Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Medical Question: Endocarditis/Lupus
Quote | Reply
A friend of mine, an otherwise healthy and athletic male in his late 20s, has recently fallen very ill. Hospitals in the Orlando area have been all over the map with their diagnoses. He presented to the ER in July and was diagnosed with esophagitis. He presented to the ER with the same symptoms two weeks ago and was diagnosed with pericarditis and then endocarditis and sent home with pain killers and antibiotics. He went into the ER again last night and now a diagnosis of lupus is being pursued. My concern is that if he does have a bacterial infection somewhere in the vicinity of his heart, administering immunosuppressants could be counter productive.

What would you do if this was your friend? I've been trying to convince him to go to a diagnostic hospital like Mayo. He has very good insurance and I think he's only been going to a local hospital (Health Central) out of convenience.

Any input would be appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: Medical Question: Endocarditis/Lupus [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think he would be well served at a university teaching hospital or mayo clinic (which might be both). It would be very unusual for an otherwise healthy male to get endocarditis without IV drug abuse or pre-existing immunosupression. I would hope he would have had a very good echocardiogram preferrably trans esophageal already. If it clearly shows valvular damage or vegetations then I would think it wouldn't be lupus more likely endocarditis. In which case he should be on IV antibiotics. Who is coordinating things? He shouldn't just be bouncing from one ER to another. Just a gp.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Medical Question: Endocarditis/Lupus [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He's been to two different hospitals in the last three months, the same hospital the last two visits (where the symptoms were more severe). He has had an echocardiogram but I don't know what was seen. I'm kind of operating on limited information.

I'm operating on limited information at this point unfortunately. I'm of the same opinion: he needs to go to somewhere like Mayo Clinic. Unfortunately his father and girlfriend are the sort to totally trust any physician regardless of their qualifications. "Positive energy" and "good spirits" and all of that crap. I get that they're scared but IMO nobody is properly advocating for my friend.

Mayo (Jacksonville) is only a three hour drive from here. I'm hoping I can somehow convince my friend's dad to convince his son to go there.
Quote Reply
Re: Medical Question: Endocarditis/Lupus [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Totally second opinion at best available facility.

Also- run side effects on any meds he is on. Totally off topic but a friend of mine got Lupus and it was a side effect of a drug he was on for acne. Was very sick for a year then he found an article about it- went off drug with dr. approval and all of his symptoms went away in a few weeks.

https://www.uspharmacist.com/...g-drug-induced-lupus

ETA it was really bad and at one point a Dr told my friend he thought he had flesh eating bacteria and might have to amputate his leg. All just a side effect of a drug.
Last edited by: Moonrocket: Oct 10, 17 21:34
Quote Reply