Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Eminem's "lethal Trump cypher" on BET
Quote | Reply
Apparently Eminem rapped about Trump at a BET show. I've seen several articles calling it "lethal" and other superlatives. Since when did ranting about someone in a performance become lethal or a takedown?

"Eminem took it to another level in his latest blistering 4.5-minute freestyle takedown."

Also, isn't rap the art form that glorifies violence and shabby treatment of women? Seems kind of ironic that their music contributes in some way to the problems that cause young black men to get arrested, but Trump is the problem.

https://www.yahoo.com/...rfect-130720459.html

Quote Reply
Re: Eminem's "lethal Trump cypher" on BET [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here is one review

Eminem unleashed pure vitriolic venom towards President Donald Drump during a four-minute freestyle at the BET Hip-Hop Awards.

“Racist 94-year-old grandpa,” “The Thing,” “We Hate Trump,” were just some of the niceties that Eminem let loose during last night’s broadcast of the 2017 BET Hip-Hop Awards. In a segment for “The Cypher,” Em did more damage to President Donald Drumpf’s ego in four minutes than any TV news analyst could do in an hour.

It was a highly anticipated moment from the D12 MC better known as Marshall Mathers, as everyone sat on the edge of their seat wondering just how deep would he get. Trust us, if you haven’t seen it, watch it now because it is totally worth it. Called “The Storm,” every barb was a lightning shock to the face and each menacing “eff you” was felt like a rumbling thunder boom.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Irrespective of whether he is right or wrong, dylan won a nobel for song lyrics. Eminem speaks to a generation in the same way dylan did / does

I watched it. I thought it was very clever, that he is articulate and speaks of many peoples issues with trump

Rap glorifies violence against women in the same way that english literature - dickens - glorified robbery, that it glorified the subjugation of entire countries - kipling etc

Saying one thing glorifies another as a generalisation is idiotic. Some of it does and some of it doesnt
Last edited by: Andrewmc: Oct 11, 17 11:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Also, isn't rap the art form that glorifies violence and shabby treatment of women?

Quote:
Also, isn't writing the art form that glorifies violence and shabby treatment of women?

Quote:
Also, isn't movies the art form that glorifies violence and shabby treatment of women?

Quote:
Also, isn't photography the art form that glorifies violence and shabby treatment of women?

Do you see a problem with the generality you made?

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:

Also, isn't rap the art form that glorifies violence and shabby treatment of women?

Yes, that's the art form that does that.

Quote Reply
Re: Eminem's "lethal Trump cypher" on BET [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:
Quote:

Quote:
Also, isn't writing the art form that glorifies violence and shabby treatment of women?

Quote:
Also, isn't movies the art form that glorifies violence and shabby treatment of women?

Quote:
Also, isn't photography the art form that glorifies violence and shabby treatment of women?

Do you see a problem with the generality you made?

So, you're saying that rap songs don't promote violence any more so than photography or other music? Really?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
So, you're saying that rap songs don't promote violence any more so than photography or other music? Really?

More than photography? Not even close. More than other music? Maybe. Regardless how much rap do you think doesnt promote violence? Do you know there are thousands of christian rappers? Muslim rappers? Childrens rappers, Etc. Rap is as ecompassing as saying "painting" there are numerous styles and subjects covered.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You read several articles about this topic? Really? Your post strikes me as someone who is being willfully ignorant of a large segment of the US and world population.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's ludicrous. It's not exactly a secret that rap, as a genre, has a problem with objectifying and degrading women. And if people want to play obtuse, Eminem specifically has a well-known, undeniable history of problematic lyrics about women.

It's a crazy world when some degenerate rapper with a history of misogynistic, homophobic lyrics can (credibly) hold himself out their as morally outraged by the president of the United States. And sad but not surprising that people will hypocritically defend him because they share his hatred of Trump.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Eminem's "lethal Trump cypher" on BET [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:
It's ludicrous. It's not exactly a secret that rap, as a genre, has a problem with objectifying and degrading women. And if people want to play obtuse, Eminem specifically has a well-known, undeniable history of problematic lyrics about women.

