Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Lieto, Starky weigh in on Talansky
Quote | Reply
Some hot takes on Andrew Talansky's transition from WorldTour cycling to Ironman

http://www.velonews.com/2017/10/analysis/will-talansky-thrive-at-ironman-the-pros-weigh-in_450145

"The top guys at Ironman have been training at loads that far exceed what he’s been doing. Just racing cycling may have handicapped him because your body can only cycle so much. If you’re doing biking, swimming, and running, you can do far more combined work with all three. He will have a big engine relative to age groupers. But compared to professionals? I don’t think so."
- Andrew Starykowicz

"He’s 28 so he’s actually really young in Ironman years."
- Chris Lieto
Quote Reply
Re: Lieto, Starky weigh in on Talansky [SlowFred] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can we get a Starky to English translation on this one???
Quote Reply
Re: Lieto, Starky weigh in on Talansky [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Starky is under the impression that professional triathletes train more hours overall than professional world tour cyclists.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good stuff, these are always interesting.
Last edited by: brando: Oct 12, 17 14:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think what Starky is saying is "yeah, he could get out there and ride with or outride all of us now but once he ramps his swim and run training his bike will deteriorate and he'll still be suffering in those two disciplines."

I say: we'll see.
Quote Reply
Re: Lieto, Starky weigh in on Talansky [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah I think that is what he was trying to say...you said it a bit more coherently though.
Quote Reply
Re: Lieto, Starky weigh in on Talansky [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it’s pretty cool he’s coming at a younger age, then “retired turn tri career” when you come in at 33-34.

Only issue I see is he has a “run” background but I think saw he only ran 17:30 in HS and got stress injuries. 17:30 is meh for a HS runner, and if you got stress reaction injuries it means you were running somewhat large volume. It wasn’t just a “show up” and run 17:30, so he’s got a lot of ahead of him.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Steve Larsen came from less cycling pedigree than Talansky and far less swim/run background. He got the LP course record and faded to 9th in Hawaii. Not bad year one. And he crushed Stadler on the bike in Hawaii that year. I recall Stadler in the TV coverage said, "Larsen is a rocket.." in T2.

Personally I see Talansky doing far better than that. Understand, he won the Dauphine. That is a big ass win. 5th in Vuelta.

I get what Starky is saying but even at shitty hack AG level switching from months of run only over to biking I lost no bike power when I came back. Running helps cycling. one mans opinion.

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Re: Lieto, Starky weigh in on Talansky [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree, but his subsequent career surely built his engine...

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: Lieto, Starky weigh in on Talansky [rhys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just so you know the original article had a typo and said "Steve Bauer" instead of Steve Larson

I thought that was pretty funny.

Cheers,
Quote Reply
Re: Lieto, Starky weigh in on Talansky [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cyclists rarely turn out to be great triathlon runners. Winning Hawaii against the current crop requires a great run. I am sure he will do quite well, but it will take him 3-5 years to develop his run leg. The fact that he is a good swimmer will help his transition quite a bit.
Quote Reply
Re: Lieto, Starky weigh in on Talansky [rhys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I get what Starky is saying but even at shitty hack AG level switching from months of run only over to biking I lost no bike power when I came back. Running helps cycling. one mans opinion. //

I don't think you understand what is going on here. You are one thing, but a guy that has hit his absolute fastest and fittest in a sport at a world class level, has no where to go but down. Now things like having to spend as much time as you did in one sport doing two different ones, while still tying to hold onto what you had, well that is just going to drop all your old power and times. You on the other hand got no where close to your potential and may even get faster just doing jump rope for 3 hours a day. (-;

It is like Lucy Charles now just swimming 30k a week, she is not going to go 2 hours for a 10k anymore because she has to spend a lot of hours biking and running and not swimming. But she is likely to win the swim on Saturday, probably breaking the new course record set last year. Of course both these people are still going to be very fast in their respective sports, just not like they were. Guys like Starky and Leito know this dynamic and it is just a warning to all of us not to be looking for any 4;10 Kona split from him in the future..

