Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Leafs are 3 and 0!
Quote | Reply
Is it too early to start planning the parade route?
Quote Reply
Re: Leafs are 3 and 0! [TriDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The parade of shame after failing to make the playoffs?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just remember to stay classy when it falls apart.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

In theory they could finish the year 3 - 79 so yes, a little early.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Past experience would suggest that sir.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriDave wrote:

Nope.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From Sportsnet/VICE Sports hockey columnist (and lifelong Leafs fan) Sean McIndoe's column this past Friday regarding what your pre-season Cup pick says about you:

Toronto Maple Leafs – You were the sort of kid who started asking what dessert was before you'd even eaten three bites of your actual meal.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Re: Leafs are 3 and 0! [Brian in MA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Toronto Maple Leafs – You were the sort of kid who started asking what dessert was before you'd even eaten three bites of your actual meal.

I grew up in Southern Ontario and started watching hockey as a young child. I was a Bruins fan because my Dad was a big fan. The mid 70's were a painful part of my life, thanks a lot Lafleur...

Since that time, I can't count how many Stanley Cup parades have been planned in October but for some reason, those plans disappear the following spring. It's like deja vu all over again (I know, I know, this year will be different).

Quote Reply
Re: Leafs are 3 and 0! [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed it is way too early, but it is a least nice to see some hope with young players who are playing really well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
" I can't count how many Stanley Cup parades have been planned in October but for some reason, those plans disappear the following spring. "

Its been fifty years. You'd think Toronto would have given up by now. Kinda like their "world class city" wannabe slogan.
Quote Reply
Re: Leafs are 3 and 0! [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This guy is going t be safe for a very long time.

Quote Reply
Re: Leafs are 3 and 0! [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
This guy is going t be safe for a very long time.

They will be married within 3 years! GO LEAFS!! :))
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriDave wrote:

Classic trap game yesterday. I predicted a loss. Yay me!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess this means that St. Louis and New Jersey, the undefeated teams, should now be planning a parade route?

Go Blues !!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
I guess this means that St. Louis and New Jersey, the undefeated teams, should now be planning a parade route?

Go Blues !!!

New Jersey's record today is the same as the Leafs' was yesterday.

But of course, plan away.

Now it's the Habs Saturday. As much as the Habs suck this year it will be a tough game against their biggest rivals.

A false humanity is used to impose its opposite, by people whose cruelty is equalled only by their arrogance
Last edited by: Chri55: Oct 12, 17 5:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
TriDave wrote:

Classic trap game yesterday. I predicted a loss. Yay me!

Yeah but we had 50 shots, Schneider stood on his head and we had some serious D breakdowns, we gave up a 5 on 3 goal...lol No problem though they are still young and it's only one game, bring on Montreal!! Go Leafs!!
Last edited by: 50+: Oct 12, 17 6:20
Quote Reply
Re: Leafs are 3 and 0! [Chri55] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now it's the Habs Saturday. As much as the Habs suck this year it will be a tough game against their biggest rivals.

Yeah, you can usually throw out the standings when Montreal and Toronto meet. I bet scalpers can make a killing even if it is October.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone happen to follow the new rule on a coaches challenge for offsides on a goal ? The Flyers in a wild game on Tuesday night against the Predators scored 5 straight goals to come back from a 3 nothing deficit. Late in the game >3 mins I think, the Flyers went two men down and the Predators scored on the advantage to tie things up. Flyers coach Hakstol challenged the play was offsides and did not win so the Flyers were given another 2 min minor and the Preds scored to win the game.

I get why the NHL introduced the rule in an attempt to speed the game up by lowering the coaches challenges for offsides. Since before it was just loss of your TO. Giving a team a minor penalty seems like overkill though. Granted what happened to the Flyers was worse because they were originally down 2 men, Preds score, they challenge and loose, down 2 men again. Seems like they need to adjust the rule for this kind of situation at the end of a game. Possible have anything inside the final 2 mins reviewed in Toronto ( if that's where the plays get looked at). Seemed like a bad call by Flyers coach in that spot. But it highlights a screwy rule ?