It's a crazy world when some degenerate rapper with a history of misogynistic, homophobic lyrics can (credibly) hold himself out their as morally outraged by the president of the United States. And sad but not surprising that people will hypocritically defend him because they share his hatred of Trump.

What's even sadder is that the misogynistic homophobic celebrity still holds the moral high ground in an ethics contest with the president. (and probably in an IQ contest too)

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:

How have eminems views evolved through the years? It sounds like you know, and you would if you listened to his music or read interviews.

Also, do you know his stance on homophobia?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am not sure what is harder listening to one of Trumps speeches or sitting through that video.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do listen to some of his music. He is talented, and I like some of his music. I don't make a special attempt to keep tabs on how his world view is evolving, no.

Would you be defending some social conservative who wrote and performed the same lyrics?

No, you wouldn't. You're a hypocrite.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Eminem's "lethal Trump cypher" on BET [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
What's even sadder is that the misogynistic homophobic celebrity still holds the moral high ground in an ethics contest with the president. (and probably in an IQ contest too)

Definitely has the better vocabulary by a wide margin.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:
I do listen to some of his music. He is talented, and I like some of his music. I don't make a special attempt to keep tabs on how his world view is evolving, no.

Would you be defending some social conservative who wrote and performed the same lyrics?

No, you wouldn't. You're a hypocrite.

You think i have a problem defending someone on an issue they are right about, if i generally disagree with them? Really?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:
Apparently Eminem rapped about Trump at a BET show. I've seen several articles calling it "lethal" and other superlatives. Since when did ranting about someone in a performance become lethal or a takedown

That boy is simply bringing awareness through his art. He's down with the struggle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you are an obvious hypocrite. Really.

This isn't even the only current thread in which you're displaying your hypocrisy.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tend to agree with the overall point you are trying to make, but my head isn't in the sand when considering one man's misogynistic, homophobic speech is another man's locker room talk. You didn't need to put Eminem and Trump on the scales for this argument. I think that says more about your biases than others.
Quote Reply
Re: Eminem's "lethal Trump cypher" on BET [getcereal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
getcereal wrote:
I am not sure what is harder listening to one of Trumps speeches or sitting through that video.

Yeah, I like some of Eminem's stuff but that video was like some weird disjointed poetry slam or something.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:
I think you are an obvious hypocrite. Really.

This isn't even the only current thread in which you're displaying your hypocrisy.

By all means put my hypoctisy on display, because youll have a hard time finding some.

What exactly are you claiming im being a hypocrite about here?

Last edited by: veganerd: Oct 11, 17 12:22
Quote Reply
Re: Eminem's "lethal Trump cypher" on BET [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
my head isn't in the sand when considering one man's misogynistic, homophobic speech is another man's locker room talk.

Nor is mine. I even said the rapper's claim to the moral high ground is credible.

I think that says more about your biases than others.

What do you think it says about my biases?

Quote Reply
Re: Eminem's "lethal Trump cypher" on BET [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WelshinPhilly wrote:
getcereal wrote:

Yeah, I like some of Eminem's stuff but that video was like some weird disjointed poetry slam or something.

If it were completely free style it would be good, but I don't think that was the first time he said it.

And I never get the talk about 'so and so destroys the bad guy'. Sure, if you already agree with them you like it, but how often do any of these takedowns, etc actually have an impact or are remembered for more than 2 days.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:

He basically says that his (persistent) use of homophobic slurs is simply the misunderstood manifestation of the persona he portrays on his albums. The real 'slim shady' completely supports gay marriage and, "don't have a problem with nobody". It is amazing that people continue to be critical of this national treasure.
Quote Reply
Re: Eminem's "lethal Trump cypher" on BET [gotsand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gotsand wrote:
veganerd wrote:

He basically says that his (persistent) use of homophobic slurs is simply the misunderstood manifestation of the persona he portrays on his albums. The real 'slim shady' completely supports gay marriage and, "don't have a problem with nobody". It is amazing that people continue to be critical of this national treasure.

Essentially, the Hulk Hogan defense.
Quote Reply

Prev Next