Last edited by: monty: Oct 12, 17 16:43
Quote Reply
Re: Lieto, Starky weigh in on Talansky [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe one cannot take Starky literally, but what he said is that Talansky will not be able to handle the same overall volume as top pro triathletes - not just that his bike volume and performance will suffer. He seems to inddicate that throwing running into the mix has allowed long time triathletes to get in even more volume than pro tour cyclists when cycling is actually much less punishing and most could put in a lot more volume cycling than running.

I find that to be a startling comment, but he likes to throw bombs and get people talking.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Lieto, Starky weigh in on Talansky [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So just snother day at the ST editorial room then?!?

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Re: Lieto, Starky weigh in on Talansky [Thebigturtle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Winning Kona??? Starky seems to suggest he won’t even be able to compete at the pro level.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No offense to Starky, I'm a fan of his, but that's pretty rich coming from a guy who regularly blew up on the run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that read was a waste of the digital space it took up

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Lieto, Starky weigh in on Talansky [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
that read was a waste of the digital space it took up

That's OK, Micron (NASDAQ: MU) is thanking everyone who wastes digital space.....their stock up 100% or so this year thanks to surging memory business and their position in that market globally.....keep wasting digital space guys!!! The more the better!
Quote Reply
Re: Lieto, Starky weigh in on Talansky [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
Maybe one cannot take Starky literally, but what he said is that Talansky will not be able to handle the same overall volume as top pro triathletes - not just that his bike volume and performance will suffer. He seems to inddicate that throwing running into the mix has allowed long time triathletes to get in even more volume than pro tour cyclists when cycling is actually much less punishing and most could put in a lot more volume cycling than running.

I find that to be a startling comment, but he likes to throw bombs and get people talking.

yeah, that was my reading of it.
while i agree with your comment, i also see starky's point. having come to tri from being a pure cyclist, i can do more total volume as i can swim or run when my cycling legs are trashed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A grand tour is like doing a 70.3 everyday for 3 weeks straight and when it is hard, it is really hard. There is so much more Vo2 max/ neuromuscular toll everyday, so I think he has the engine to be good and the volume criticism is a load of crap.

Now whether he has the natural running ability is another matter. Running marathon distances from nothing may take some serious time and I don't know what type of sponsor is going to want to make that bet. He isn't going to get good working a full time job.
Quote Reply
Re: Lieto, Starky weigh in on Talansky [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:

Now whether he has the natural running ability is another matter. Running marathon distances from nothing may take some serious time and I don't know what type of sponsor is going to want to make that bet. He isn't going to get good working a full time job.

I believe Canyon is already on board as a sponsor of his. And personally I think that makes sense. If what is being said is true that he can swim he can certainly drop a bomb on the bike and win it into T2 and probably set new course records on the bike....something a bike sponsor could make an advertising campaign with.
Quote Reply
Re: Lieto, Starky weigh in on Talansky [pyrahna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was wondering if the Canyon thing was Canyon bringing on a high profile US athlete at the same time they're trying to startup selling bikes to folks in the US.
Quote Reply
Re: Lieto, Starky weigh in on Talansky [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Surely he has tested the waters in some manner before going public like this. I bet he has been working on his run and swim privately in order to get the confidence that its possible.

Use this link to save $5 off your USAT membership renewal:
https://membership.usatriathlon.org/...A2-BAD7-6137B629D9B7
Quote Reply
Re: Lieto, Starky weigh in on Talansky [AlyraD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed. We also don't know how much he has or hasn't been running while being a pro cyclist as well. It's possible he's been running a bit the entire time for cross training since he did it as a youth. Who knows.
Quote Reply
Re: Lieto, Starky weigh in on Talansky [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Eh to me the sport is still too shallow and weak to the point he can likely podium at some event and still not be truly world class at Kona level. As I said earlier, if it’s true his run PR is 17:30 and included enough training he got stress reaction injuries that’s weak to be considered a “runner”.

He’s a world class cyclist no doubt, but as I said a week ago, it wouldn’t shock me if you see his results and he suddenly looks mortal on the bike because of the necessary swim/run training.

But the guy is 28 and to make that move now leads me to believe he has something worthwhile. 28 is still good enough to produce good $$ in cycling, and so he has to think/weigh that against a new career move.

I think he can do well in IM and be a Kona “bust” all in the same breath simple because of the dynamics of so many events, etc.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Oct 13, 17 6:53
Quote Reply

Prev Next