Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? Oct. 9 Edition
Quote | Reply
How are you and how was your week?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Oct. 9 Edition [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry for my absence. Lots going on and big changes on the horizon. First, I crashed my bike. Some bits broke, and I got some ouchies. Hubby expressed it best "it's like a mini-car crash--but without the seat belt--or the airbags." Nonetheless, I'm continuing my pursuit of a ten speed, mechanical with rim brakes (and preferably carbon) 650 road bike.

The other news is that I'm retiring from work. It's exciting and scary at the same time. My stomach keeps doing flip flops. It doesn't help that my mother calls me up and starts expressing every doubt I've ever had about the decision. My dear, supportive mom....

As to tri, haven't done any training in nearly two months. Started up with some walking this weekend and a very light cycle on the trainer.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Goals for this week: alternate workout runs with easy runs (did a workout run this AM to the best of my ability on tired-from-cycling legs), swim 5x; ride 3x (one long or intervals).
I am getting better at keeping fast runs fast and easy runs easy (though to be fair sometimes it's easier for me not to run than to run easily - so I swam long on Thursday ;-). I swam 5k and rode once.

M: 8.6 mi run (fartlek 2 mi @ 8:20, 2.25 mi @ 8:13, 1 mi @ 8:06, 1.1 mi @ 8:00) + 2075 yd swim
T: 7.8 mi run (5 mi progressive 8:13, 8:06, 8:00, 7:53, 7:47 + 1 mi 7:41) + 2175 yd swim
W: 9 mi run (easy 1:18:59) + 775 yd swim
T: 5325 yd swim
F: 8 mi run (5k @ 8:00, 2 mi @ 7:53, .9 mi @ 7:47)
S: 9.5 mi run (1:17:30, pretty even splits)
S: 43.5 mi bike

still room for improvement on the run structure, but I am pleased with myself for not running on Thursday, and for having bike miles > run miles.

Goals this week
bike miles > run miles
ride 2x
swim 5x
continue to speed up on fast runs and slow down on easy runs
at least one day off from running

This is homecoming week. Supposedly Oklahoma State has the largest homecoming in the country, and I am very curious about all the madness!

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good to hear from you again Tri3. Hope you continue your recovery well! Yikes! And good luck with retirement. Just go for it. Only you can decide if it is a good idea or not!

My week took an unexpected twist. I haven't moved, let alone workout, since Wednesday last week. My mum in UT is counting down the days until her lights go out and I've been hanging with her. I had a chance to take a week off work and high tailed it to her place (a lovely 13 hour drive) and am still out here. I brought fitness gear, but with husband in tow and no clue when she'll be awake or asleep, I've sat on a couch since I got here. I'm going to try to get a run or something in today or tomorrow. I feel sooooo sluggish! Fortunately, mum is still comfortable and with a clear mind. It is good to spend time with her.

So, last week...

Swim x1 OWS
Bike x1
Run x1

Kinda tripping out about no training with a 70.3 in 19 days (with a time cut off that I'll be flirting with). Not to mention 11 days of travel between now and then (plus getting home from UT). Oh well! I have a step-down option to an OLY if the next 19 days aren't feeling 70.3ish.

Rock on, women!

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Oct. 9 Edition [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri3, I'm sorry about the crash. Congrats on the retirement, and it's good to have you back!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for getting us started DrTC! I hope you enjoy homecoming week!
Tri3 - sorry to hear you crashed. I hope your recovery is going well and wish you well in retirement!
SLO - sorry to hear about your mom but I am glad that you are able to spend time with her.

My goals were bike x 3 (YES), run x 2 (NO, but I played ball hockey for the first time). Both Dan and I seem to be very busy for these couple of weeks so things are falling through the cracks. Evening classes are also kicking my butt (I'm normally in bed by 10 so being in class until 10 is tough) and fire prevention week activities are taking up more time that I really didn't feel like I had spare. I had one day of teaching last week and I have two days coming up this week - about 270 kids in total! I also recorded a radio segment for the local radio station and that airs on Tuesday.

Goals for this week: bike x 3, be as enthusiastic during my last class of the day as I am during the first, be well prepared for the test at the weekend, eat sensibly and get enough sleep.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for getting us started, Dr. Tigerchik. Good work keeping your fast fast and your easy easy -- that can be difficult to master. I hope you enjoy homecoming!

Welcome back Tri3, congratulations on your retirement and I wish you a full and fast recovery.

Good luck in the test, Scheherazade.

SLO, I'm sorry to hear about your mom but I hope you're able to enjoy time with her. I'll be thinking of you and yours. Your fitness is strong and your mental game is stronger -- you'll do well at whatever distance you chose!

