Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Well that timing sucks
Quote | Reply
It looks like at IMLOU, I am going to be in the bleed-like-I-have-been-stabbed, I-want-to-spend-all-day-in-bed phase of my period.
Has anyone dealt with this, and if so, how? Unfortunately for me, oral contraceptives to control my cycle are not an option.
Quote Reply
Re: Well that timing sucks [happyscientist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have always had great results with ibuprofen (by the hand full if necessary ;-). Medical dosage is up to 1,600 mg is a safe dosage, thus the hand full of 200 mg comment. My only advice is to take the preliminary dosage with food and carry it with you, along with your salt pills. BTW, I've done IMLou 2X and it can be crazy hot and humid there. And throughout the day, you should at least down a gel with your ibuprofen for your stomach's sake.

This has been enough to take me through the Boston Marathon. I was hemmoraghing to add to the rest of my fun that day and there wasn't a tampon to be found anywhere. So, figure that out as well beforehand. The Diva Cup may be a good choice if you don't already use it. http://divacup.com/

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: Well that timing sucks [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. What was the port-a-potty situation on the bike course at IMLOU? I will have to carry a baggie with tampons in the bike and run. Unless some miracle happens, I will have to take the time to change my shorts in T2.
I hope with the October race date, it isn't too hot. I have a hard time in the heat under the best circumstances.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As with any Ironman event, the port-o-potties were numerous and well-stocked. The bike course is out in horse country, so quite pretty while you ride.

I raced when the event was held in August, not October. So at least, the heat will not be an issue. I wish you well and please report back on this thread how the race went!

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pain killers during an IM are a BAD idea - especially is you plan on racing. If you are going to be going pretty easy your body might be able to handle it better but the additional stress on your kidneys and liver is just not worth it, especially in high doses. Don't do it, or at least talk to your doctor about it first.

I have no good ideas for the bleeding other than take the tampons with you - there will be a toilet at every aid station on the bike and usually about every mile on the run, at aid stations. Put some in special needs. I'm sorry the timing is so bad for you. I used to have really heavy flow for the first 2 days - I have an IUD now and I'll still get the crampy, periody feeling each month but I only spot now - and its so light I don't even need anything. It was the best decision ever!!! Good Luck!

PS - weather should be good - everyone who says it is hot is remembering the August race, the last 2 years in October have been very nice - even cool early.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Really sorry to hear about this crappy stroke of luck re. timing. I second the Diva Cup recommendation... I started using one years ago, and never looked back. Also much simpler than having to carry a bunch of tampons around.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ditto the no painkillers during a race recommendation. Definitely curb some race expectations or goals and make the most of the day. Maybe pack a special "treat" for the bike or run that you ordinarily wouldn't for a pick-me-up. Hope all goes well!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't really need painkillers. My cramps tend to be mild. The issue is more to do with my low energy levels. There is only so much caffeine my digestive system can handle (and it increases the heart rate).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Now that you mention low energy, you might look into this before you compete. I have no experience with this, although the physician's assistant at work gives me vitamin B12 shots (a component in Myer's cocktail) regularly because they help.

http://altmedrev.com/...ications/7/5/389.pdf

And because some may ask, vitamins and minerals are (obviously) WADA-compliant. Good luck; just another suggestion to help you to a great race, even if you have some unlucky timing...

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: Well that timing sucks [jockette21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This may not help HappyScientist, given race timing, and can be inconsistent for various bodies I guess, but I'm a fan of the no menstruation that accompanies my Mirena IUD. I could care less about the birth contol aspect of it.

As with HS, I can't take the pill. I think the Diva cup sounds disgusting but I'm glad another option has become available.

Best wishes HS. I wish I had a good tidbit to help with energy levels.

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SallyShortyPnts wrote:
I have always had great results with ibuprofen (by the hand full if necessary ;-). Medical dosage is up to 1,600 mg is a safe dosage, thus the hand full of 200 mg comment. My only advice is to take the preliminary dosage with food and carry it with you, along with your salt pills. BTW, I've done IMLou 2X and it can be crazy hot and humid there. And throughout the day, you should at least down a gel with your ibuprofen for your stomach's sake.

This has been enough to take me through the Boston Marathon. I was hemmoraghing to add to the rest of my fun that day and there wasn't a tampon to be found anywhere. So, figure that out as well beforehand. The Diva Cup may be a good choice if you don't already use it. http://divacup.com/

I can't emphasise enough how poor this advice is.

DO NOT MIX NON-STEROIDAL ANTI-INFLAMATORIES WITH ENDURANCE SPORTS.

There's plenty of published literature that documents the complications that can occur, especially in relation to kidney damage.

I have seen several runners hospitalised with renal failure due to racing on ibuprofen, including one woman who was lucky to leave hospital alive.
Quote Reply
Re: Well that timing sucks [satanellus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And I gave the advice after my 12+ Ironmans and doing this every time. So the histrionics can now be turned off.

It works for me; it doesn’t work for everyone.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's not histrionics.

The connection between NSAIDs, endurance and renal failure/rhabdomyolisis is unequivocal, well studied and well documented.

Warnings against use of NSAIDs are commonly among the most heavily stressed messages during medical briefings at ultramarathons. Indeed renal shutdown is addressed as the first point on Medical Risks page on the Western States site. http://www.wser.org/...cal-and-other-risks/

Anyone considering mixing NSAIDS and racing would benefit from reading more widely or talk with more medical personnel who have a particular interest in this area.

SSP, just because you've been fortunate to dodge a bullet so far, (as have I on a few occasions many years ago when I knew no better), it doesn't make your advice sound or well-informed.

SSP, please don't take my posting personally. There is some excellent knowledge and advice on ST, accumulated from an extraordinary amount of training and racing, but this is a rare case of well-meaning advice with the potential to go seriously wrong.

Apologies for "shouting" with the upper case, but it's an importance of the message shouldn't be missed.
Last edited by: satanellus: Sep 27, 17 2:41
Quote Reply