Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? Oct. 2 Edition
Quote | Reply
How are you and how was your week?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Oct. 2 Edition [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Goals for this week - do a good job alternating fast runs with interval runs. Finish a metric century on Saturday. Swim 5x. :-)
Sort of; done; done!

totals 5 swims 4975 yds ; 1 bike 65 mi ; 5 runs 34.8 mi ; one day complete off

The metric century was fun. I got lost at the end and started doing the course over, hence the extra miles. I went with a friend from work and had some social anxiety about it, but I think it was fine and I had fun. I took yesterday totally off. I'd had enough exercise on Sat. and I didn't want to leave the house!

Goals for this week: alternate workout runs with easy runs (did a workout run this AM to the best of my ability on tired-from-cycling legs), swim 5x; ride 3x (one long or intervals).

Happy October!

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Happy October Womens! Thank you for getting us started Dr. Tigerchik, good work getting your goals and congratulations on the ride!

My goals for last week were:

3 bikes, 3 swims, 3 runs, 2 strength sessions, and 1 yoga class.

On a personal note, this Wednesday will be 365 days since I started running again after last summer's time on disabled list. This is my first year of consistent, injury-free training and racing since I was in high school. I'm in my thirties now so this is an arbitrary but important personal goal for me.

I hit my goals last week with 3 bikes (2 trainer, 1 road), 3 runs (1 track, 1 trail, 1 road), 4 swims (3 pool, 1 ocean), 2 strength sessions (assessing where I am now and making a plan), and 1 yoga class. That all went well and felt like the appropriate amount of volume (lower) / intensity (75%-80%) for the offseason.
More importantly, I made my healthy year! I finished my run on Wednesday night, burst into tears, and proceeded to sob uncontrollably my entire walk home. They were happy/overwhelmed tears I guess. It took me a long time to achieve this goal but I learned so much along the way. Here's hoping I finally have the recipe figured out.

This week I'm planing on 3 bikes, 3 swims, 3 runs, 2 strength sessions, and 1 or 2 yoga classes.

I'll be in SLO's neck of the woods this weekend and planning to do a long ride and run up there over the weekend, maybe even a swim -- any suggestions, Hillary?

I hope everyone has a great week of training.

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi, Women!

Man, oh, man are my legs toasted. I don't even know why. I guess the extra-long run I had a week ago is still with me. But, I had some new personal best power numbers on the bike trainer this week, so that is great. By the time I got to my 10 mile run on Saturday I had lead legs and no energy. Dag-nabit.

Swim x2 (1 pool, 1 OWS)
Bike x3
Run x3

I swam in the swimming pool for the first time since July. Damn it is hot in there! I'm definitely acclimated to my 57 degree ocean water. I thought I was going to overheat! But, the great thing was that my 100 time has dropped to 1:18 (off the wall) and I'm holding 10x100 on the 1:30 with about 4 seconds rest at my weakest (usually around 6th 100). My 50 time was a 37.53 (off the wall). I wasn't able to break 1:25 or 40.0 when I gave up on the pool mid-summer and switched to OWS. So, it is working for me. I'd love to get my 100 down to 1:10 and my 50 to 32.0. I know I can get there. 10 years ago I was able to break 59.99 and 29.9 with about 4 days of focused swimming/week. But, I'm not willing to put in that much time, so my goals aren't that high (or low?). I'm still planning on doing only OWS. I'm in the A group now, but on the tail end of the group. More kicking!

I've poked the dragon in the main forum with a Race Weight Challenge. I'm tired of my fat ass and feeling like I am hucking around all this weight on my runs and grinding the gears up hill. So, I jumped into the fray of the main forum and lots of people were in for a challenge. So, now I'm running a challenge I guess. Feel free to join! I can't even believe I'm putting my weight on the internet for all to see. Oh well.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/.../?page=unread#unread

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/.../?page=unread#unread

Rock on, Women!

