Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Pro Team to use 3T Strada with 1x
Quote | Reply
http://www.bikeradar.com/...ring-3t-bikes-50852/

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Pro Team to use 3T Strada with 1x [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's awesome!

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/article/pro-road-team-to-race-on-single-ring-3t-bikes-50852/

Well...we know the team mechanics will be kept busy ;-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What will they do for a TT bike?
Quote Reply
Re: Pro Team to use 3T Strada with 1x [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
BryanD wrote:
http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/article/pro-road-team-to-race-on-single-ring-3t-bikes-50852/

Well...we know the team mechanics will be kept busy ;-)

Why? 1/2 as many derailleurs to adjust - but probably more chainrings to swap. Call it a draw?

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Pro Team to use 3T Strada with 1x [kiwi.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kiwi. wrote:

Very good thought. Guess it's time 3T makes the Strada TT/tri. Aka, 1x disc P4 reincarnation.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fairly OT, but if anyon here is interested in a bangin discount on a Strada PM me. My dealer is hooking up a significant volume discount but we need more volume to drive down unit price
Quote Reply
Re: Pro Team to use 3T Strada with 1x [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:
My dealer is hooking up a significant volume discount but we need more volume to drive down unit price

quoted for posterity...

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Pro Team to use 3T Strada with 1x [kiwi.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kiwi. wrote:

I would bet money their next bike is a TT rig. Here’s hoping for P4 geo
Quote Reply
Re: Pro Team to use 3T Strada with 1x [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This actually is an interesting play by 3T/SRAM for encouraging adoption of XD/R wheels: aside from advertising, neutral support has to procure at least some (at least at high-profile races), which perhaps removes/lowers a barrier for other racers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But will they use them at all events throughout the season, or just a couple riders at a couple of showcase events? Should be interesting.
Quote Reply
Re: Pro Team to use 3T Strada with 1x [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:
That's awesome!

As a cyclist i see a few significant issues, in particular for a team that potentially might be invited to a grand tour.

1. You loose the ability to have climbing and sprint shifters, thats a big deal for sprinters
2. loss of small gear jumps, ideal cadence is critical in racing and that is now thrown out the window
3. If you are on a climb and get a neutral wheel you could be up a creek very fast with a standard 11/28 that neutral carries. Not to mention slower wheel changes due to the disc brake.
4. Heavy, not a big deal for most, but for a climber who is as lean as possible those extra kilos are not welcome.
5. If they race Roubaix (big if) they cannot ride anything beyond a 28mm tire
Quote Reply
Re: Pro Team to use 3T Strada with 1x [Ron_Burgundy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ron_Burgundy wrote:
milesthedog wrote:
That's awesome!

As a cyclist i see a few significant issues, in particular for a team that potentially might be invited to a grand tour.

1. You loose the ability to have climbing and sprint shifters, thats a big deal for sprinters
2. loss of small gear jumps, ideal cadence is critical in racing and that is now thrown out the window
3. If you are on a climb and get a neutral wheel you could be up a creek very fast with a standard 11/28 that neutral carries. Not to mention slower wheel changes due to the disc brake.
4. Heavy, not a big deal for most, but for a climber who is as lean as possible those extra kilos are not welcome.

most of these things have been covered to the point of exhaustion with regard to 1x and disc brakes - service vehicles will carry disc wheels; real world results show Cat1/Pro riders not pedaling at a "perfect" cadence all of the time or taking full advantage of small jumps between gears.

But, the thought that sram red blips couldn't currently be used for 1x seems like an odd assumption. I won't be surprised to see dual shifter 1x etap system with RD clutch in the near future, or a 12sp sram cog and etap that, via firmware updates, can do 11 and 12sp cassettes. Also, not sure I'd consider that frame heavy. And, as for Roubaix, seeing how Paris-Roubaix has been won on a Canyon Aeroroad, I think the 3T, which has a tad more room for wider tires, will handle the job just find and I'm pretty sure I could squeeze 30cc tires into that frame and fork.

