Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Carbon wheel brake pads
Quote | Reply
I normally ride a set of full carbon wheels that have a powertap hub. I plan on doing more indoor training over the winter, but still ride outside on weekends. So I setup an older aluminum rimmed Zipp 404 that has a PT with a trainer tire, thinking I could just make the quick swap to use the trainer. My question is about the brake pads. I didn't use the brake while on the trainer, and the Zipp is narrower than my normal wheel so it's no where near rubbing or anything. But my kids did go over and squeeze the brake lever while the wheel was stationary. My understanding of the brake pads is that they can pickup bits of aluminum flakes and then when squeezed onto carbon brake track the aluminum can damage the wheel. In general, think I'm OK to go ahead and throw the carbon wheel on to ride outside Saturday? Maybe just take a towel or something and wipe them off just to be sure?

Does anyone have a similar setup? Do you do anything to keep from grabbing the brake by habit? Or am I being paranoid? Just would hate to ruin an expensive wheel because I didn't want to replace a set of $30 pads.
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon wheel brake pads [Z28Diddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
if the aluminium brake track is clean you should be fine. Just clean the training wheel brake track before you put it on. The debris in the pads is usually from riding on the road. I would check those more after you ride outside than inside.

2019 T-Rex Tri Series
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Or just put some duct tape over the pads and remove it when goin outside

-shoki
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A) Open the brake quick release ?

B) Tell the kids Father Christmas is watching ...

WD :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon wheel brake pads [WD Pro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
haha - Speed Concept, so no quick release to open the brakes. As much as I yell at the kids not to touch the bike, it's like a giant magnet in the living room as soon as it goes up!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Z28Diddy wrote:
I normally ride a set of full carbon wheels that have a powertap hub. I plan on doing more indoor training over the winter, but still ride outside on weekends. So I setup an older aluminum rimmed Zipp 404 that has a PT with a trainer tire, thinking I could just make the quick swap to use the trainer. My question is about the brake pads. I didn't use the brake while on the trainer, and the Zipp is narrower than my normal wheel so it's no where near rubbing or anything. But my kids did go over and squeeze the brake lever while the wheel was stationary. My understanding of the brake pads is that they can pickup bits of aluminum flakes and then when squeezed onto carbon brake track the aluminum can damage the wheel. In general, think I'm OK to go ahead and throw the carbon wheel on to ride outside Saturday? Maybe just take a towel or something and wipe them off just to be sure?

Does anyone have a similar setup? Do you do anything to keep from grabbing the brake by habit? Or am I being paranoid? Just would hate to ruin an expensive wheel because I didn't want to replace a set of $30 pads.

I wouldn't worry about it in the least if the wheel wasn't spinning when the brake was squeezed...

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon wheel brake pads [mknight84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
don't be cheap and replace the pads with carbon specific break pads. "cleaning" the pads might not be the smartest idea and since you have invested good money on your wheels, you better protect that investment. Having said that, I do clean the swissstop pads on by bike after every ride.
Quote Reply