Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Bottom Bracket Issue [tyme] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks guys. Chatted with trek online and they recommend the bracket above v2...and mount upside down to mono...
Quote Reply
7.0 upgrades [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi yall!

I recently joined the SC owner's group with a first gen 7.0 and am looking at upgrades....

crankset
cockpit

I'm curious, the SC 7.0 comes with GXP bottom bracket (?), what are my options?

What is a good, adjustable and aero option for the bars? I'm leaning towards the aeria but are there some other, cheaper options? (I don't mind used).

I have decent wheels already that I swap from my roadie, what other upgrades are most worthwhile? Any options for the rear brake??
Quote Reply
Re: 7.0 upgrades [tickyboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No choice for upgrading the rear brake. There's also no need, you just need them setup correctly. There is an updated wedge which better suits having different width wheels.

GXP or Shimano BB. What do you want to upgrade. Better shifting? - Shimano. Stiffer - Shimano. lighter? Don't bother. More aero? just get a solid outer ring. Got a power meter? a GXP Quark would do nicely.

Unfortunately Bontrager stopped doing their bars based on the SC9 ones. You're right to be looking for adjustment though. I have lots of fun when bars just won't move to where they need to be.

Have fun.

Developing aero, fit and other fun stuff at Red is Faster
Quote Reply
Re: 7.0 upgrades [SkippyKitten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bars are likely first step since I'll have to rewire cables to get pads a little farther based on current setup, so why not just redo.

Unfortunately good to know about rear brake. Ive had to adjust already to get wider rim back there, so I'll just live with it. Front brake upgrade it is then!
Quote Reply
new bike [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
couple things,
if anyone's interested in a 2016 SC 9.5 i have one for sale

secondly i am getting a new speed concept and am wondering where the Di2 batteries are mounted on the new speed concepts and how hard it would be for me to change the new speed concept from ultegra to ultegra di2. are there any additional parts i would need? any experience, advice, pictures would be appreciated. thanks
Quote Reply
Re: new bike [Bscheel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The internal battery mounts in the seatpost. The 9 series carbon seatpost comes with two mounting holes and a metal bracket for mounting the di2 battery. The 7 series seatpost (aluminum) does not.

https://trek.scene7.com/...t_Service_Manual.pdf

See page 4 of above. You need the 9 series seatpost and Di2 bracket.

Now people have done some work to get a di2 battery to mount in an aluminum seatpost but that will be DIY. Might as well go with Trek's proven solution of the 9 series seatpost.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: new bike [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you!
Quote Reply
Re: new bike [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's super easy to mount battery in aluminum seat post. I got some of the super thin packing foam used to wrap dishes and what not and put a few layers around the battery and wedged it up there.

2k miles later on horrific TX chipseal it's still in place.

I almost pulled trigger on Carbon seat post but glad I went DIY and saved $100 for something else.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like others have said, you can fit the internal battery in the alloy seatpost. I've had mine there for more than a year with no movement.

What tyme said is true as well. The 2018 complete Speed Concept comes with the UCI-legal speed fin (rear brake cover) which has a spot to mount the EXTERNAL Di2 battery (not the lipstick shaped one) inside it. However, the 2018 Speed Concept frameset comes with the non-UCI speed fin, so your only option there without buying other parts is to put it in the alloy seatpost.
Quote Reply
Re: new bike [PMo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll definitely be doing the inner seat post, just found that mount and thats perfect!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Guys

I am looking to pick up a second hand Speed Concept, just wanted to ask how good a guide their online sizing guide is? At 5'11 I seem to sit right in the middle of a Large, but thats the first time I've ridden a bike that big. I've used the competitive cyclist guide but it gives top tube not effective top tube and Trek don't seem to provide that.

Any ideas?

Of course I am aware that I can probably fit on any size with the various stem options.
Quote Reply
Re: new bike [pedaldancer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Medium. I'm 6' and I'm on a medium with room to go bigger and smaller
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is your pad x and pad y (pad reach and pad stack)?

http://www.slowtwitch.com/...C_FitGuide_final.pdf

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
5'10" and I just got a large speed concept. Could have made a medium fit well also, but slowman recommended a large with my fit coordinates.

