Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: post your favorite main sets please. (swimming) [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Short as opposed to long
Quote Reply
Re: post your favorite main sets please. (swimming) [JeffreyIThink] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My opinion is that there is a place for both. Some people like doing sets with like 5 secs rest on a set of 100's. I might do that as a challenge set on occasion, but generally I like to get enough rest that I can swim fast for all the key reps.

Eg 16 X 100 descending 1-4, I wanna make sure that numbers 4, 8, 12, and 16 are good quality. It's not too often that I'm getting less than 20 secs rest.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: post your favorite main sets please. (swimmers) [Tulkas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tulkas wrote:
Yeah, for all that work I was able to have someone talk the coach into letting me on the team (I even got a tiny scholarship), but my first year on the team I was a nobody. However, the work ethic paid off and I was a conference champ and D2 All-American by my second year and only got better from there. Tell the guy at the pool to keep it up, being part of an NCAA team was easily the best education I ever got at a school and was worth almost any cost.

Ya, I know this is an old post but since the thread has been resurrected, I was skimming through it and this post caught my eye. Great way to put it, Tulk: being part of an NCAA team is indeed worth almost any cost. :)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Last edited by: ericmulk: Jun 30, 16 10:35
Quote Reply
Re: post your favorite main sets please. (swimming) [FindinFreestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pull w/Buoy

1x50 on 1min
1x100 on 1:45
1x150 on 2:30
1x200 on 3:30
1x250 with 1 min break
1x200 on 3:30
1x150 on 2:30
1x100 on 1:45
1x50 on 1 min
Quote Reply
Re: post your favorite main sets please. (swimming) [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've only done this once but enjoyed the simplicity of it. Something to throw in the mix occasionally. Heard it on tower26. Hope I got it right but this is how I did it

w/u

20x25 fast. 10s rest
5 minute pull recovery
repeat 3x

c/d
Quote Reply
Re: post your favorite main sets please. (swimmers) [Zenmaster28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've done this set twice in the last couple weeks. Its tougher than it looks...those last 50s are killer! Thanks for posting, good way to get through 2,000 quickly
Quote Reply
Re: post your favorite main sets please. (swimmers) [TriNewbieZA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriNewbieZA wrote:
I've done this set twice in the last couple weeks. Its tougher than it looks...those last 50s are killer! Thanks for posting, good way to get through 2,000 quickly

Yup, it's a killer but it sure feels good to pull it off without losing pace at the end. More often than not my times in those last few start to slow down by 2-3s
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've really been digging 3x100y hard with short rest right into 200 pull. I'll do that 3 or 4 times through.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A few workouts that I do on a weekly basis. Definitly on the longer side, but they serve as good Ironman training both physically and mentally. Can obviously modify accordingly to make them shorter.

1. Distance Repeats
Goal is to keep everything long and strong with a steady Ironman swim pace; focus on form. Take about 30-45sec rest in between.

1 x 1000 swim
1 x 900 pull (paddles and buoy)
1 x 800 swim
1 x 700 pull (paddles and buoy)
1 x 600 swim
1 x 500 pull (paddles and buoy)
1 x 400 swim
1 x 300 pull (paddles and buoy)
1 x 200 swim
1 x 100 pull (paddles and buoy)

2. Up Tempo Repeats #1
Goal is to have the pulls be a strong pace (think 70.3/olympic effort) and then immediately go into sets of hard 100s swim with 5-10sec rest

1 x 500 pull (paddles and buoy)
5 x 100 swim - fast
1 x 400 pull (paddles and buoy)
4 x 100 swim - fast
3 x 100 swim - fast
1 x 200 pull (paddles and buoy)
2 x 100 swim - fast
1 x 100 swim - fast

3. Up Tempo Repeats #2
Again, the pulls should be strong (70.3/olympic effort) immediately into hard swims with 20-30sec rest and immediately into hard (think sprints) 50s with about 5sec rest.

