Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Decent, affordable watch
Quote | Reply
Gentlemen of the LR, the one of you...

I'm in the market for a decent, but affordable watch. Nothing formal -- leather strap, timeless/classic look, clean & uncluttered, fairly minimalistic, solid quality for everyday & non-abused wear, budget of ~$300ish. I dress business casual and only need to wear a suit a couple of times a year, so pairing with standard business wear isn't a need. I know that's not a lot of budget in terms of high end watches, but should get me something far better than the basic Fossils, Skagens, etc. for something that's more utilitarian than passion, but I also don't want garbage. There's a Shinola outlet fairly close with plenty in that price range, but I've heard mixed reviews with their watches (although their leather goods are really nice); these are first quality, but a past season's design or color or overstock.

Any recommendations? I'm in no rush at all & can wait for seasonal sales.
Quote Reply
Re: Decent, affordable watch [MidwestRoadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you want a quartz watch, manual or automatic? I believe Hamilton and Seiko have watches iin your price range. Shinola seems overpriced for what you get. The affordable watches forum on watchuseek.com might be a good place to look for ideas. Watchrecon.com allows you to search on the variety of forums for pre-owned watches if you want to go in that direction Ultimately get what you like. Don't forget the n+1 equation, where n is the number of bikes you have also holds true for watches too
Quote Reply
Re: Decent, affordable watch [reutebh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also, the thetimebum.com had good reviews of affordables.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
~$300ish

I'm old and not up to speed with all the new sayings. I comprehend "ish" (though can't stand it). Also understand symbol for approximately. Is using them both a thing?

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: Decent, affordable watch [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know that it's a "thing" or not. I just use both together when I really want to emphasize a specific top end or ballpark top end price range. It kills me when I see someone ask for advice about a potential purchase, list a budget, then some eager enthusiast about that item comes in and makes suggestions that are 2-5 times the cost of the person's budget when something perfectly useful and satisfactory could be found within their budget. So ~ and "ish" together is my way of saying "No, around $300 is really all I want to spend on this, despite however gorgeous your favorite XYZ brand is at $1500 instead."

H- wrote:
Quote:
~$300ish

I'm old and not up to speed with all the new sayings. I comprehend "ish" (though can't stand it). Also understand symbol for approximately. Is using them both a thing?
Quote Reply
Re: Decent, affordable watch [reutebh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is a good question. I suppose it shows my lack of knowledge, because I assumed that an automatic was just out of my price range anyway at $300 and thought all manual watches were quartz and vice versa. Looks like I need to do a little bare bones research.

Thanks for the website suggestions. I'll check those out.

reutebh wrote:
Do you want a quartz watch, manual or automatic?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quickie definitions:
-automatic – watch winds by the movement of your wrist– Some will also manual wind- once fully wound when you take them off they will probably run somewhere around 40 hours before stopping.

-manual – you need to wind the watch and then it will run depending on the movement anywhere from 38 hours up to as many as 8+ days (Panerai for example has an eight day movement but this is getting way beyond your price range)

- quartz - these are battery-operated

If you aren't sure what you want to start by looking at some of the watches on http://www.longislandwatch.com - also remember that you don't have to buy the watch with the strap that you can buy the strap separately and if you were reasonably handy change it yourself. Most jewelry stores will do it for you for a reasonable fee too. I've had the watch man at my local Rolex store adjust couple of my bracelets- they have never charged me and offer me cookies each time. Strapcode.com gives you an idea of some of the strap options.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Tissot that would meet your criteria except the leather strap but that is easily fixable. It is automatic which is nice and has only hour, minute, second and the day number on it, I like simple watches. I think I paid about 500 Canadian for it so I wouldn't be surprised to see it cheaper in the US. It is going on 10 years of wear and still works well so I consider it money well spent.

Ben
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seiko SARB035 or SARB033. No question. Excellent both mechanically and aesthetically - probably the best value for money on a automatic watch. Look up the reviews on the various 'watch geek' forums.

https://www.amazon.com/...matic/dp/B001AE9XS0/

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MidwestRoadie wrote:

I'm in the market for a decent, but affordable watch. Nothing formal -- leather strap, timeless/classic look, clean & uncluttered, fairly minimalistic, solid quality for everyday & non-abused wear, budget of ~$300ish. I dress business casual and only need to wear a suit a couple of times a year, so pairing with standard business wear isn't a need. I know that's not a lot of budget in terms of high end watches, but should get me something far better than the basic Fossils, Skagens, etc. for something that's more utilitarian than passion, but I also don't want garbage. There's a Shinola outlet fairly close with plenty in that price range, but I've heard mixed reviews with their watches (although their leather goods are really nice); these are first quality, but a past season's design or color or overstock.

