Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Quest for Kona (NBC show)
Quote | Reply
Quest for Kona is to air tonight on NBC Sports.

For those of us non-US citizens, things are actually looking up for a change on the availability front. The show can be viewed (the whole season is actually already posted) online. It works in Canada.

https://www.redbull.tv/...r-kona-grace-stevens

I haven't started to watch yet, but this might make good trainer material. I'm interested to see if the format takes off outside the slowtwitch crowd or if NBC can get outside the (Bad thing happens) -> (Overcome adversity) plotline for inspirational stories.
Last edited by: timbasile: Oct 4, 17 10:40
Quote Reply
Re: Quest for Kona (NBC show) [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What kind of storylines/profiles would you like to see showcased instead?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Watched a couple while indoor training so I appreciate you posting, thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Quest for Kona (NBC show) [lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lacticturkey wrote:
What kind of storylines/profiles would you like to see showcased instead?

I haven't seen any of the Quest for Kona series, but my reference to (Bad thing happens) -> (Overcome adversity) plotline is the bread and butter of the age group part of the Kona broadcast.

Not that that's bad, but its a small sliver of Kona, and an even smaller sliver of our sport. I'd love it if they simply told more stories about our sport. This is a start, obviously.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They are enjoyable to watch. It makes me want to attempt an IM again, can't lie.

It's clearly a great marketing package for WTC. The "everyman" can always have this dream of Kona, no matter how realistic (with some of these it is NOT realistic) or how much adversity they have to plow through to get to the IM.
Quote Reply
Re: Quest for Kona (NBC show) [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Y'know, I kinda disagree with the "everyman" idea

My take away is always that unless you have already had to overcome some insane diversity in your life, and you have to struggle everyday just to get along with some semblance or normalcy, you simply don't have the strength within you to complete an Ironman, so just give up now ... this message brought to you by Ford Trucks

YMMV

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone know if they are making it available to stream online in the U.S.?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
They are enjoyable to watch. It makes me want to attempt an IM again, can't lie.

It's clearly a great marketing package for WTC. The "everyman" can always have this dream of Kona, no matter how realistic (with some of these it is NOT realistic) or how much adversity they have to plow through to get to the IM.

They are interesting and I like seeing the different venues but they are 1 for 4 right now which I wasn't suspecting and none of them have been close. But that is Ironman in a nutshell as they might have good results behind them but that day they just didn't have it...

I wonder what viewership they are getting.
Quote Reply
Re: Quest for Kona (NBC show) [masterslacker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Forgot about this, looks like it would be good to watch while on the trainer.

AJ

-------------------------------------------------------
IM WC Hawaii 2024
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you stream it?
Quote Reply
Re: Quest for Kona (NBC show) [doylew66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It’s on red bull tv (Europe - or was, I haven’t checked in the last week or so).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
so like who are they following? Are these just random AG'ers, or actually have some athletic ability? IE is it just some cancer mom of 4 soccer kids waking up and saying "i'm going to do Kona", or is it the guy going 10:41 in 1st attempt and realizing he has a chance? Like who are the athletes they are showcasing?

eta: I've clicked on links and starting the episodes...looks like it's random people and in first episode said "some do it and some dont make it"....teaser....pretty cool quick 20 min videos.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Nov 1, 17 7:11
Quote Reply
Re: Quest for Kona (NBC show) [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've seen two of the episodes and both of them were a bit of a joke. One was a guy from Brazil I think who ended up like 131st in his age group. The other was a middle aged woman - I forget her placing but she missed qualifying by 2.5 hours. And I looked up both of their prior results and for both of them this was about typical. And the whole show they talked about how they knew it was going to be tough, and they were going to have to have a great day to have a shot, etc. When in fact neither one had any shot whatsoever to ever get anywhere near qualifying, and I'm sure they knew this. Yes I'm cynical, but it was obvious all of the interviews were scripted and the whole show just seems like a complete phony hoax and basically a 30 minute ad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The one last week was a random age group athlete Mom. She kept saying convincingly on camera that she was going to qualify for Kona. Shes in the 30-34 group and looking up her times, her best Ironman coming into the show was 14hrs. Then she did 12hrs 38 on the show. She was either delusional or just trying to be on tv. Here are her times:
https://www.obstri.com/...rch=Heather%20Jenson

I did enjoy watching this though, especially since I did the same race, well produced.
Last edited by: CP78: Nov 1, 17 7:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First episode I saw was on a parathletic. He was racing one other Parathletic at a 70.3 Cairns. He made it. The second episode was a mother of 3 racing IM Santa Rosa. When I saw her on the bike, I knew she was not going to make it and did not. Finished around 12:20 and second slot in her age group was 10:41.
The sad part is that this series is leading up to the highlight show not the actual event that happened nearly a month ago now. At least that is what I am assuming from the timing.
Quote Reply
Re: Quest for Kona (NBC show) [CP78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So that's good tv and about what I expected. The guy doing the training 2 times a day to go 9:30 and qualify...that's boring as hell....that guy knows he is fast, but also understands it takes a great day to make it, etc. So yeah i get it now and about what i expected. Dramatize the hell out of it, because actual blood sweat and tears of grinding your way to Kona....BOOORING.