My goals were: 3 bikes, 3 swims, 3 runs, 2 strength sessions, and 1 or 2 yoga classes ... in SLO's neck of the woods

I only ran twice but otherwise hit my goals -- I also went kayaking with my boy and my dog and that really lovely. I took SLO's advice on where to run/ride/swim over the weekend and my ride was a beautiful quad buster on Old Creek and my swim was with SLO's open water swim group in Avila -- the swim group was a great group of people who were welcoming and think highly of SLO and her swimming prowess (Here's a link to their blog with a shot of me waving to SLO)

This coming weekend, I'm doing a multi-day backpacking trip to Havasupai. I've been excitedly looking forward to this trip for months (years?) and it should be a great trip. Before we leave, I'm hoping to get in 2 runs, 2 bikes, 2 swims, and 2 strength sessions along with my daily p/rehab and 1 yoga class. I'd like to run while I'm in the canyons but it will depend on how my group is feeling.

I hope everyone has a great week.

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
9.5 hrs for the week. Highest weekly volume since July 2-8, 2012 <=== Yes, that would be 5 years ago.

Mon. 1,900 SCY swim (1hr); 30 min trainer

Tue. Evan workout (1:10) [trainer I've been working out with since late August - a lot of functional strength work and flexibility]

Wed. 1,700 SCY Swim (1hr); 30 min trainer

Thurs. Evan workout (1:10); Freestyle class #1 - 200 SCY kicking and breathing drills [taking a 7 session class from the head Masters coach - both to refresh form but also to get as much coaching knowledge from her as possible. She's awesome (and has an Olympic gold medal)]

Fri. 40 min trainer

Sat. 30 min trainer

Sun. Iyengar Yoga (1:20); Freestyle class #2 - 900 SCY kicking, breathing and catch-up drills

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
The other news is that I'm retiring from work. It's exciting and scary at the same time.

Whoa!!! Congratulations!!! I have 7.5 more years. If I had my house paid for, I'd move that up. But how exciting!

clm
Nashville, TN
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Anna s [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: Anna s: Oct 10, 17 4:41
Re: How was your week? Oct. 9 Edition [Anna s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
TC - nice swim on Thursday :-) and for my very ignorant English self, please explain what a homecoming is!

Homecoming is a weekend that universities host for alumni to come back to campus. There is a home football game, and depending on the university, many other activities. Oklahoma State (my current institution) has a whole week of stuff. Lots of school spirit type things.

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Oct. 9 Edition [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
She's awesome (and has an Olympic gold medal)]

That's super cool! Congrats on your big week.

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Oct. 9 Edition [SoCalTricurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SoCalTricurious wrote:

I only ran twice but otherwise hit my goals -- I also went kayaking with my boy and my dog and that really lovely. I took SLO's advice on where to run/ride/swim over the weekend and my ride was a beautiful quad buster on Old Creek and my swim was with SLO's open water swim group in Avila -- the swim group was a great group of people who were welcoming and think highly of SLO and her swimming prowess (Here's a link to their blog with a shot of me waving to SLO)

This coming weekend, I'm doing a multi-day backpacking trip to Havasupai. I've been excitedly looking forward to this trip for months (years?) and it should be a great trip. Before we leave, I'm hoping to get in 2 runs, 2 bikes, 2 swims, and 2 strength sessions along with my daily p/rehab and 1 yoga class. I'd like to run while I'm in the canyons but it will depend on how my group is feeling.

I hope everyone has a great week.

Wow! Very cool. Glad you conquered Old Creek. It's a beautiful and punishing ride. Woot!

I saw that you hooked up with the Avila OWS group. And no sharks!

Thank you, everybody, for the kind words re mum. Hoping to get a few miles logged today!

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Oct. 9 Edition [Anna s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, it is regular field hockey but here "hockey" = ice hockey so they call it ball hockey. Ice hockey would have been a disaster since I can't skate!

Hope the swimming is less painful this week.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Oct. 9 Edition [SLOgoing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SLO, it's good that you get to be there for your mom during this transition. I hope it is peaceful for both of you.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
If I had my house paid for, I'd move that up. But how exciting!

When we made the last job/house change 17 years ago, we also made a commitment to get debt free--no mortgage, car payments or credit card debt. It's meant a modest lifestyle. The payoff is early retirement. I highly recommend it!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As it turns out the bike crash had worse consequences than I anticipated. Today hand ortho told me sooner or later I'll need surgery due to a full thickness ligament tear in my hand. As best I understand it, from his perspective it's a matter of which surgery at what stage of arthritis (due to the lack of thumb joint stability). When I walk/jog I can feel bones moving around, so I knew it wasn't good. I just didn't expect it to be this bad. Well, s#*t....

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh no. Sorry to hear this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri3 wrote:
Quote:
If I had my house paid for, I'd move that up. But how exciting!

When we made the last job/house change 17 years ago, we also made a commitment to get debt free--no mortgage, car payments or credit card debt. It's meant a modest lifestyle. The payoff is early retirement. I highly recommend it!

Ah well, I just bought my first house 3 years ago at the age of 55, so I'm a bit behind the curve. At least it's doubled in price in those 3 years!

Bummer news about the hand.

clm
Nashville, TN
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, that is some kind of appreciation in value!

This is our third. First one, sold during recession of 90s, was a net loss. Rolled additional value from second house and savings into our current (and third) house so we would be debt free.

Yeah, the hand thing sucks. It's going to take a while to sort out what I'm going to do about it.

Quote Reply