Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Seasucker
Quote | Reply
Anyone has tried one? Positive? Negative?
Quote Reply
Re: Seasucker [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stover swears by them.

I also use one. It works as expected. But also has some obvious drawbacks from other systems too (cant leave car unattended and takes a bit more time to get setup and mounted).

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your bike is not going to fly off if that is your concern. If you want a removable ankle-biter rack system, this is your only option.

The way I see it is, if you're regularly using a roof rack, go permanent with Thule or Yakima. If you want something removable, get a hitch or trunk rack. If you want removable but don't want a hitch or trunk rack, then SeaSucker is a great option, indeed the only option.
Quote Reply
Re: Seasucker [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is my ONLY concern indeed. Just want to make sure it sticks :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used my teammates this year when we drove down the SC for our team's training camp. Speeds over 80mph with two bikes mounted and nary an issue. I did check to make sure to pump up any of the suckers that might have bled off any (had one on the three mount that was giving me issues). They aren't for me, but I can see their value especially if I had any desire to drive my Z to races. FWIW, my mate uses it on his 996.

My YouTubes

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
This is my ONLY concern indeed. Just want to make sure it sticks :)

They're vacuum cups, they're not suction cups. They ain't coming off. You could, of course, stick them in place and not vacuum the cups down, but that is user error tantamount to not locking down the skewers on the fork. You could screw up, but if you do you have no one to blame but yourself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They suck!
Quote Reply
Re: Seasucker [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can live with that :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had mine for over a year. I use it primarily in the winter to take my track bike to and from the velodrome in Milton. I drive a small car on the highway with lots of big trucks and all of the turbulence they generate. I have never had a problem with the rack. As long as you have a flat (i.e. no ridges) roof, I highly recommend it.

John
Quote Reply
Re: Seasucker [john.koch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Going to drive about 20hrs (twice) over the holidays, over I10...so hoping it's safe. Was actually planning on putting it on the back on the car (small suv)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't see that as being a problem. Check the indicators on the cups when you get gas or stop to eat and give them a few pumps if needed.

John
Quote Reply
Re: Seasucker [wsrobert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've used mine a fair bit as fast as 110 or so with 2 bikes + disc wheels coming back from PHX.
Used it for AeroCamp once eveto transport bikes to/from the velodrome.
Mounted the bikes across the back glass on the wagon one time to keep them out of the wind. Otherwise my first wagon got gallons to the miles, especially > 100mph

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had one for our two bikes before switching cars to an Outback with a hitch mounted rack. The Seasucker was solid on the highway in the Texas heat, though. I'd definitely recommend it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't often drive to a ride. So, I sold off my roof rack and moved to a sea sucker a year ago. I like that I can place the sea sucker on either one of my vehicles, a rental when I travel or a buddies vehicle (who also uses a sea sucker).

I haven't had any issues.

I keep a cloth and a water bottle with some water stored near the cups to minimize any hunting around before an installation.

I would recommend them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Used one for years - no issues even at MY speeds ;-)

Quote | Reply
You know you should ditch the family and drive with me. Better music, less stopping (no pee until E), no I'm hungry can we stop for lunch (No we can not, bring a f*cking snack) and the rule no one breaks a second time: after I pee then fill up the car if you're not back ready to go you get left behind.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Works great, pretty sure there are several threads about them in the past.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have one. Just used it this past weekend for the 300-ish mile drive up to Lake Placid from NYC.

Worked great, but on the way up I was glancing out the sunroof frequently/nervously to make sure it was still there. Didn't think twice about it on the way home. It was solidly stuck on when I arrived at either end and took the bike off. I was pushing 85-95 the whole time --made good time until I got clocked at 88 and pulled over.

Downslide is there's no lock. That wasn't really an issue for me, just meant I had to carry two sleeping 4 year olds + my bike from street parking back to my apartment at midnight when we got home. That sucked a bit.

Oh and I got it for a steep discount on that team discount site that used to be called Promotive but is now called Experticity (haven't checked the site since I bought the seasucker 2+ seasons ago so I can't fully vouch for them).

~~~~~~~~~
Empire Tri Coach
Team Gatorade Endurance
USATF Coach | NYRR Distance Pacer
Dad of twins
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My jacket's gonna be cut and slim and checked
Maybe a touch of seersucker, with an open neck
I ride a G.S. scooter with my hair cut neat
I wear my wartime coat in the wind and sleet

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recently got one as I got a new car. Previously I had a 4Runner with a trailer hitch bike rack, which I loved as it was easy to put on and take off and very sturdy. About a year ago I bought a Q7 but it did not have a trailer hitch. I thought about installing one but a proper install can be pricey. So I got the Sea Sucker instead. On the Q7 with my tri bike I can mount it on the roof or the back. Nothing is pulling that thing off. They recommend not going over 65 or 70mph (I believe) but I hit 80+ without any issues on my first usage.

It's super easy to install and remove. The only gripe I have is some cars may not have the right space to mount it. In other words if I put it on the roof, I put it on the "metal" space between the sunroof and the windshield. The back wheel is mounted to the second sunroof which does not open or move (the Q7 has a double sunroof and a 3rd over the 3rd row). That seems to work fine, but I wish I could move it a bit back on the roof. When I mount it to the back I have to actually put the front cups on the roof and the back cup(s) on just below the licence plate. Depending on your bike length, the cups may not be able to vacuum securely. That all said, I would recommend one to anyone that wants a rack that is secure, and super easy to use (I wanted to take mine off after every use), as long as it works for your car and bike length.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:

Quote Reply
Re: Seasucker [sebo2000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's an old thread. I put 3000mi into that seasucker since then and no issues at 80mph+.
Should have tried it yesterday out on the streets during Irma.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have two of these and echo all the other comments about them being great and reliable. I wanted to add to comments though:

You can purchase a locking system that allows you to run a cable through the bike frame(s) and then through a loop that attaches either to your car window or trunk. I have this and find it to be a great solution to the worry of leaving the bike on the car when running into a store or whatever.

Second, the Seasucker is super portable. when I travel, I pack the single bike mount in my luggage so that I can carry the bike easily on whatever rental car I have at my destination.

For these reasons along with the fact that my car does not do well with traditional permanently mounted racks I have been a very satisfied SS customer.

Jeffrey Sankoff, MD
TriDoc Coaching/TriDoc Podcast
Train hard, train healthy
http://www.tridocpodcast.com
http://www.tridoccoaching.com
Quote Reply
Re: Seasucker [sebo2000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sebo2000 wrote:
Francois wrote:

His seat is too high.

~~~~~~~~~
Empire Tri Coach
Team Gatorade Endurance
USATF Coach | NYRR Distance Pacer
Dad of twins
Quote Reply
Re: Seasucker [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brian,
I am thinking of getting the SS because the car I’m getting has exhaust pipes right in the middle where a hitch would normally be.

I am curious how the back wheel is secured when you have a disc wheel on there?
Quote Reply