Quote Reply
Re: Pro Team to use 3T Strada with 1x [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
doublea334 wrote:
kiwi. wrote:

Very good thought. Guess it's time 3T makes the Strada TT/tri. Aka, 1x disc P4 reincarnation.

Really looking forward to that possibility. Though, the relatively middle of the road stack on the Strada makes me think they could take a similar route with a TT frame, so no P4 geometry probably. Maybe there won't be a correlation between road and tri geometries, but had the Strada's geometry been a bit more Canyon Aeroroad-like, I may be more convinced P4 geometry was on the horizon.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is some new pics of the Strada

http://road.cc/...-3t-strada-race-trim

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I prefer the red. Or blue and white
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:
I prefer the red. Or blue and white

beautiful bike either way...

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Pro Team to use 3T Strada with 1x [Ron_Burgundy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ron_Burgundy wrote:
milesthedog wrote:
That's awesome!

To play devil's advocate..........

1. Etap? I see no issue there.
2. Only on climbing stages with powered descents. Otherwise, pros sit in the big ring even on some pretty rolling terrain all day long anyway. Even I can't remember the last time around town I left the big ring, including some 3 min hills up to 11-12% in parts. And I'm a nobody.
3. What about the disc brake and rim brake mix you already have?
4. Heavy? I guarantee it's still probably tickling the UCI weight limit as an aero rig. The issue isn't that, it's the stiffness and geometry of the carbon versus a climbing bike. Climbing bikes aren't just light, they have different layups and geometry for the purpose.
5. Roubaix is commonly run on 28's and 30's. All the latest winners were 28's or 30's. So a 28 is still within the majority of setups for the race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have to admit that this bike is growing on me. However, I would definitely wait for 2.0. It absolutely need ETap, which is the only reason I would ever move to a SRAM group, and then SRAM needs to shrink their hydro lever design to something less hideous.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And which TT bikes? Cervelo? :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Pro Team to use 3T Strada with 1x [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m with you, I’m on the fence between this and an OPEN U.P. frameset for a 1x build.
Quote Reply
Re: Pro Team to use 3T Strada with 1x [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
To play devil's advocate..........

1. Etap? I see no issue there.
2. Only on climbing stages with powered descents. Otherwise, pros sit in the big ring even on some pretty rolling terrain all day long anyway. Even I can't remember the last time around town I left the big ring, including some 3 min hills up to 11-12% in parts. And I'm a nobody.
3. What about the disc brake and rim brake mix you already have?
4. Heavy? I guarantee it's still probably tickling the UCI weight limit as an aero rig. The issue isn't that, it's the stiffness and geometry of the carbon versus a climbing bike. Climbing bikes aren't just light, they have different layups and geometry for the purpose.
5. Roubaix is commonly run on 28's and 30's. All the latest winners were 28's or 30's. So a 28 is still within the majority of setups for the race.

eTap isn't offered with a clutch. I am using Shimano XT Di2, and it weighed in at 16.4 lbs before pedals (but with garmin mount, cages, etc.).
Quote Reply
Re: Pro Team to use 3T Strada with 1x [mike s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mike s wrote:
I’m with you, I’m on the fence between this and an OPEN U.P. frameset for a 1x build.

Are you confusing the Strada for the Exploro? Because the Strada has very little in common with the Open UP.
Quote Reply
Re: Pro Team to use 3T Strada with 1x [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup..I am..head in shame
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:
I am using Shimano XT Di2

Have you had any issues with this setup? For my 1x setup, I tried running a new XT 8050 di2 RD with Ultegra 6870 levers and it would work for a while then stop working. I could then "CTRL-ALT-DEL" i.e. pull the plug on the RD, and it would reset the system and things would work again, but only for a while. Replaced the 8050 di2 RD with an Ultegra and Dura-Ace RD and everything was fine.

What levers are you using with the XT RD?

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply

Prev Next