usually product only and at some level of being a pro, some will add this or not to their website. For Polar, it is just not possible to pay all athletes. Some athletes are secure with major sponsorship dollars from title sponsors and might take free product. When I am in discussions with an athlete, I clearly state that with product only, comes limitations and we fully understand if a watch is not used in a race or not tagged in social media. Some athletes can not get past no financial support and we do not proceed with building a relationship and some athletes are happy to be recognized, have a name and email to contact for support and we begin a product partnership. Why should should an athlete use product for free and give a brand free exposure?? It is different when the athlete has a relationship with a brand who has been supporting them all year, wishes them well prior to a race and post race emails and stays connected with them them. I support many athletes and they appreciate being supported, especially many female professionals. Good product, customer service and support goes a long way and now word of mouth has a few more professionals speaking to each other and this leads to more athletes getting product support from us. Once in the Polar circle, we support athletes with product for in store appearances and raffles, online contests etc. Polar has a blog and we might ask a product only athlete for a contribution. Within the blog content, the athlete can mention other sponsors and even wear a shirt that might get them media incentive money. It the top 15 images are posted, we will be well represented and all Polar wearing athletes are actually have a relationship with us and we want to retain them. Hope this helps with wearable insight within the elite circle.
Quote Reply
Re: Lange Watch Conspiracy [Wayne@PolarUSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just in case anyone missed it on the coverage.... Still, I do wonder what is the reason for this action?? Sponsorship issues??

Team Zoot-Texas, and Pickle Juice
Quote Reply
Re: Lange Watch Conspiracy [Don_W] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don_W wrote:
Mike Alexander wrote:

I really hope this is correct. If so I applaud him. It's about time athletes made an effort to be a bit more 'professional' by which I mean make a stance to get paid what they deserve. Seeing Ryf shamelessly drinking Red Bull and being supplied a Mercedes shows me they do have worth.

Yeah I have no problem with this. Ryf drinking red bull at the finish. Carfrae hawking chocolate milk. This is how these guys pay the bills. I do find those Red Bull hats ugly as all hell though...

Money talks. BS walks. If people were going to make training decisions and buy stuff based on what I use/wear, you better believe I'm getting paid. The instant triathlon crosses from hobby to job, it gets real.

I had my kitchen remodeled and while they were working the company put a sign on my lawn advertising they were doing the work. I took it down. The next day, the owner asked me if the sign blew away. I told him it was in the garage and if he wanted it back up, I wanted the price I was paying to reflect him using me for advertising. He laughed. I didn't. The sign went in the trash.

Did the same thing the last time I bought a car. The dealer likes to put that "Bob's Auto Sales" sticker on the brand new car. I told them I wanted it off unless they were going to adjust the price of the car to pay me to advertise for them. Again, they laughed. I didn't. No sticker.

Business is business.
Quote Reply
Re: Lange Watch Conspiracy [DJRed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brilliant response!

I thought I was the only one who was like this. Same for branded t-shirts, caps etc.
Don't even get me started on "brand ambassadors" 😂
Quote Reply
Re: Lange Watch Conspiracy [ghettodeluxe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ghettodeluxe wrote:
Brilliant response!

I thought I was the only one who was like this. Same for branded t-shirts, caps etc.
Don't even get me started on "brand ambassadors" 😂

I make exemptions to that rule if I get a chance to make said merchandise the butt of a joke or use it as satire (or to make fun of myself).

I was sporting a "TaylorMade" golf trucker hat during my last WTC triathlon.

Was chuckling the whole run....
Last edited by: windschatten: Oct 17, 17 20:50
Quote Reply
Re: Lange Watch Conspiracy [Taugen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Taugen wrote:
Just in case anyone missed it on the coverage.... Still, I do wonder what is the reason for this action?? Sponsorship issues??

He wasn't getting paid by the watch company, so he removed it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haha, that's an interesting comparison but I don't think it's entirely equivalent.

At the end of the day, Lange is trying to protect the value of his current and future sponsorship deals by sending out the message "you can't advertise here for free". If his current sponsors are paying thousands of dollars per year to have their name on his tri-suit, they'll probably be a bit pissed off to see other companies getting exposure for free. Same goes for future deals; if a watch company thinks that he'll do it for free then they'll be less likely to give him a deal next time round.

In your case, sure the kitchen-remodeller's sign is a bit rude and presumptuous on his part if he didn't mention it up front, but the reality of that situation is that unless you're going to be having your house remodelled multiple times per year and/or already have other companies paying you to advertise on your lawn, then taking the sign down is a lose-lose situation. You're potentially going to annoy a contractor and he's going to revise down the value of the work that he gives you based on his perceived loss-of-advertising and lack of motivation to keep you happy.

However, the bumper sticker I can understand because they look like shit...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am the EXACT same way with serve providers and car dealerships. Unless I am getting some cheddar for their adverting it's not happening. When I bought my last car I told the dealership I wanted their name sticker off my car or else the deal was off.

B
Quote Reply

Prev Next