Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Equifax breach
Quote | Reply
Nothing on Equifax in the forum? Pretty surprising, 143 million affected, this could very well go down as the worst data breach to date. Already one class action suit has been filed seeking $70 billion. Equifax does not plan to notify those affected and are offering free monitoring for 12 months (if you say you won't sue). The FBI are now involved and several State AG's have already announced they are going after the company. This is a pretty big deal. Equifax has one job, collect data, keep it safe and judge trustworthiness. Seems they failed and now will be judged accordingly. Does the company survive? If ever a company deserved to be given a death penalty, Equifax is it.

And the fun part, 3 top executives sold millions in stock shortly after the breach was discovered. My guess is the SEC are looking into that one.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-09-07/equifax-says-cyber-intrusion-affected-143-million-customers

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-09-07/three-equifax-executives-sold-stock-before-revealing-cyber-hack

https://www.bloomberg.com/...llion-dollar-lawsuit

Quote Reply
Re: Equifax breach [jwbeuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And the premier service you are enrolled in for "free monitoring" auto renews after 12 month...at $19.95/month.

Fuck them. The executives involved should go to jail. The business of Data collection, storage, mining and sale thereof should be shut down if it cannot be protected - which it can't.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jwbeuk wrote:
Equifax has one job, collect data, keep it safe and judge trustworthiness.

Sounds like three jobs.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The time lag for notification is straight criminal. They knew about this a loong time, ago, but didn't notify "customers" to give us a fair shot at cancelling affected credit cards, etc. I've had 3 very weird instances of fraud on my credit cars around that timeframe, and spent a lot of time cleaning it up.

Yahoo did the same thing with a long lag between breach and notification. And Wells Fargo too - didn't notify customers about fraudulent account creation until after it went public.

If Congress wants to do something to make itself popular, it could pass a law imposing legal notification timeliness requirements under threat of criminal prosecution. Or give the Consumer Protection Bureau some actual power to drop a hammer on some of these companies.

I'm getting weary of it. I've been hit by every major breach (except Ashley Madison).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just checked and...ugh...it seems that I have made the "unlucky list".

I already had to replace my AMEX card after weird charges showed up on Amazon for movie and book services that I didn't order. No, instead of getting "free" service for something I can do on my own for free anyway, I will be first, or maybe second in line for the class-action lawsuit.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: Equifax breach [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SallyShortyPnts wrote:
No, instead of getting "free" service for something I can do on my own for free anyway,

Yeah, I already got the free service from my last breach. I'm going to need more this time.
Quote Reply
Re: Equifax breach [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They had to wait for the insiders to sell their stock first. Cocksuckers.

Quote | Reply
SallyShortyPnts wrote:

I already had to replace my AMEX card after weird charges showed up on Amazon for movie and book services that I didn't order. No, instead of getting "free" service for something I can do on my own for free anyway, I will be first, or maybe second in line for the class-action lawsuit.

I saw some things on twitter where a guy typed in 123456 and test and it said he had been affected...so they may just be taking precautions

This is clear criminal negligence on their part not to mention how they are now handling. Not sure they survive this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's one thing to have an account breach where you can leave the service. But these schmucks keep data on you even if you don't want them to.

Not only that, these assholes want to charge you to see your own data that you didn't want them to collect. It wasn't until a law was enacted that you could get one and only one 'free' report a year. If you want more than one, the prices are outrageous to see your own data.
Quote Reply
Re: Equifax breach [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If Congress wants to do something to make itself popular, it could pass a law imposing legal notification timeliness requirements under threat of criminal prosecution. Or give the Consumer Protection Bureau some actual power to drop a hammer on some of these companies.

It looks like the 3 credit companies gave about $1M in campaign donations in 2016. They are really an unregulated monopoly. If this was the government, at this point someone would say, "and people want the government to run our health care."

I had a cc canceled a few weeks ago. I thought it was strange that they gave no explanation other than it was compromised. Normally there's a bogus charge.

Quote Reply
Re: Equifax breach [FishyJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are so right. Furthermore if Equifax can't protect your sensitive date who can? Canadian and American gov'ts have been hacked for SIN numbers too. Maybe for sensitive stuff like this there should be isolated servers. The banks could send the info a clerk could manually input it in and fax a result back. But everyone is in such a damn rush to get stuff processed and save money by automating everything. Same with credit cards. When is the last time anyone turned you credit card over to see if your signature matched. We have PIN numbers for credit cards now but we allow people to bypass that by buying thousands of dollars of stuff online.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Equifax breach [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When is the last time anyone turned you credit card over to see if your signature matched.

I just got a new credit card and the place where you sign your name is dark gray. So I signed it but you can barely see my signature. Not that my signature on the card matches how I sign at a store anyway since I basically scribble one letter and then draw a line at the store.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
And the fun part, 3 top executives sold millions in stock shortly after the breach was discovered. My guess is the SEC are looking into that one.

Can't wait for more to come out on this. Pretty stupid on their part. I guess there is a chance as the company said they didn't know about the information but that seems like a stretch. I'm also guessing they are familiar with 10b5-1 and selling shares of the company they work for.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SallyShortyPnts wrote:

I don't think you understand how it works. They won't use your credit card which Equifax doesn't have, they'll open a new credit card, take out a mortgage, take out a loan not pay any of it and fuck your credit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One thing that's surprised me is how little coverage this has gotten on the news. Have we reached a point where data breaches are so common that they're no longer considered as noteworthy as the Patriots being upset in a football game?

