Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Lange Watch Conspiracy
Quote | Reply
Okay so that's being a little dramatic.

Did anyone else notice Patrick remove his watch and stuff it in the side of his kit just before the finish line? You can see the outline in a few of his finisher pictures as well. Obviously this isn't a big deal but can anyone think of a reason for doing this? Is it as simple as them not being a sponsor of his? Or he thought the bulge under his kit looked better in pictures then a simple watch on his wrist?

Not a big deal but I'm all race talked out and it had me curious.
Quote Reply
Re: Lange Watch Conspiracy [dbraat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would guess that he isn't getting paid to wear it, so he took it off.
Quote Reply
Re: Lange Watch Conspiracy [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have noticed other pro's do the same thing....I don't blame them. Similar to blacking out tire manufacturers or logos on shoes, bikes, components, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Lange Watch Conspiracy [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To be in the winning chute in the biggest event of the sport & to have enough calm to remember to do that--amongst all the excitement...wow, that is impressive. The winners are usually so pressed and exhausted by that point they are tunnel-vision to the finish line. He stopped and jumped around like he wasn't even tired after the line--but to remember to take a watch off on top of that. Jeezus!
Quote Reply
Re: Lange Watch Conspiracy [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
I would guess that he isn't getting paid to wear it, so he took it off.

So companies actually get pissed a pro they aren't sponsoring wears their gear and wins??? Or is it that his sponsors would get pissed he wasn't wearing theirs?

Use this link to save $5 off your USAT membership renewal:
https://membership.usatriathlon.org/...A2-BAD7-6137B629D9B7
Quote Reply
Re: Lange Watch Conspiracy [AlyraD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, the athlete says I’m not getting jack squat from you so during the next hour of interviews they’re not gonna see your company on my wrist.
Quote Reply
Re: Lange Watch Conspiracy [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And who knows, maybe the athlete asked for sponsorship, the watch company says 'nope', so ... screw you watch company. Of course, if the history is anything like this, it costs him nothing to leave it on and he goes to watch company and says - hey, lots of free advertising, how about some cash next season? If not, then off to watch company #2...
Quote Reply
Re: Lange Watch Conspiracy [giorgitd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
giorgitd wrote:
And who knows, maybe the athlete asked for sponsorship, the watch company says 'nope', so ... screw you watch company. Of course, if the history is anything like this, it costs him nothing to leave it on and he goes to watch company and says - hey, lots of free advertising, how about some cash next season? If not, then off to watch company #2...

Yes, part of why he won was because he was able to channel this anger that well.

I bet it was his race plan all along.

I don't think he will accept sponsorship from said company (and it is not hard to figure out who it is) down the road either.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dbraat wrote:

Did anyone else notice Patrick remove his watch and stuff it in the side of his kit just before the finish line? You can see the outline in a few of his finisher pictures as well. Obviously this isn't a big deal but can anyone think of a reason for doing this? Is it as simple as them not being a sponsor of his? Or he thought the bulge under his kit looked better in pictures then a simple watch on his wrist?

True story. A Garmin rep tackled me at the end of my IM and removed my watch because they didn't want it associated with my finishing time. True story.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mike Alexander wrote:
I have noticed other pro's do the same thing....I don't blame them. Similar to blacking out tire manufacturers or logos on shoes, bikes, components, etc.

I really hope this is correct. If so I applaud him. It's about time athletes made an effort to be a bit more 'professional' by which I mean make a stance to get paid what they deserve. Seeing Ryf shamelessly drinking Red Bull and being supplied a Mercedes shows me they do have worth.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dbraat wrote:
Did anyone else notice Patrick remove his watch and stuff it in the side of his kit just before the finish line? Obviously this isn't a big deal but can anyone think of a reason for doing this?

My guess is he didn't cover the full distance and he was worried about Derek at Marathon Investigation buying the hi-res finisher photos and outing him.
Last edited by: vitalstatistix: Oct 17, 17 1:17
Quote Reply
Re: Lange Watch Conspiracy [InvictaScoop] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike Alexander wrote:
I really hope this is correct. If so I applaud him. It's about time athletes made an effort to be a bit more 'professional' by which I mean make a stance to get paid what they deserve. Seeing Ryf shamelessly drinking Red Bull and being supplied a Mercedes shows me they do have worth.

Yeah I have no problem with this. Ryf drinking red bull at the finish. Carfrae hawking chocolate milk. This is how these guys pay the bills. I do find those Red Bull hats ugly as all hell though...

"The first virtue in a soldier is endurance of fatigue; courage is only the second virtue."
- Napoleon Bonaparte
Quote Reply
Re: Lange Watch Conspiracy [giorgitd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
giorgitd wrote:

+1

If you look at the 2016 pictures, lots pictures of him at the finish line and podium shots, all with him wearing the same watch... this year he decides to take it off - it doesn't take Columbo to figure it out!

Quote Reply
Re: Lange Watch Conspiracy [awenborn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Frodeno did the same thing last year, watch at 12:08

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Zw1LWWYAkk
Quote Reply
Re: Lange Watch Conspiracy [DJRed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DJRed wrote:
dbraat wrote:

True story. A Garmin rep tackled me at the end of my IM and removed my watch because they didn't want it associated with my finishing time. True story.

Really? Where?
Quote Reply
Re: Lange Watch Conspiracy [PT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PT wrote:
DJRed wrote:
dbraat wrote:

Really? Where?

Are you a Pro? Even if you are...this is hard to believe. What year?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe his wrist was sore.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haha, I think it's safe to assume this is a joke...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Part of being a Pro is zipping up and being Sponsor correct at the finish.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
awenborn wrote:
Haha, I think it's safe to assume this is a joke...

Bro, Did you not read the part where I said, "True story"? And I said it twice. Plus, it's on the internet. Of course it's true.

Oh, alright. You got me. It's not true.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But did Sanders remove his allegedly malfunctioning watch before the finish too?

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe he's sponsored by Team Timex. At every race I've been to in the last 2 years I can't recall any of those guys/girls wearing anything but garmins during the run.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
An interesting decision, because the company could not use pictures of him for advertising without his explicit permission anyway. And - knowing that he would have photos - he has an awesome entre to get a sponsorship deal.

Though maybe he's in discussion with a competitor. If he'd been using a Garmin, but was in talks with Polar (for example), then I can see not wanting to have a watch in what might be a big announcement for 2018...

It's an interesting decision because I think his removal of the watch at the finish likely draws more attention to it than if he'd just left it on and removed it subtly at some point over the line.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Lange Watch Conspiracy [DJRed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DJRed wrote:
dbraat wrote:

With the trash race i had a IMMT Polar should have definitely done that to me. LOL.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dbraat wrote:

Pretty obvious. If you look at his website under sponsors there isn't any watch company

https://www.patrick-lange.org/sponsoren/

To me what happened is this. He wore a Garmin and took it at the finish line because he may already have a deal lined up with somebody else, and he didn't want his pictures at the finish (which will be everywhere for the next year) with the Garmin watch.

Would not be one bit surprised if we see him in Polar next year.
Quote Reply

Prev Next