Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Interbike - One Week Away & Last Time in LV!
Quote | Reply
Interbike is one week away.

Looks like the last time in Las Vegas!

Who's going? What will you be there for and looking for?

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Interbike - One Week Away & Last Time in LV! [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
Interbike is one week away.

Looks like the last time in Las Vegas!

Who's going? What will you be there for and looking for?

Disc brake triathlon bikes

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
See you in the Tri Pavilion!

I'll be lurking at the Fit Symposium on Tuesday, then on a panel for TBI Thursday morning.

Anne Barnes
ABBikefit, Ltd
FIST/SICI/FIST DOWN DEEP
X/Y Coordinator
abbikefit@gmail.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll be there, and mainly looking for a chance to catch my breath after building 150+ display and demo bikes... :)

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
where's it going and is it leaving LV due to burn out of same venue year after year, etc?

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Interbike - One Week Away & Last Time in LV! [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brooks,

It's a long story - the Interbike move from LV to Reno

News item here - http://www.bicycleretailer.com/north-america/2017/08/03/interbike-heads-reno-tahoe-2018-show#.Wbl-17KGP3g

A more detailed analysis from Ray Maker here - https://www.dcrainmaker.com/...ns-to-consumers.html

Ray get's at this a bit but the show does not really serve the purpose that it was originally intended to do - for sellers of bike products to meet with potential buyers (retailers & distributors), and for orders to be placed for the following year. That's was the key function of the show, years ago.

Most selling/buying in the bike business now, be it bikes, apparel or other accessories, is almost now DONE by this time of the year - either via in-store Reps or other B2B sales channels.

Most of the major bike brands pulled out years ago - opting to do their own inhouse show-and-tell mini conferences for their dealers either at their own locations or some other place and flying everyone in. This for some/many bike brands, was actually LESS costly than setting up a big booth at Interbike.

Last edited by: Fleck: Sep 13, 17 12:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will be there! Please say hello if you see me. And if I look lost, please point me in a good direction.

Trent Nix
Owned and operated Tri Shop
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll be there, and I think I'm on the same panel as ABarnes.

Actually, Steve, I'd like to carve out some time with you. I'm there Wed & Thu, though I'll be in Kona, too.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Re: Interbike - One Week Away & Last Time in LV! [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sure thing, Jim.

I'll send you an eMail. Let's figure out a time to meet.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am not and not missing it. But wish you all fun while I go work out.
Quote Reply
Re: Interbike - One Week Away & Last Time in LV! [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am not and not missing it. But wish you all fun while I go work out.

We'll miss you! :)

Please go for a ride or run for me! :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll be in Vegas, racing CrossVegas.
They've done away with consumer day and I don't have a connection to get in. So, I'll just be a tourist for a couple of days.
Quote Reply
Re: Interbike - One Week Away & Last Time in LV! [Rumpled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll be in Vegas, racing CrossVegas.

Best wishes!

Will try and make it out to CrossVegas this year.

The problem is, it makes for a VERY late night if you stay for the final races.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Home from Interbike - Today is the last day (Friday) but historically, I can get down what I need to do in 2-days at the show.

It was patently obvious that the show was considerably smaller than in years past - I'd guess maybe half the size it was even two years ago. THIS was the #1 topic of conversation, and second - where is the bike/tri business going?

I will fully admit that the original utility of a trade show like Interbike - putting sellers and buyers together in the same room in an industry has been greatly diminished. But success in sales, in business etc, particular in the world of B2B business . . has always been more about the relationships, than about the transactions. In that regard, a trade show like Interbike still has great value. Consider the following two pictures and the key players in them!

Left to Right - Gerard Vroomen ( Co-Founder Cervelo, Co-Owner 3T), Cid Cardoso Jnr, (Founder of Inside-Out-Sports - one of the first ever true Tri-Shops ), Dan Empfield (Founder of QR and Slowtwitch), Dan Rishworth (Founder of Endurosport - first Triathlon Shop in Canada, and first Cervelo dealer!)

Dan Empfield and Phil White (Co-Founder of Cervelo)

The knowledge and leadership of all of the men above about the bike and triathlon business, is extraordinary. The number of "firsts" is unbelievable. Tapping into all this all, via formal or informal conversation is where the REAL value is in a trade show such as Interbike, where selling and buying has been diminished, and knowledge, networking and connecting has become the currency of value!

For me this has ALWAYS been what a trade show like Interbike is about - not the flashy new gear, the swag handed out, or transactions/orders made- it's about the relationships - both new ones forged, and older ones reinforced or leveraged.

Many were saying Interbike was a bit of a waste of time this year. On the contrary, I found it to have been one of the best and most productive ones I have been to in recent years! :)

Last edited by: Fleck: Sep 22, 17 11:56
Quote Reply