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: Leafs are 3 and 0! [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's a stupid rule. Basically they didn't feel like clarifying the offsides rule, they just wanted to have less reviews.
What they need to do is decide:

1. how far back in time can we go to catch an offsides before the goal was scored?
  2. What exactly is offsides? If you foot is in the air over the blueline, that is currently offside. I don't know that anyone agrees with that ruling. So that needs to be cleared up.

Maybe someday they will fix this shit. Maybe.

Quote Reply
Re: Leafs are 3 and 0! [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I get why the NHL introduced the rule in an attempt to speed the game up by lowering the coaches challenges for offsides.

I don't get it.

It's the same problem in most sports now, changes made to "speed up" the game or to attract new viewers. They should focus on people who enjoy the sport and not always try to get people who aren't interested to watch.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
I get why the NHL introduced the rule in an attempt to speed the game up by lowering the coaches challenges for offsides.

I don't get it.

It's the same problem in most sports now, changes made to "speed up" the game or to attract new viewers. They should focus on people who enjoy the sport and not always try to get people who aren't interested to watch.

There was < 100 challenges last year and 2/3 rds were upheld. You only lost your TO if you didn't win the challenge and you basically got a TO anyway while they were looking at it. The consensus was there was no reason not to challenge anything close and it can ruin momentum for one team. I don't necessarily agree with the NHLs feelings on this and I definitely don't agree with a 2 min minor for a lost challenge. More so in the last few mins of a game.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:

I don't get it.

What I don't get is the initial rule change for offsides slows the game down - refs are reviewing potential offsides on zone entry thus longer stoppages, and there's nothing worse than a toe being over the line a minute before a goal was scored and having that brought back.

Rather than put a bandaid on the review process, penalizing teams, why not do away with a rule that is impractical to start with. Let human error happen! Offsides will be missed, just like high sticking will be missed just like tripping will be missed just like diving calls will be subjective etc etc. The refereeing in a sport as fast as hockey will always be imperfect, embrace it and give fans a better game flow.
Quote Reply
Re: Leafs are 3 and 0! [Brownie28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What I don't get is the initial rule change for offsides slows the game down

I find this happening in a lot of sports. I enjoy (or used to) watching amateur wrestling but the freestyle matches at the Olympics or World level have become unwatchable and it's for the same reason. The refs have the intent to speed up the match, thinking it would be more enjoyable to fans and that will lead to more fans. The problem is that those who enjoy the sport are fine with it, it's not boring to us. To try and get new fans, they think they have to have more "action" so time for rule changes to help out.

If the match doesn't have enough action they blow the whistle and tell you to be more active. If that doesn't happen, they blow the whistle to put you on a 30-second clock and if you don't score in that time, they blow the whistle again to award the point.the opponent gets a point.

The result is that there is far less action to try and get more action and now the original fans don't want to watch. Of course, those not interested in wrestling aren't watching either so overall, great job.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I personally don't want any replays in hockey except for did the puck cross the line. That's it. Same with soccer. Football only scoring plays, first downs, and change of possession. Baseball fair or foul homerun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
What I don't get is the initial rule change for offsides slows the game down

The result is that there is far less action to try and get more action and now the original fans don't want to watch. Of course, those not interested in wrestling aren't watching either so overall, great job.
Well maybe that's the case for wresting but at least in that arena they're doing something they believe will be more entertaining for a wider audience. In this case, for the NHL, it's a fairness type of rule: this team gained zone entry illegally (offsides) so the resulting goal should be wiped out. And yes, I remember as a kid being ripshit when a team clearly came in offsides and scored a goal...but I would rather deal with those cases (knowing my team will also benefit from time to time) than see the goals called back, especially when half the time (at least) the goal in question happened well after the zone entry, i.e. the goal came from good cycling, board work, passing, etc and NOT because the team crossed into the zone illegally.

I think it's the same in the NFL, this approach of adding more rules on top of an already busy, confusing set of rules and you have more ticky-tack fouls and more stoppages for reviews. Let the players play the game and understand that some calls will be missed and incorrect!
Quote Reply