1 x 400 pull (paddles and buoy)
2 x 200 swim - hard
4 x 50 swim - fast

2 x 150 swim - hard
4 x 50 swim - fast

1 x 200 pull (paddles and buoy)
2 x 100 swim - hard
4 x 50 swim - fast

2 x 50 swim - hard
4 x 50 swim - fast

4. Descending Distance / Ascending Speed

1 x 800 swim - easy distance
2 x 400 pull strong (paddles and buoy)
4 x 200 swim - hard descending (make #4, faster than #3, faster than #2, faster than #1)
8 x 100 pull strong (paddles and buoy) - make these with 5-10sec rest
16 x 50 swim - fast - break these into 4 sets of 4 where the interval goes something like 4@0:45, 4@0:40, 4@0:35, 4@0:40

Last edited by: mhoffman: Mar 1, 17 6:48
Quote Reply
Re: post your favorite main sets please. (swimming) [mhoffman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Try something like what the UT distance group does...
3x
300 Free (they hold 3:00 @ 3:30 scy, I shoot for under 3:30 scm @ 4:00)
8x50 @50 mile/1500 pace

3x
300 (as above)
4x50 @50 200 pace

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For us MOPers - Swim or Pull, any equip., and NF wherever you feel like it.
Broken 200s @3:00 done as:
150 @2:00 + 50 @1:00
150 @2:05 + 50 @:55
150 @2:10 + 50 @:50
150 @2:15 + 50 @:45
150 @2:20 + 50 @:40

Gets you 1000 per 15 minutes, repeat in reverse order (bottom to top) or swap right to left, 50s first followed by 100s. Clock management is simple but it keeps you thinking pace.

Lots of variations as it's easy to scale distance and how it's broken.
Quote Reply
Re: post your favorite main sets please. (swimming) [gregn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like really simple sets - otherwise I lose track and get confused. Here's what I've been doing a bit lately:

5 x 100 IM (25x25x25x25)
2 x (5x 200) free
10 x 100 (alternate free + form stroke)

All to time - whatever works for you.
Switch the order if you like. Its not high science but its a workout.

Add w/up & c/down with/without fins/paddles as suits.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
6x500

1st 100 relaxed pace
2nd 100 increase stroke distance(lower stroke count)
3rd 100 increased kicking rhythm
4th 100 T-pace
5th 100 all out speed

Recovery 1min between sets
Quote Reply
Re: post your favorite main sets please. (swimming) [Mike200fly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Similar, but different than this one. We did this in HS quite often and while it was challenging, it was good to keep you thinking and swimming at different efforts. We did it this using the old school rotating clocks and it was set up somehow to where it made sense on when to leave according to the clock, but can't remember how so maybe somebody can chime in to set me right. Set was:
30x100
100 on 1:30
100 on 1:29
100 on 1:28
all the way to 100 on 1:00

Our coach loved to do this set on meet days where he knew we would either completely crush the other team or they would crush us. He also loved to time it so our last 5-10 reps (all of the fast ones) were done just as the other team was getting to the pool. I guess he was trying to intimidate or give us an out depending on the situation.
Quote Reply
Re: post your favorite main sets please. (swimming) [chrishutch84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You did that on race days? Shit. Was your team a powerhouse? It's funny when I hear people talking about HS swim 'programs', and how different they were from my 5 day per week, 2500 yards per workout, no off season nor dry land training HS swim experience.

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: post your favorite main sets please. (swimming) [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Powerhouse? Not at all, but we had a great coach. And it was in Indiana where Boys and Girls Swimming is a huge sport. Our coach never put a whole lot of stock in dual meets, tri meets, or really anything other than Sectionals. We always just looked to swim as fast as we could then just to have a shot at making it to the State meet which was not an easy thing to qualify for. And yes, we did lots of dryland work too.

We also loved the Crazy 8's which after a few week into the season would start doing every Friday. 8x100 ALL OUT with 8 minutes rest. Goal being to beat your best 100 time on every rep. We raced each other on these in heats and it was a blast. Made the long Saturday practices suck though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
I thought I'd try to start a bit of a repository for good sets. I see a lot of good ones in the monthly ST swim club thread, but they easily get lost in there.

This is a friendly place to share your faves, either yours or others you see that you like the idea of. Not the whole workout, just the main set, and try to scale so it's easy to fit into a typical triathlete or masters workout, which is around 3000 m / yards total. So if the main set is between 1000 and 2000, that would be about right in my view.

