Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Tim Don out for kona
Quote | Reply
https://www.instagram.com/p/BaIiQs6FuRf/

Can't believe it, I was so excited to see him race his potential in kona.

Team Zoot 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Tim Don out for kona [aerobean] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Me too, serious bummer. Not sure where it happened but Ali'i is inordinately dangerous on race week.
Quote Reply
Re: Tim Don out for kona [noon3225] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can anyone translate what did he said? I am deaf, so I can't understand what he said on the video. Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Geez, I was just watching him with Babbitt on Breakfast with Bob.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2uVzH5bSXI

Terrible break.

Sharon McN
@IronCharo
#TeamZoot
Clif Bar Pace Team 2003-2018
Quote Reply
Re: Tim Don out for kona [Dan7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hit by a car and fractured his C2 vertebrae.

Out for 5-6 weeks.

Damn. Stay safe out there!
Quote Reply
Re: Tim Don out for kona [Dan7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dan7 wrote:
Can anyone translate what did he said? I am deaf, so I can't understand what he said on the video. Thanks

"Hey guys, I’m in Kona A&E, just getting the finishing touches for my Kona race on Saturday, going for a new aero look. I’ve heard that’s the way to beat Jan, Sebi, and Patrick, the podium guys from last year. No, unfortunately I got hit by a car this morning, and I’ve got a fracture in my C2 vertebrae up high. The good news is I don’t have to have an operation and fly to Honolulu in a helicopter—that would have been pretty cool—no, but that’s the good news. The bad news is I’m out for the best part of five/six weeks in a brace and can’t be back. I wish everyone the best of luck. Good luck guys.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Man that sucks! Really wanted to see how he would bike in Kona after all the talk this year!

Terrible Tuesday’s Triathlon
Quote Reply
Re: Tim Don out for kona [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bummer for Tim. What does he mean, "I can't be back"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thats awful news

terrible fracture, terrible timing - cant even imagine

Best wishes
Quote Reply
Re: Tim Don out for kona [noon3225] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just watched the Breakfast with Bob interview last night before I went to bed and saw the title thought it was a joke!
Very said news but his spirit and outlook are intact and amazing as seems to be status quo for Tim.
And after reading the headline article on ST about the two triathlete brothers with fast-advancing ALS I think we all, including Tim, should count our blessings everyday.
Wishing fast and seamless recovery to Don. I was really looking forward to seeing him kill it this year!
Quote Reply
Re: Tim Don out for kona [newManUK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
newManUK wrote:
Bummer for Tim. What does he mean, "I can't be back"

I think he said "You can count I'll be back".

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damn, not really a fan, but that is just heartbreaking.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Soooooo bummed for him. I was really looking forward to his race.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm glad he's ok and it wasn't more serious. Props to him for coming across pretty positive. He was having such a good season, I would've loved to see how he stacked up. Heal quickly Tim!

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Tim Don out for kona [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's a slight croak in his voice like he wasn't far off crying towards the end.

I can see a thousand women balling their eyes out and i not bothered at all, total heart of stone, but a man who's slightly upset and i am fighting back the tears, Tim's croaky voice nearly set me off.
Quote Reply
Re: Tim Don out for kona [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pun_Times wrote:
I'm glad he's ok and it wasn't more serious. Props to him for coming across pretty positive. He was having such a good season, I would've loved to see how he stacked up. Heal quickly Tim!

It can be a quick or long road back. Don't read much into the the public positive display. That can just be an external face that has nothing to do with what an accident victim is feeling inside. Right now he is likely just in shock more than anything. Best wishes to him. Those who are close to him, be there for him when the spotlight is gone and the world forgets about him. For now we care....but the sports world is filled with replaceable gladiators, and most of us will forget to inquire about him shortly. Then the poor athlete is stuck on a solo recovery path. Hope to see an article next spring about him ripping it up. Real bummer with something like this. Hopefully nothing long term.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How many pros have to get hurt during Kona week before some additional controls are put in place to protect them? Seems like every year now a pro goes down at the hands of a driver in Kona.
Quote Reply
Re: Tim Don out for kona [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Let's not immediately pin it on a driver. Not saying Tim was at fault, but lots of riders seem to think they own the road, and they could often do a lot more to mitigate issues with cars.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very unfortunate. I hope he has a speedy and complete recovery. Please post details of the collision when available. I think we can always learn from such details. Safe travels to all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stick to the indoor trainer like Lionel.
Quote Reply
Re: Tim Don out for kona [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The details I have was that he was struck by a truck in a construction area and the driver never saw him.

Big Sexy Racing 2018
Quote Reply
Re: Tim Don out for kona [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We are in Kona. We have driven out past the airport the last 3 days to start rides to get past the construction. Traffic is brutal on the north side. It is pretty much gridlock in both directions from north of the airport into Kona, no matter what time of day we have gone. I've been here 4 times during race week and never seen anything like it. There are cones and orange pylons all over the place in the construction area, it is very confusing for both drivers and cyclists. The gridlock makes drivers impatient. And we have seen a lot of cyclists not paying attention or following road rules. Ali'i drive also seems busier than usual...actually the whole town seems busier than usual.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 I remain amazed at how dangerous road cycling is. It seems to me to be the only sport, other than motorsport racing, where its stars are routinely injured by external forces. Imagine if Michael Phelps was at risk of being eaten by a shark or hit by a boat every time he went to the pool to train – it would be ridiculous.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
johnnybefit wrote:
How many pros have to get hurt during Kona week before some additional controls are put in place to protect them? Seems like every year now a pro goes down at the hands of a driver in Kona.

I've witnessed several pro's do incredibly stupid things on the bike (especially in town) while in Kona. Not this year as I'm not there, but in 2013 and 2014 when I was there.
Quote Reply
Re: Tim Don out for kona [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
natethomas wrote:
Let's not immediately pin it on a driver. Not saying Tim was at fault, but lots of riders seem to think they own the road, and they could often do a lot more to mitigate issues with cars.

I have been hit recently (I was fine, shaken up and damage to my bike, but fine). The officer said that the vast majority of times, it is the car at fault not the cyclist. I hate to say it, but I have seen a lot more self-entitled folks who are not afraid to bully others in 2017 than in other years. I can't help but think about political events that have occurred since last year that would make those who think they own the road more emboldened.

2018 Races: IM Santa Rosa, Vineman Monte Rio, Lake Tahoe 70.3
Quote Reply

Prev Next