Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Navy Seal on Howard Stern, how we got Bin Laden
Quote | Reply
Bin Laden's last minutes and how it all came about were the topic for over an hour on Howard Stern last July(I just got around to listening to it). We all of course saw the news and heard stories, but here it is right from one of the guys who was part of it all. Super interesting how we actually found him and then how this one guy who was 7th in line ended up being the one to put 3 bullets into BinLaden.

And how about the guy in front of him who figured the two women in the room were strapped with bombs and jumps on them to protect as much as possible other guys to finish the mission.

Worst for me was that most of them believed that they would ultimately die in this mission but could not tell their families. Just have that last dinner with wife and kids and say see you later honey, brutal...

Here are a few minutes of the interview, probably have to be a Sirius subscriber to get the whole interview, or one of you who knows how maybe can put it up here..

howard stern interview navy seal
Last edited by: monty: Oct 12, 17 11:40
Quote Reply
Re: Navy Seal on Howard Stern, how we got Bin Laden [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wasn't this story supposed to stay secret? If I remember well, after OBL was killed, the military said there will be no talk show, movies, books, reveling the identity of the person who killed him etc. I might be wrong on this. Don't hear similar stories from Brits, Russians, Chinese...
Quote Reply
Re: Navy Seal on Howard Stern, how we got Bin Laden [softrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
His book The Operator that has tells this story was vetted by the Pentagon.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Pain or damage don't end the world, or despair, or beatings. The world ends when you're dead, until then you're due for more punishment. Stand it like a man. And give some back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Bin Laden's last minutes and how it all came about were the topic for over an hour on Howard Stern last July(I just got around to listening to it). We all of course saw the news and heard stories, but here it is right from one of the guys who was part of it all. Super interesting how we actually found him and then how this one guy who was 7th in line ended up being the one to put 3 bullets into BinLaden.

And how about the guy in front of him who figured the two women in the room were strapped with bombs and jumps on them to protect as much as possible other guys to finish the mission.

Worst for me was that most of them believed that they would ultimately die in this mission but could not tell their families. Just have that last dinner with wife and kids and say see you later honey, brutal...

Here are a few minutes of the interview, probably have to be a Sirius subscriber to get the whole interview, or one of you who knows how maybe can put it up here..

howard stern interview navy seal

I really wish these operators today would keep quiet about that stuff.

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Navy Seal on Howard Stern, how we got Bin Laden [coecoe13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
coecoe13 wrote:

That simply means there isn't anything classified in the final book. It's worth mentioning that he had his book reviewed after a previous SEAL wrote a book on the same subject, failed to have it reviewed, and was subject to penalties as a result.

This stuff isn't supposed to get out, and the guys who do this stuff aren't supposed to seek fame for doing their jobs.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Navy Seal on Howard Stern, how we got Bin Laden [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
coecoe13 wrote:

That simply means there isn't anything classified in the final book. It's worth mentioning that he had his book reviewed after a previous SEAL wrote a book on the same subject, failed to have it reviewed, and was subject to penalties as a result.

This stuff isn't supposed to get out, and the guys who do this stuff aren't supposed to seek fame for doing their jobs.

Amen.

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Navy Seal on Howard Stern, how we got Bin Laden [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
I really wish these operators today would keep quiet about that stuff.

This!

The vast majority of our "Quiet Professionals" brethren do very well in living up to that moniker, but these fekkin' chuckleheads need to STFU and quit cashing it in for their 15 minutes of fame.

Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball
Quote Reply
Re: Navy Seal on Howard Stern, how we got Bin Laden [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
slowguy wrote:
coecoe13 wrote:

Amen.

I guess that the money from books, movies, talks etc are just too tempting. It seems that, at the end, it really comes down to fuck the army/country whatever, I wan t the $$$
Quote Reply
Re: Navy Seal on Howard Stern, how we got Bin Laden [softrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess that the money from books, movies, talks etc are just too tempting. It seems that, at the end, it really comes down to fuck the army/country whatever, I wan t the $$$ //

What amazes me is that you can be a politician and serve a term or two and you get your pension for life. But put your life on the line over and over in one of these elite units and go out under 20 years and you get no pension. I believe Howard asked him if he got a pension and he said no. I mean it would be really tough to do 20 years as a seal under those conditions he described, especially with a family like a lot of the guys had. Think at the very least these types of service guys ought to at least get what the people that send them into harms way without stubbing a toe.