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Oct. 2 Edition [SLOgoing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SLOgoing, my university pool is a couple degrees higher than the Y pool I swam in all summer. I've acclimated but I can't imagine going from ocean to pool. Congrats on the powermeter PR!

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Oct. 2 Edition [SoCalTricurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SoCalTricurious wrote:

I'll be in SLO's neck of the woods this weekend and planning to do a long ride and run up there over the weekend, maybe even a swim -- any suggestions, Hillary?

OMG! How exciting. Big group ocean swim Sunday at 11:00 at Avila. We meet just to the south of the pier next to the shark sighting sign (which we always hope is NOT put up). All speeds!

http://swimavila.blogspot.com/?m=1

Long ride - so many options! Do you want flat or mountains? And when you say mountains, like make you cry when you get off to walk your bike up the hill, or just rollers? Haha. Flattest: Hwy 1 from SLO north as far as you want to go is always amazing with non-stop ocean views. If you want to throw in some serious climbing, hang a right on Old Creek Road in Cayucos and prepare for some quad busting. It will spit you back out in Cambria and then the wind will push you back to SLO. Or, head south-east to Lopez Lake and hang a right on High Mountain Road (that should be a hint). Or drive over the hill to Santa Margarita and have endless hills. I can send you some routes if you want. How far and how much climbing?

And, if you want to enjoy a 7 mile uphill run (or gravel bike), East Cuesta Ridge. Unbelievable views. Or Montana de Oro is a trail running mecca. Or look up SLO Trail Runners on Facebook for their group run (all speeds welcome). I have tons of run routes. You can find me on Strava to stalk some of them. I don't have a lot of rides on Strava.... Or! Sign up for the City to Sea 1/2 marathon that is this weekend. GREAT race. I think they even do race-day registration. I'm on the fence on the race still... I'll decide the day before. :-)

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Quote Reply
Post deleted by Anna s [ In reply to ]
Re: How was your week? Oct. 2 Edition [Anna s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They sleep on my tummy sometimes! They have taken to sleeping by my head or shoulder at night, too, which is the BEST.

Kids are natural climbers!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Midtown Miles wrote:
We have a big work event Saturday so I am going to really try to hit a workout every weekday. ... I'd like to run 4-5 total times this week, do at least 2 trainer rides, and lift twice. Hitting the pool and extra stuff will be tricky, but we'll see what I can fit in.

As usual I got a little optimistic with what I could accomplish. I did do three runs and a trainer ride Monday-Thursday. I did NOT get up early Friday, Saturday or Sunday to work out before the day's plans (LOL who am I kidding). But the good news is I had fun at the My Favorite Murder live show Friday night and a nice date night with the husband, Saturday was a long but successful work event, and Sunday I got to hang out with my grandmother who turns 85!!!!!! tomorrow and do a bunch of kitchen prep work for the week.

This week is also going to be busy with plans after work tonight and tomorrow. But I got in a solid track workout yesterday and have no real plans this weekend so I'm looking forward to some nice, uninterrupted training. Maybe I will take my bike out to the state park now that it's cooler and I won't be run over by half-drunken beach goers.

Nice work on the metric century Dr. TC! I've done one and that's the longest I've ever ridden, so I'm impressed you were able to do a few extra miles at the end.
Congrats on the year of injury-free running, SoCal! Unfortunately I've learned the hard way that I CANNOT neglect strength training, and I ain't a spring chicken, either. Here's hoping you have many more pain-free running years ahead of you!
SLO, I had to chuckle at your pool temperature comment... I made the mistake once of swimming in a family pool at the end of the day while pool aerobics was going on. I had to get out and cool down because I almost barfed. XD My usual pool is dedicated laps and nice and cool... I always grumble getting in but after a lap or two you don't feel it anyway.
Anna, I have never tried climbing but I would love to -- it sounds like so much fun.