Citizen EcoDrive. Nothing better in that price range. Look on Amazon.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was set on buying new. Found enough info from various ST threads and others advice for buying used. Changed my mind. I like to browse https://davidsw.com/ that was recommended by someone on this forum. He replies fairly quick to emails.

EDIT: Sorry - I misread the original post. I thought the budget was $3000. So, in retrospect: http://www.jomashop.com

Gnothi Seauton.
Last edited by: Ready4Launch: Sep 5, 17 21:52
Quote Reply
Re: Decent, affordable watch [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2nd that. Best watch I have ever owned.

Quote | Reply
Check out the Garmin Vivomove Premium - got one a few months ago and absolutely love it. Looks great and I get complements on it all the time.

Quote | Reply
Love my Swiss Army Dive Master 500. Built like a tank (although not as big as a tank) and works well for professional and casual wear. Mine has the orange dial like in the example below but various colors are available if that's not your thing. Price range fluctuates around your $300, if memory serves I picked mine up for $325 4 years back.

https://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Swiss-241428-Master-Orange/dp/B004E4GRGO
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
have you considered a used "higher end" watch. I have been wearing a Tag Aquaracer for over a decade and it is an absolute workhorse. I have banged it hard on numerous occasion and barely shows a mark. I've never thought about selling outright, but on trade I was offered $400 a couple years ago and that was with box and paperwork. It was roughly $1400 new.
Quote Reply
Re: Decent, affordable watch [AutomaticJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AutomaticJack wrote:
MidwestRoadie wrote:

Citizen EcoDrive. Nothing better in that price range. Look on Amazon.
This^^^

I own this watch, for a stretch of a few years I wore it daily and it's held up wonderfully, and I swear I've gotten more compliments about that watch than anything I own.
Quote Reply
Re: Decent, affordable watch [saltman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where would be a good place to get a used Hamilton khaki automatic or a used Hamilton Jazzmaster? Nice watches could buy new but would rather buy used from reliable source.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Decent, affordable watch [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm sure there are online outlets. I live in Chicago so I can head over to reputable jewelers on Jewelers Row and peruse their inventory of trade-ins.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Someone above mentioned Seiko - they have several affordable ranges with very different looks, but they are typically very reliable. Quartz and automatics.

What appeals to you is personal. If you're not in a hurry, a good site to visit is Massdrop. They always have some watches on offer, and you can search the site for all watches they've ever offered, some of which are repeated fairly regularly. Lots of Seikos, but some other interesting watches, and loads at the $300 price point. Chronometers, field/military, diver, simple/classic styles, etc. Read the comments and you'll see which ones people rate as great deals and which are not much cheaper than Amazon. Watches not currently for sale, you'll have to read through the comments anyway and hopefully someone makes reference to it.

You say not formal so leather strap, but most very formal watches are leather. Metal bracelets were introduced for diving since leather doesn't do well in salt water, so originally considered a sport watch. Of course, the very formal straps are some endangered species and kind of ostentatious, but there are some really nice plain leather straps out there.

Brian

Gonna buy a fast car, put on my lead boots, take a long, long drive
I may end up spending all my money, but I'll still be alive
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My buddy has a wooden watch and it's really cool they're only about $100
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Take a look at Hamilton and Tissot. If you're willing to gray market your dollars go a lot farther but you get a third party warranty rather than a manufacturers warranty.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are plenty of watches in that price range that are nice looking and reliable. Best thing to do is narrow down your selection....mechanical (automatic), regular quartz, or quartz with self charging (Seiko kinetic/Citizen Ecodrive, etc, or solar). All have their advantages and drawbacks...although I would say on paper there are really no positives to buying a mechanical movement...you just have to want it. Then decide the style (dress watch, diver, pilot, etc) and what features you'd like...date, day, stopwatch, GMT, etc. Once you have that narrowed down you will probably find several manufacturers offering something comparable and you can shop on price and looks. I'd avoid any plated finishes (gold, black, etc) as these are thin in this price range and will quickly wear off. Any of the Japanese brands make high quality watches in that price range. Try to buy in person if possible - I've found it is hard to get the look and feel for a watch over the internet - a slight difference in weight or thickness can mean a lot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The citizen eco drive that has been mentioned a few times is a very nice watch in your range and criteria set. I really like mine.

I use a G-Shock mudmaster here in theater
I have a nice thin dress Seiko my wife got me that I wear with suites
The Eco drive is my semi-dress watch and goes perfectly with dress shirt and slacks with a coat thrown on where necessary.

/r

Steve
Quote Reply
Re: Decent, affordable watch [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
littlefoot wrote:
My buddy has a wooden watch and it's really cool they're only about $100

Ha! I bought a friend one of those. He is a carpenter. The brand was Woodie.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seiko "Monster"

Google it. I really like that watch.
Quote Reply

Prev Next