I'll start with one we called "wheels" in college. still a favorite. this is the 1000 version, easy to scale up as desired.

4x250 as {
25 fly, 50 back, 75 br, 100 fr
25 back, 50 br, 75 fr, 100 fly
25 br, 50 fr, 75 fly, 100 back
25 fr, 50 fly, 75 back, 100 br
}

Just did this today; either I am a moron (distinct possibility) or it's harder than it seems to remember what set I am on and what's next. But it gave me plenty to think about while I was swimming!

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Broken "All Out" 200s

8 Rounds (6 minutes per round):
75 @Pace + 25 Recovery @1:45
50 @Pace + 25 Recovery @1:30
50 @Pace + 25 Recovery @1:30
25 @Pace + 25 Recovery @1:15

For this one you're trying to hold ~P200 for the fast swims, 1-3 seconds to get your split, then right into the EZ 25 active recovery. 8 rounds totals 2400 with 1600 of that @Pace. Intervals are generous enough to allow a wide range of ability in the same lane if you have multiple swimmers in the lane.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Set 1: 20x100 on 5 seconds rest or less. These are at a sustainable effort.

Set 2: 10x100 on 10 seconds rest fastest average. These need to be near the same time for all of them. If the variance from 1 to 10 is more than 5 seconds, your pacing was bad.

Set 3: 10x200. 4 on one interval, 3 -5 seconds, 3 -5 more seconds. You should be getting 15 seconds rest on the first set of 4.

Set 4: 3x800. First one paddles, buoy snorkel, second one snorkel, third one swim. Do these on ~1 minute rest.

http://www.savagesentiments.blogspot.com/
http://www.tricoachmartin.com/
https://www.facebook.com/teameverymanjack
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

3x1000 Descend with 2x100 drill in between.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any sets that would be good for a time-crunch lunchtime swim? Only have an hour, including showering/changing. I'm also a 2:00/2:10 swimmer.

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Re: post your favorite main sets please. (swimming) [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My lunchtime swim (when I have time to get one in) typically follows this pattern: I have about 45 minutes in the water.

600 warmup as 150 swim/drill, 150 kick, 150 pull, 150 swim / drill. That would take you about 15 minutes.

Main set - depends on my mood and what I want to do that day.

100 easy.

A nice main set that takes about 25 minutes for you and gives you a bit of aerobic work with a bit of speed

2 x 100 @2:40
2 x 75 @ 2:00
2 x 50 @ 1:30
2 x 25 @ :50

repeat the whole thing twice. second time do it in reverse.

You want to build the effort the first time through, steadily build the effort / get faster as the distance comes down. Then going back up try to maintain as much of the same speed as possible.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is gold. Thank you so much!

Quote Reply
Re: post your favorite main sets please. (swimming) [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Callin' wrote:
Any sets that would be good for a time-crunch lunchtime swim? Only have an hour, including showering/changing. I'm also a 2:00/2:10 swimmer.

Cut down your warm up and cool down a bit. For lunchtime swims I'll wear my jammers under my pants to the office. hilarious. Just don't forget clean underwear in your pool bag.

20 x 50m
--------------
500m easy to moderate to final 25 fast (~11 minutes)
Rest (~1 minute)
20 x 50m on (:80). (~27 minutes) (your interval might need to be :85, or you can cut down the reps)
Rest (~1 minute)
100m cool down (~3 minutes)
=1600m in 44 minutes.

50/50/50/50 ladder
--------------------------
50 Easy
50 HIM pace
50 Easy
50 Hard
Each time through the set, add 50 to the HIM pace interval. Got this workout from Tower26.

So, time breakdowns:
Set 1, 200m, ~5 minutes
Set 2, 250m, ~7 minutes
Set 3, 300m, ~9 minutes
Set 4, 350m, ~12 minutes
Set 5, 400m, ~15 minutes
=1500m, 48 minutes
Last edited by: reefblastbody: Aug 24, 17 9:42
Quote Reply
Re: post your favorite main sets please. (swimming) [reefblastbody] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like the idea of both of those workouts. Thanks for helping!

Quote Reply

Prev Next