Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What Are You Running In? [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NB Zante v1
NB Zante v3
NB Gobi v1 (trials, up to 100 miles), v2 on deck

Rappstar wrote:

I had the NB Fresh Foam Zante and really liked that and will probably buy another pair. Also really intrigued by some of the new Nike's with the knitted uppers...

The Zante v3 has a knitted upper.

Rappstar wrote:

What do you think of the Wildhorse? I'm really intrigued by that shoe... I live on a park with great trails. Looking for something to replace that pair of Boco ATs.

If you like the Zante, try the Gobi for a trail shoe. You can probably snag a pair of the v1 for around $50-60.
Last edited by: iruntrails: Sep 14, 17 4:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Hoka Clifton (default daily trainer)
Asics Noosa (default uptempo trainer)
Asics Hyperspeed (racing)

I also have Nike Pegasus, but don't really use them anymore. The Clifton's are lighter than both the Noosas and Pegs are are great to run in, I almost ditched Hoka's after having a pair of Stinsons which were heavy and clumpy, cushioning, but not a pleasure to run in. Love the Hyperspeeds for racing, great for running fast.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hoka Clayton
NB Vazee Prism
Adidas Supernova
Quote Reply
Re: What Are You Running In? [Nerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hoka Bondi 5 (long runs)
Asics Gel Nimbus (5-10K)

"The first virtue in a soldier is endurance of fatigue; courage is only the second virtue."
- Napoleon Bonaparte
Quote Reply
Re: What Are You Running In? [Don_W] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NB Vazee Pace V2 (Haven't tried them yet though)
NB 1400V4 (Absolutely love them, best shoe I've had yet. Use it for training but mostly for races)
Brooks Defyance 9 (Heavier, more rugged shoe. Nice for bad weather or trail runs though)
Quote Reply
Re: What Are You Running In? [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
Rappstar wrote:
... For training (except specific pace work off the bike), I like 7-9oz with 4-6mm of offset. For racing, I like 10mm of offset.

Can you expand on this - why 4mm for training, but 10mm for racing?

after a lot of experimentation (maybe a stretch to call it "testing"), I found that I run faster *off the bike* in shoes with more offset. It came during the year that I was running in Newtons (2015). My normal run training was really good. But I never seemed to run as fast off the bike with the Newtons as I did with a pair of Adidas flats I had (which had more offset). After some back-and-forth tests with shoes with different offset, it was clear that I ran faster off the bike with more offset. And then in some subsequent discussions, I found that I was not alone in this phenomenon. After trying to think about why, my best guess/conclusion is that cycling fatigues the lower leg enough that the greater ROM induced by a lower offset shoe put additional load on muscles that are already tired.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a very wide foot. My shoe size is 10.5 4E. This limits my options for footwear as not many manufacturers make quality top shelf running shoes, and shoes that "run wide" only seem like they run wide for people with normal width feet, but don't even come close for people with Sasquatch feet like me.

I used to run in Asics Nimbus & Cumulus, but the quality went down & you could not run in them sockless. Several years ago I switched to the Saucony Triumph ISO & I haven't looked back. I have 8 pair of the ISO2 in my closet that I rotate through.

I wish I could find someone that makes racing flats or minimalist shoes for wide feet just so I could try them. The new Nike Zoom Fly that were used to try & break 2:00 would be cool to try. The ON Cloudflash upper is loose like a pair of Chuck Taylors that it "fit" my foot, but I doubt it would last long for me with a lot of miles (and for $180, I don't feel the need to try & force it).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This year I'm running almost exclusively in Mizuno.

Rider, Hitogami, Hayate. I've done one race in my Asics Hypertri's only cuz I don't have a sockless Mizuno shoe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
SBRcanuck wrote:
Rappstar wrote:
... For training (except specific pace work off the bike), I like 7-9oz with 4-6mm of offset. For racing, I like 10mm of offset.