1st athlete I'm watching now- "eating" disorder in younger life, 10th or so IM race going for Kona.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Nov 1, 17 7:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well they did a good job of fooling me into thinking she had a chance. Then look up her splits and see a 6:38 bike and a 4:29 run, and shes saying shes a good runner. Maybe among her group of friends but this is nowhere near KQ level. Production is well done enough that Ill keep watching.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good production but the title of the show is misleading because one might think that all of the athletes featured (a few actually do) have a KQ level.

Love the Pain!

Quito-Ecuador
Quote Reply
Re: Quest for Kona (NBC show) [CP78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CP78 wrote:
The one last week was a random age group athlete Mom. She kept saying convincingly on camera that she was going to qualify for Kona. Shes in the 30-34 group and looking up her times, her best Ironman coming into the show was 14hrs. Then she did 12hrs 38 on the show. She was either delusional or just trying to be on tv. Here are her times:
https://www.obstri.com/...rch=Heather%20Jenson

I did enjoy watching this though, especially since I did the same race, well produced.

I watched this episode and I think the women was a paid actor. Beyond delusional.

I know going into each race I pretty much have no chance of qualifying and I've done 20 IMs. I know I have to break 11 and run under 4 hours _ I'm an old dude. In reality I know that is not likely going to happen given my training and half IM times leading into the race. No way I could do a TV show and say I was going to qualify. Who am I kidding.
Quote Reply
Re: Quest for Kona (NBC show) [summitt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Would you turn it down if got offered? That's probaly the bigger decision. Would you actually say "thanks but no thanks" knowing you arent actually ready for it. I'd wager the producers would come back and tell you they'll make it look good (like they did the Brazilian guy who finished 130th....they didn't really humilate him, more of it wasn't his "day").

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This show is no BS kind of depressing....
I think as I'm watching come on show a legit contender not an 'average Joe' with some unrealistic goal.

Who TF is producing the show? It HAS to be someone in the know.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I watched the one guy in Brazil. It had the similar production feel as the IM highlight show they do every year. They tried to build it up like he had a chance, but more times than not you can tell if someone has a chance just by looking at them. Not every time, but most of the time I can usually tell who's fast and who's slow. They showed this guy running and biking leading up to the race and I told my wife, no way in hell he finishes before the sun goes down. And I was right.

It was also funny to see him get emotional about getting a Clif Bar the day before the race. I'm thinking doesn't everyone get a Clif Bar in their bag. Some pro gave it to him, but it was comical to watch. I'm sure it was cool to people who don't have a clue about the sport.

I wonder where they get these guys? I want a show. I'm going to do Choo next year. Can I get a show?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
Would you turn it down if got offered? That's probaly the bigger decision. Would you actually say "thanks but no thanks" knowing you arent actually ready for it. I'd wager the producers would come back and tell you they'll make it look good (like they did the Brazilian guy who finished 130th....they didn't really humilate him, more of it wasn't his "day").

I would do the show but at the same time I would say, "I'm going to need a sub 11 to have a chance at qualifying and I'm likely going 11:30" I can predict my IM times within 15 minutes based on my half times leading into the race.

The women had no chance of qualifying based on her half times. You need to be doing 5 hour halfs, maybe a little under, to have a realistic chance at qualifying for Kona in the women's age group, especially 30-40. range. Even 40-49 you better be doing 5 hours because most of the top women are ex pros or ran in college. If you are well over 5 for a half or running half marathons at 1:45+ you don't have a prayer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
So that's good tv and about what I expected. The guy doing the training 2 times a day to go 9:30 and qualify...that's boring as hell....that guy knows he is fast, but also understands it takes a great day to make it, etc. So yeah i get it now and about what i expected. Dramatize the hell out of it, because actual blood sweat and tears of grinding your way to Kona....BOOORING.

1st athlete I'm watching now- "eating" disorder in younger life, 10th or so IM race going for Kona.

The aussie eating disorder model is close. 10:37 in Santa rosa.
Quote Reply
Re: Quest for Kona (NBC show) [TriathlonJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriathlonJoe wrote:
I wonder where they get these guys? I want a show. Can I get a show?

In a much bigger pool of athletes then show up on race day and actually have a shot of IM KQ. I'm at work so I have it on in background, and so far 1 out of 4 made it, and only 1 had a real shot (the para guy who was most prepared for it, and was very realistic going into race). What they are actually doing from an actual show standpoint is really almost impossible. Pick random AG'ers who actually qualify for the race. That's loooooow odds.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply

Prev Next