It would be hard once you left to not take advantage of a situation like this given the circumstances, and it was all approved so what really is everyones beef again?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's actually a few stories and reports out there that contradict a lot of what O'Neill says in his book and interviews, chief among those that he was the first one to shoot Bin Laden. There's no disputing that O'Neill shot Bin Laden but the supposed real story is he shot Bin Laden after Bin Laden had already been put down and shot a couple of times by another operator. It was not Bissonnette but the operator O'Neill described as having jumped on the two women to protect the other operators. Basically that O'Neill's shots were more trophy hunting than anything else, and against orders to not shoot Bin Laden in the face unless left with no choice. So while O'Neill and Bissonnette sought limelight and profit from something that should've been anonymous, the guy who really dropped Bin Laden remains anonymous. That Intercept article from a few months back had this to say:

Quote:

Two different SEALs, Robert O’Neill and Matthew Bissonnette, have publicly taken credit for killing bin Laden. According to multiple sources, both of their accounts contain multiple self-serving falsehoods. The texture of those accounts reveals much about what went wrong with the most celebrated special operations command in the U.S. military. The falsehoods, both significant and slight, demonstrate that even when conducting the most important missions, SEAL Team 6 was unable to rise above the culture of deceit, personal enrichment, and self-aggrandizement that has corrupted a fighting unit legendary for its discipline and code of honor.
“The beauty of what they have constructed,” said a former teammate about how Bissonnette and O’Neill cornered the market on the bin Laden raid, “is that there is only one guy, essentially, who can come forward and say they’re lying — and he won’t ever talk.”

All that stated, I liked O'Neill's interview with Stern despite him possibly getting loose with some of the facts. He was very likeable. Dude took part in some serious badass stuff during his time with the SEALs, but I'm squarely in the camp that he should remain silent and anonymous. Then again, he did do something ultra famous and unprecedented so monetizing that is something I'd not debate him about.
Last edited by: The GMAN: Oct 12, 17 16:17
Quote Reply
Re: Navy Seal on Howard Stern, how we got Bin Laden [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He was very likeable. //

Thats what I thought too, and he kept trying to steer the whole thing to many others that were responsible, he was just the trigger in the right place at the right time. Howard kept trying to make him to be the hero, but he really just kept at the its a team effort and anyone could have ended up in his spot. And to him the real person that found him was the lady(who he wouldn't name, but sounds like a CIA analyst) who knew every detail of what was to go down in that house. And most all her speculation was spot on apparently. And then he said the real hero was the guy that threw himself on the women, figuring he was going to block the explosion from his buddies. He made it plain that he was just doing a job and hitting a guy 3 feet away in the head was not the heroic thing about the whole episode.

He even gave Obama some huge props in the decision process, guess we really can't know how bad it would have been for him had they failed, certainly would not have been re elected I would guess. And the corrospondents dinner story while this was all going down was pretty good too, especially in light of the joke that was told about Osama that night..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
he needs to shut his pie hole,that shit has at least a 50yr cap on it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
I guess that the money from books, movies, talks etc are just too tempting. It seems that, at the end, it really comes down to fuck the army/country whatever, I wan t the $$$ //

What amazes me is that you can be a politician and serve a term or two and you get your pension for life. But put your life on the line over and over in one of these elite units and go out under 20 years and you get no pension. I believe Howard asked him if he got a pension and he said no. I mean it would be really tough to do 20 years as a seal under those conditions he described, especially with a family like a lot of the guys had. Think at the very least these types of service guys ought to at least get what the people that send them into harms way without stubbing a toe.

It would be hard once you left to not take advantage of a situation like this given the circumstances, and it was all approved so what really is everyones beef again?

What I have also learned recently having to go through a death in our family and petitioning to get them into Arlington is that Congressfolk get in as well as their spouses and kids. But my cousin who served two tours in Afghanistan as a heli pilot and then had to get out due to depression and PTSD, was denied access. Who REALLY deserves to be in there?
Quote Reply
Re: Navy Seal on Howard Stern, how we got Bin Laden [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But my cousin who served two tours in Afghanistan as a heli pilot and then had to get out due to depression and PTSD, was denied access. Who REALLY deserves to be in there? //

Ya that sucks. And also keep in mind that these folks get the best medical plans offered in the US, and get to keep those once they leave the job. And then they go and vote away basic plans that would make a huge difference in a lot of American lives. I know it sounds like we are sharpening the pitch forks, but wouldn't it be nice if our elected officials had the same coverage(or not), the same pensions, and the same type of rules that we all live by, like having to work more than a few years to get fully vested. I mean I know teachers and airline folks that work 40+ years just to get 50% of what was a basic wage. I'm all for stair stepping different jobs because of factors like longevity and danger, but how dangerous is it to be a politician? More so lately, but now they are going to get their own body guards too, paid for you know who..

And who gets to vote whether they personally get a raise or not, that is some utter bullshit..
Quote Reply