Can you expand on this - why 4mm for training, but 10mm for racing?

after a lot of experimentation (maybe a stretch to call it "testing"), I found that I run faster *off the bike* in shoes with more offset. It came during the year that I was running in Newtons (2015). My normal run training was really good. But I never seemed to run as fast off the bike with the Newtons as I did with a pair of Adidas flats I had (which had more offset). After some back-and-forth tests with shoes with different offset, it was clear that I ran faster off the bike with more offset. And then in some subsequent discussions, I found that I was not alone in this phenomenon. After trying to think about why, my best guess/conclusion is that cycling fatigues the lower leg enough that the greater ROM induced by a lower offset shoe put additional load on muscles that are already tired.

I've experienced the same thing. My go to race shoe is/was the NB 1600's with 8mm drop but they are getting very hard to find now. NB replaced the 1600's with the hanzo's which have 4mm drop and just always feel very flat footed when running fast in 4mm drops.

I am a natural mid foot/forefoot striker since 2nd grade and the more drop has always put my foot in a natural position when striking the ground. Struggling to find the replacement for the 1600's but testing the Nike zoom streak 6 and the brooks Hyperion for 70.3's. Prob will move to the lunar racers for Ironman even though those have been discounted as well. Its getting tough out there right now for the traditional racing flat folks.
Quote Reply
Re: What Are You Running In? [Nerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hoka Clayton
Saucony Kinvara 6
Saucony Kinvara TR
Altra Lone Peak 3.0 Neoshell
Quote Reply
Re: What Are You Running In? [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pun_Times wrote:
Main Shoe: Alta Escalante (also for HM and longer races)
Race/Interval Shoe: Merrill Bare Access
Recovery Runs: Altra Olympus
Trail Runs: Altra Superior

I also sometimes do short runs in the Altra Samson (barefoot type shoe, was discontinued). In the past year the following have been my main shoe at some point: Altra Instinct, Alta The One, Sketchers GoMeb. The next shoe I want to try is the Nike Zoom Fly.

We have almost the exact same shoe setup, except replace all your non-Altra shoes with Skora (they will make new shoes again!) and that I race in the The One or Escalante

I love my Altra Samsons and I hate that I won't be able to buy another pair.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Road training shoe rotation:
- Brooks Ravena
- Brooks Pure Cadence
- Saucony Guide

Trail shoes:
- Pearl Izumi N3 (last model before they got out of doing running shoes)
- Brooks Pure Grit 4 (soon to be retired)
- Brooks Pure Grit 5
- Altra Lone Peak 3.0

Racing:
- Saucony A4 (for 5k and under)
- Brooks Racer ST5 (longer distance stuff)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Longtime Mizuno Wave Rider user, recently switched to Hoka Clifton 2. I had some nagging inner knee tendinitis, and the Hokas seem to have really helped, because the lesser offset forces more of a midfoot strike and perhaps also just because they are different, and the change in gait gave the knee a chance to heal. On roads, the cushiness of the Hokas is also nice, though I miss the firm feeling of the Mizunos.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On road;

Sketchers Go Run Ride 6 - love these things for training, super comfortable, and they're only like $60
Saucony Kinvara for speedier work

Trail -

Nike Terra Kiger 3/4
Scott RC Supertrac
Quote Reply
Re: What Are You Running In? [re-fresh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Curious as to whether you have run in the Brooks Launch 2 and 3 models?
I loved my Launch 2's and luckily still have two (2) pairs in rotation but the Launch 3's have been tearing up the back of my ankles at the achilles. If I run more than three (3) miles in them I end up with ripped skin.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
General training: Newton Gravity IV & Fate 2 (got a few pairs on close out pricing)
Trail: Inov-8 Roclite 295 (not a huge fan of these in anything but really wet, muddy conditions)
Recovery when I want a really soft ride: Asics Nimbus 17 (these have lasted a long time)
Secondary recovery: Saucony Triumph (again, not a massive fan but I wear them the odd time)

----------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For a long time I've been on a NB kick:
- Vazee Pace;
- Fresh Foam Zante;
- Vazee 2090; and, now I'm in marathon training and looking for cushioning,
- Baracay v3

I'd race in NB 1500s up to and including the marathon.