What bothers me most in all this is now that they've allowed identity info to be compromised you have to monitor basically for the rest of your life--Equifax will offer one year free and then you have to pay. Want to lock your credit report? There's a fee for that. How much money will Equifax make from their negligence?

Seems to me that it's not inconceivable that within the next few years data breaches will have compromised identity info for every single American and we'll all be at high risk of identity theft.
Quote Reply
Re: Equifax breach [Ijustrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ijustrun wrote:
One thing that's surprised me is how little coverage this has gotten on the news. Have we reached a point where data breaches are so common that they're no longer considered as noteworthy as the Patriots being upset in a football game?

What bothers me most in all this is now that they've allowed identity info to be compromised you have to monitor basically for the rest of your life--Equifax will offer one year free and then you have to pay. Want to lock your credit report? There's a fee for that. How much money will Equifax make from their negligence?

Seems to me that it's not inconceivable that within the next few years data breaches will have compromised identity info for every single American and we'll all be at high risk of identity theft.

I think Equifax may be out of business soon. Also it is prudent to monitor your credit breach or no breach
Quote Reply
Re: Equifax breach [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
Ijustrun wrote:

I think Equifax may be out of business soon. Also it is prudent to monitor your credit breach or no breach

That may be worse. It would mean the other two companies have even more of an oligopoly.

These companies are scum. They make money off your data by selling it to other people, then sell your own data to you at an even higher price. All without any of your consent.
Quote Reply
Re: Equifax breach [FishyJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FishyJoe wrote:
windywave wrote:
Ijustrun wrote:

That may be worse. It would mean the other two companies have even more of an oligopoly.

These companies are scum. They make money off your data by selling it to other people, then sell your own data to you at an even higher price. All without any of your consent.
Welcome to the digital age; where the individual consumer IS the product. And you cannot opt out...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ijustrun wrote:
What bothers me most in all this is now that they've allowed identity info to be compromised you have to monitor basically for the rest of your life-

Item #2 on what Congress could do if they want to be popular: re-think the Social Security #. A plain text # that can't change for life is ancient technology that provides a soft target for criminals, and makes life miserable for marks. All we can do is put a credit lock on the # which hurts ourselves more than any one bad guy.

I'm think if we throw some modern technology at it, it becomes more of a fair fight. I'm thinking of a system where if a potential landlord or loan agent wants to check my credit, I use my Credit Agency X App and request a one-time # that's like a single-use credit card #. It's not the actual Social Security #, but a temporary digital ID linked to my SS#. On this app I then send it to the landlord/agent using their public key in a PKI system. As soon as they use it, that # becomes invalid. If they don't use it, it times out within X days. When someone uses it, I'm notified of who used it and why. Rather than that information being the property of one of a handful of private companies who then try to sell that information back to me.

Social Security #'s need to be under the owner's complete control by design, rather than passed around willy-nilly among myriad private companies.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ijustrun wrote:
Have we reached a point where data breaches are so common that they're no longer considered as noteworthy as the Patriots being upset in a football game?

You're right. We have. We've learned that not even the NSA can keep it's data. Banks can't. Credit agencies can't. Dating services can't. Governments can't.

But that's OK (or sort of OK) as long as the system is designed with that in mind. Which it can be. Right now, it's not. There's a long list of things I could list that might make it better, but #1 is like my post above: just make all the info very easy to make useless.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One thing that's surprised me is how little coverage this has gotten on the news.//

No kidding, you would think there was some major storm somewhere sucking up all the news cycle... But really, how much did we hear about that 8.1 quake? I mean those don't happen every day in populated areas, and without Irma it would have been in the news for at least 3 days instead of 5 minutes. Even Trump is getting pushed to the side, they squeeze in a few minutes here and there and then back to the same 5 second loop of the last hour or two of the hurricane. This is what the news channels wet dream about..

I saw on Facebook a link to see if you were hacked, but of course I stayed away from that. Pretty sure scammers are already out there collecting your info pretending they are the company. As I recall we should all be getting a letter soon if you were hacked and probably a free year or two of some service that looks out for your online presence. Just in time too, my last two year one from the last hack is about to run out!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jwbeuk wrote:

Drain the... oh wait, never mind wrong thread.
Quote Reply
Re: Equifax breach [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
One thing that's surprised me is how little coverage this has gotten on the news.//

No kidding, you would think there was some major storm somewhere sucking up all the news cycle... But really, how much did we hear about that 8.1 quake? I mean those don't happen every day in populated areas, and without Irma it would have been in the news for at least 3 days instead of 5 minutes. Even Trump is getting pushed to the side, they squeeze in a few minutes here and there and then back to the same 5 second loop of the last hour or two of the hurricane. This is what the news channels wet dream about..

I saw on Facebook a link to see if you were hacked, but of course I stayed away from that. Pretty sure scammers are already out there collecting your info pretending they are the company. As I recall we should all be getting a letter soon if you were hacked and probably a free year or two of some service that looks out for your online presence. Just in time too, my last two year one from the last hack is about to run out!!!

I should clarify...I didn't mean to imply that this is more important than the hurricanes, earthquake and other events that I agree deserve the airtime they're getting. I was making a comment that our stations have treated this as a "in other news..." soundbite that got less airtime than a football game and by the next day, no mention.
Quote Reply
Re: Equifax breach [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
Ijustrun wrote:

This is only a part of their business. They also do employment verifications, w2 processing/payroll and other payroll/hr. They have a lot more info then you think.
Quote Reply
Re: Equifax breach [schroeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One thing that bugs me is how cheaply politicians can be bought. 1 million is pocket change for these outfits it must have been spread around dozens of politicans. For that they get all sorts of influence.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply

Prev Next