Ryan
Quote Reply
Re: new bike [ryans] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am the same height as you (5'10'') and went with the Large SC, too. Works great and as long as you don't have super short legs, the saddle height should be fine. The front end is so adjustable that you should find a good spot. I actually have a lot more room to go lower if I want, but keep myself pretty conservative for comfort over the IM distance. I thought it would be lighter, but doesn't really matter...just flies when you get it moving!
Quote Reply
Re: new bike [tri@thlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fitting was easy. I have plenty of room to tweak my fit if I need too.

I have always been on slightly smaller bikes (54”) and the top tube is noticeably higher. Only thing I really noticed though. Once on it and riding it fits me well so that is all that matters.

Ryan
Quote Reply
Re: new bike [ryans] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am also 5'10. My saddle height from center of BB to top of saddle (around mid point of saddle) is about 73cm. I ride a medium, its a gen 1 with the 100/45 stem, and a cm of spacers under the pads. I too have a good amount of room to adjust. I could have made a large work too, the front end might have even looked a little cleaner, but might have looked a bit odd at my saddle height, wouldn't be much seat post showing at 73cm saddle height.
Quote Reply
Re: new bike [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm looking for a replacement low far stem cover. Basically this piece:

https://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/components-c9/stems-c76/speed-concept-top-cap-kit-p14505

But maybe from a site that doesn't have $40 in shipping charges to the US? I've been keeping an eye on Ebay for a while, without much luck.

Also, is there anywhere I can get the little rubber cover that fits behind the stem? Like in this pic:

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/?post=2853340#p2853340

That's not really needed, just thought while I'm cleaning stuff up I would add that.
Quote Reply
Re: new bike [Z28Diddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any authorized Trek dealer should be able to order those parts for you. My Trek dealer here in Canada has no problem getting spare parts from Trek for my Gen1 SC9.
Quote Reply
re: gen1 7.0 BB swap? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi all, I'm looking at swapping the stock apex crank on my gen1 7.0 to an ultegra 6700. Apparently, I need a new bottom bracket? Trek 524555 is the part I was given but are there any other alternatives?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: re: gen1 7.0 BB swap? [tickyboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi!

My wife is considering SC for 2018 (I have been on SC for two years now). She is 171cm (I guess that's 5'7" ish) and on the bike she is riding this year the stack is about 60,5cm (23.8in) and the reach is about 45,5cm (17.9in). In some charts for the SC she is a Medium size, and on some she should could go for a Small. Any thoughts on which size would be the best? In the future I think she could go a bit lower on the stack.

Instagram and Strava: @lpstormo
Quote Reply
Re: re: gen1 7.0 BB swap? [Stormo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stormo wrote:
Hi!

My wife is considering SC for 2018 (I have been on SC for two years now). She is 171cm (I guess that's 5'7" ish) and on the bike she is riding this year the stack is about 60,5cm (23.8in) and the reach is about 45,5cm (17.9in). In some charts for the SC she is a Medium size, and on some she should could go for a Small. Any thoughts on which size would be the best? In the future I think she could go a bit lower on the stack.

I'm 5'10 and use a medium with a pad stack of about 63.5 and reach of about 46 (short arms..). I can go a bit lower on my frame, but if she's at 60 for stack, and possibly going lower, the medium might be a bit big for her. You'd just need to make sure the small has enough reach for her.

****Note - then again, treks current 'general' triathlon chart puts her height right in the middle range for a medium frame.....odd......I'll defer to the experts on this one...
Last edited by: SBRcanuck: Nov 9, 17 4:49
Quote Reply
Re: re: gen1 7.0 BB swap? [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
****Note - then again, treks current 'general' triathlon chart puts her height right in the middle range for a medium frame.....odd......I'll defer to the experts on this one...

Thanks!
That's what I also thought was a bit strange. I was also comparing with Linsey Corban who has changed to Medium this year (from a Small earlier). She is 172,5cm (5.8in) so I guess it could be a good comparison...

Here are two pictures of Linsey: one on the yellow Medium this year, and one on the red Small in 2016.

Instagram and Strava: @lpstormo
Quote Reply
Re: re: gen1 7.0 BB swap? [Stormo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just wish as a consumer we could get the speedbox painted to match the bike like in those 2 photos.
Quote Reply
Re: re: gen1 7.0 BB swap? [tyme] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you can if you get a project one.
Quote Reply

Prev Next