Recently though I had a chance to sample the trendy new Nikes and have about 200 miles on the Zoom Fly SPs. I was really skeptical but they're probably the most enjoyable road shoe I've ever run in.

Or were because now I just picked up the Vapor Flys and, honestly, they're even more ridiculous. I'll race in them the first time next weekend but they are SO FUN.

"Are you sure we're going fast enough?" - Emil Zatopek
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live in Ireland so the rain mostly.
Quote Reply
Re: What Are You Running In? [LukeIzard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LukeIzard wrote:
I live in Ireland so the rain mostly.

:)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have quite liked them. I find the toe box nice and wide and I have no problems keeping my heel locked in. I find them a little stiff when I first head out in them (since I get used to lighter road runners) but they disappear on my feet quickly. The mesh near my pinkie toe is starting to develop a hole in one shoe, but considering the miles I've put on them I can't complain (and it's nothing a dab of shoe goo can't fix). The only negative I can think of is that I start to feel hotspots under the balls of my feet on runs longer than 90 mins, but that could be due to the mileage on the shoe or my lacing in the forefoot not keeping things snug enough (and it has never been bad enough to cause blisters or skin damage).
Quote Reply
Re: What Are You Running In? [HoustonTri(er)] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm actually still in the Launch 1 and will be sad when they are soon retired as they are my last pair. I do notice that they sit high on the achilles but haven't had any skin irritation with them (although I almost always wear quarter socks or tabbed socks to prevent such issues) and haven't had any wear issues on the padding in that area.

I've seen the 3s and 4s on sale and kind of want to try a pair, but I worry that I will be disappointed since I have liked the 1s so much and I'm sure the newer models are quite different.
Quote Reply
Re: What Are You Running In? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:

Rider, Hitogami, Hayate. I've done one race in my Asics Hypertri's only cuz I don't have a sockless Mizuno shoe.

Mizuno is one of the few brands I have yet to try. Generally speaking, how do you find the sizing in these shoes? If I'm wearing a 12.5 or 13 in most brands, which way would you error with the Mizunos?
Quote Reply
Re: What Are You Running In? [re-fresh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
re-fresh wrote:
jaretj wrote:

Mizuno is one of the few brands I have yet to try. Generally speaking, how do you find the sizing in these shoes? If I'm wearing a 12.5 or 13 in most brands, which way would you error with the Mizunos?

My running shop was selling Mizuni Wave Enigma very cheaply - $40, so I bought some, but have ran in them twice and now use them for working in the garden. Strange shoes, heavy but they don't feel cushioned at all. They had Hitogamis going cheap too, they looked really uncomfortable even for a racing flat. They were an older model though.
Quote Reply
Re: What Are You Running In? [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hoka One One Clifton 3 - Long Slow Distance or if I am feeling beat up
Asics Gel Noosa Tri-8 - beater shoe...kinda sucks and I won't buy again
Nike FS Lite 2 - beater shoe...doesn't suck, but still wont buy again
Adidas Ultra Boost - Race Shoe & Marathon Shoe
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trail Shoes
Hoka Challenger - for long slow
Altra Superior - For fun trails I also hiked Mt. Whitney in July in this.
On Cloud Venture - Ran in them until they were toast.

On the Road- All baed on feel at the time.
Asics Roadhawk FF
Saucony Kinvara
NB Fuel Core Sonic
On Cloud Flow
Nike Lunar Glide - I always have a Nike in the mix because I've got a Nike foot. Their shoes fit my foot the best. Fly Wire is the best thing about a Nike Upper, FlyKnit is like any upper, some good some not so good.

Dave Jewell
Free Run Speed

Quote Reply

Prev Next