Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New Wheels
Quote | Reply
Any reason you would tell a 5'2" female NOT to get 60/90 wheels? I'm on 30/50 now and I'm looking to upgrade and thought while I was at it I might go deeper.

thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: New Wheels [MtnBikerChk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe if you live in a constant hurricane?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94GbREy0hl0

No, wait. I got it - because I want a leg up on racing you!

That's crazy talk. If you are on 30/50 now then you can probably handle the 60/90s. I'm on 60/90 and do just fine - and I ride them constantly on the wind whipped coast. Sure, I get pushed around some, but if you know how to ride them it is fine.

Unless you weigh 75 pounds and will blow away?

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Re: New Wheels [SLOgoing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HEH That's awesome - thanks. I'm far from 75lbs ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If at all possible, I would try to test the wheels, as when changing a set of wheels you want to evaluate depth and wheel shape/manufacturer. For example, Enve is considered to have very predictable, well-handling wheels, so a 60/70 from them might have similar same handling as a 45/45 combo from another manufacturer (but the Enves have superior aerodynamics due to both wheel shape and depth).

I am a 5'4"/118 lb female, and I have ridden my new 55's Vison Metrons and boyfriend's 60/90 combo each a few times (on my XS Shiv). Personally, the 60/90 combo were fine when it was dead still out, but the second there was a little gust, I was fighting a bit. Similarly, there was a course I did that had a lot of turns (going through the a college campus on bike paths) and I hated how heavy the rear wheel was. I chose the Metrons because they had more predictable handling than say, the Boyds, both due to the shape and depth. Also keep in mind the courses you will be racing-Flo's (especially that 90) are on the heavier side of wheels, so it may get to you on hilly courses.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ride the deepest wheels you are comfortable on.
And not all deep wheels are created the same. Shape is more important then depth.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ideally two sets, for various conditions!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should run a solid disc wheel on the back.
Quote Reply