Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
USS John S. McCain Collides With Merchant Ship
Quote | Reply
The U.S. Navy Arleigh Burke class guided missile destroyer USS John S. McCain (DDG-56) has apparently collided with a merchant vessel east of Singapore and the Strait of Malacca.

Initial reports say that the ship sustained damage to its aft port side and that search and rescue efforts are underway. The Navy warship is named after John S. McCain, Sr. and John S. McCain, Jr., both Navy admirals, and the grandfather and father, respectively, of the Arizona senator and 2008 Republican presidential nominee.

USS John S. McCain collides with merchant ship near Strait of Malacca > Commander, U.S. 7th Fleet > Display

The John S. McCain is of the same class of guided missile destroyer as the USS Fitzgerald (DDG-62), which itself collided with a merchant vessel on June 17th of the year.

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Post deleted by spudone [ In reply to ]
Re: USS John S. McCain Collides With Merchant Ship [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are China and NK taking out our guided middle ships one by one/is this coincidence or something more going on? Or is the timing foil hat on too tight?
Quote Reply
Re: USS John S. McCain Collides With Merchant Ship [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My merchant brothers on the sea say if it's big an gray stay away.
Quote Reply
Re: USS John S. McCain Collides With Merchant Ship [Constantine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Constantine wrote:

A destroyer is kind of little and gray. (Though I don't know how big this merchant ship was).
Quote Reply
Re: USS John S. McCain Collides With Merchant Ship [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
500' is big
Quote Reply
Re: USS John S. McCain Collides With Merchant Ship [Constantine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Constantine wrote:
500' is big

Kinda long, but not that massive. Mass wins. As the USS Fitzgerald figured out. (though the angle of attack had a lot to do with that).
Quote Reply
Re: USS John S. McCain Collides With Merchant Ship [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Constantine wrote:

A destroyer is kind of little and gray. (Though I don't know how big this merchant ship was).

In the Navy, destroyers are often known as 'small boys' and 'tin cans.' As you say, while 500' is fairly lengthy for what is actually a smallish man 'o war, its mass would be nowhere near that of the typical merchant vessel. Universal Law of Gross Tonnage would come into play in any collision.

In this case, the Navy ship sustained damage on its port side aft (along the rear areas of its left side), which is generally where you might see damage if the two ships that collided were steaming according to the right of way protocols at sea.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Reports are that 10 Sailors missing and 5 injured.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: USS John S. McCain Collides With Merchant Ship [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WTF, slowguy???

How can there be this much incompetence in command? Missing sailors is a euphemism for we haven't identified the dead bodies yet...

Should you be posting less and commanding more; seriously, how is this happening?

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: USS John S. McCain Collides With Merchant Ship [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SallyShortyPnts wrote:
WTF, slowguy???

How can there be this much incompetence in command? Missing sailors is a euphemism for we haven't identified the dead bodies yet...

Should you be posting less and commanding more; seriously, how is this happening?

Perhaps we could wait to find out what actually happened before deciding this was more incompetence.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No doubt there's tons more to learn about what went on, but has there ever been another time when two such similar incidents occurred so near in time to one another? If the Navy had one black eye, then this has to be like two black eyes and a bloody nose. A third after this, and it's like near decapitation!

Serious question though - what happens in the Navy at a high process level for these incidents? What I mean is, does the Navy do like a 90 minute response and stand down? I'm thinking of my employer's policy. For example, this past spring there was a death on an outage in the South. There was an immediate stand down and safety brief for all ongoing outages upon learning of the incident.

Anything like that?

Man oh man. I would not want to be a watch these days.

Gnothi Seauton.
Quote Reply
Re: USS John S. McCain Collides With Merchant Ship [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SallyShortyPnts wrote:
WTF, slowguy???

Well you won most inappropriate post of the week
Quote Reply
Re: USS John S. McCain Collides With Merchant Ship [Willi3ja] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Willi3ja wrote:
Are China and NK taking out our guided middle ships one by one/is this coincidence or something more going on? Or is the timing foil hat on too tight?

If it's flying a Filipino flag you may be on to something
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
Reports are that 10 Sailors missing and 5 injured.

This is horrible, horrible news. I can't believe the year the Navy is having, sir.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
SallyShortyPnts wrote:
WTF, slowguy???

Perhaps we could wait to find out what actually happened before deciding this was more incompetence.

TIMES TWO.

Quote Reply
Re: USS John S. McCain Collides With Merchant Ship [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
SallyShortyPnts wrote:
WTF, slowguy???

Well you won most inappropriate post of the week

X2 - Do you think it is appropriate to hold all Naval officers responsible for two mishaps? Attacking Slowguy is uncalled for and quite tacky.
Last edited by: rick_pcfl: Aug 20, 17 21:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am confused.
They make cars like the Tesla that can drive through traffic autonomously. And we have ships that cost $1.8 billion, are suppose to avoid missile attacks, but are running into merchant ships.

RIP to the fallen heros.
Quote Reply
Re: USS John S. McCain Collides With Merchant Ship [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well I took SSP's final comment there more as laudatory towards Slowguy's proven skills. i.e., He should be off ST and back out in the surface fleet commanding so as to prevent more of these occurrences! He's successfully commanded a surface combatant at the O5 level and even commanded as a commodore for a while. So I'm pretty sure SSP's is spot on with his/her comment.

As to the tinfoil hat thing--it would certainly be a asymmetrical way to get after one of the components of our layered air defense, and BMD, to take these class ships out in such a manner. Tom Clancy kind of stuff. So I doubt it.

/r

Steve
Quote Reply
Re: USS John S. McCain Collides With Merchant Ship [Steve Hawley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Steve Hawley wrote:
Well I took SSP's final comment there more as laudatory towards Slowguy's proven skills. i.e., He should be off ST and back out in the surface fleet commanding so as to prevent more of these occurrences! He's successfully commanded a surface combatant at the O5 level and even commanded as a commodore for a while. So I'm pretty sure SSP's is spot on with his/her comment.

As to the tinfoil hat thing--it would certainly be a asymmetrical way to get after one of the components of our layered air defense, and BMD, to take these class ships out in such a manner. Tom Clancy kind of stuff. So I doubt it.

/r

I can appreciate you giving someone the benefit of the doubt. I saw one line about incompetency in the Navy, and then the other telling him that he should be posting less and working more. Taken together, they didn't seem to be laudatory.
Quote Reply
Re: USS John S. McCain Collides With Merchant Ship [getcereal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
getcereal wrote:
I am confused.
They make cars like the Tesla that can drive through traffic autonomously. And we have ships that cost $1.8 billion, are suppose to avoid missile attacks, but are running into merchant ships.

Both can fail given a proper injection of incompetence.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Constantine wrote:

Been a merchant marine for quite a few years, never heard it. Regulations apply to all, screw ups happens to anybody.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by spudone [ In reply to ]
Re: USS John S. McCain Collides With Merchant Ship [softrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What this means is navy ships changing course during manuvers,like the JSM nightime.
Quote Reply
Re: USS John S. McCain Collides With Merchant Ship [getcereal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
getcereal wrote:
I am confused.

RIP to the fallen heros.

and people think planes are going to fly themselves.

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ
we're doomed
Quote Reply

Prev Next