I can't imagine swimming in the ocean; it sounds terrifying. In the Midwest we mostly swim in little lakes... the biggest danger is probably's swimmer's ear. I wouldn't be able to deal with huge waves and sharks!!!

http://mediocremultisport.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you SLO. I'm staying in Morro Bay so I think I'll do the quad buster up Old Creek on Saturday. On Sunday, I'm down to run the Sea to City if you are. Or the ocean swim way from way behind you (you are fast and getting faster!) Let me know :D

Thanks Midtown, to say I learned the hard way is the understatement of the thread and it took me an embarrassingly long time too. Let's hope we have healthy, strong, fun running in our future! And swimming in the ocean is really amazing and exhilarating -- you know that feeling when you get to the top of a really steep trail and you look out at the world from the summit? That's ocean swimming in a nutshell. If you find yourself in LA, you know who to call.

Thank you Anna, I appreciate your encouragement. And I love seeing little girls crushing it on the wall -- your daughter sounds adventurous and Ashima is such a powerhouse inspiration for all of us.

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Oct. 2 Edition [Midtown Miles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Midtown Miles wrote:
I can't imagine swimming in the ocean; it sounds terrifying. In the Midwest we mostly swim in little lakes... the biggest danger is probably's swimmer's ear. I wouldn't be able to deal with huge waves and sharks!!!

The sharks are only a problem when they eat you, which will only happen once in your life, so no need to sweat it.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh that made me laugh but did nothing to curb my shark related anxiety!

Jumping in late, my goals were ride x 3, run/hike x 2. I managed two rides and 1 hike. For some reason I didn't get any run workouts from my physio - she appears to have gone AWOL. The hike was great - we did the Larch Valley from Moraine Lake (pictures here). Hikes like this are usually really tough for me because I have terrible balance and trip over everything in sight, especially on the way down. BUT it looks like all the work I've been doing on my movement patterns has really helped as I felt incredibly stable and actually enjoyed the hike, especially the downhill section!

This week: bike x 3 (1 done), run x 2 (I'll recycle workouts from before).
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Oct. 2 Edition [SoCalTricurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SoCalTricurious wrote:
Thank you SLO. I'm staying in Morro Bay so I think I'll do the quad buster up Old Creek on Saturday. On Sunday, I'm down to run the Sea to City if you are. Or the ocean swim way from way behind you (you are fast and getting faster!) Let me know :D

You are in for some AMAZING weather this weekend in Morro Bay. I just made plans to head out to see mum this weekend in SLC as she does her countdown to end of life. Fortunately, she's still full of spunk, but starting to fade fast so that makes me sad. I am glad to be able to give her so many hugs and kisses before she's gone. So, no City to Sea run for me this weekend. I might, however, try to see if there are any OWS opportunities in that giant Salt Lake of Utah. Do people swim in that thing?

But I would totally encourage you to hook up with the swimmers in Avila. It is just simply a fun swim and they love visitors. So, if you bike Old Creek, run Montana de Oro, and swim Avila, you will have done three of the top 10 tri things the Central Coast boasts. Just simply the best stuff. Here. Let me plan your weekend for you. Haha.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SLOgoing wrote:
Midtown Miles wrote:
The sharks are only a problem when they eat you, which will only happen once in your life, so no need to sweat it.
Hahahaha! It's like the joke about being chased by a bear. You don't have to be faster than the bear, you only need to be faster than the other guy running from the bear.

http://mediocremultisport.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks SLO, my weekend sounds great :D

I'm sorry to hear about your Mom but hope you have a beautiful visit. I am sure she appreciates your care.

You CAN swim in the Great Salt Lake -- Antelope Island has (had?) to have a buoyed course but it *might* be too cold / closed for the season. I was in SLC a few weeks ago and it was already getting into the forties at night and there was snow at the top of the mountains. If you do swim out there it'll be a cool experience, the salt gives you a weird buoyancy without a wetsuit. I've swum at the Sorenson pool while visiting.

If you're hoping to run, SLC has some of my favorite trails -- check out Corner Canyon in Draper (only ~4 miles but spectacular) or Big Cottonwood Canyon (your choice of quad busting climbs at varying distance) or run the path around Bridal Falls and then head into the trails.

Safe travels.

Quote Reply