Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Roka Swimwear & Gear Durability
Quote | Reply
Curious if anybody else has had experience with Roka gear. My silicon fins haven't really lasted the test of time. What kind of lifespan should I expect from gear like this? After roughly 18 months these are pretty much trashed (See below)

I rinse and wash them after each use, usually just soap and water and store them in my swim bag afterwards.

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Last edited by: PushThePace: Aug 12, 17 8:24
Quote Reply
Re: Roka Swimwear & Gear Durability [PushThePace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PushThePace wrote:
Curious if anybody else has had experience with Roka gear. My silicon fins haven't really lasted the test of time. What kind of lifespan should I expect from gear like this? After roughly 18 months these are pretty much trashed (See below)

I rinse and wash them after each use, usually just soap and water and store them in my swim bag afterwards.

I have these Speedo Fins from 2010 that are still usable but don't use them all that often. I think fins are just something easy to trash. Probably depends slightly on how tight of a fit the fins are or not. Once a year replacement of fins doesn't seem crazy to me. I try to use the fins at the pool as often as I can because I know chlorine destroys everything and it is one less thing to carry everyday.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Roka Swimwear & Gear Durability [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
do you walk in them much? or on/off in water only
Last edited by: spntrxi: Aug 12, 17 11:44
Quote Reply
Re: Roka Swimwear & Gear Durability [spntrxi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you store your swim bag in your car? Just a guess, but that could subject your fins to extremes of hot and cold.

Sharon McN
@IronCharo
#TeamZoot
Clif Bar Pace Team 2003-2018
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PushThePace wrote:

Yeah that's shit, I'd be letting Roka know. Most peeps in my squad swim with el cheapo finis fins which are great. Mine are 8 years old and I squad swim 3 times a week. They are rubber, yours are silicon? Would that make a diffence?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've tried a few different brands of swim fins and none have lasted longer than a year. I swim about 15,000 yards a week and maybe 5,000 of those with the fins. That said, I've never tried Roka's fins. Maybe e-mail them and ask about the expected product life? I know someone whose fins (unknown brand) have lasted over ten years of consistent use, but I feel like it's difficult to compare to newer fins given the change in materials/production since then.

Then again this is just my take on something I know nothing about.
Quote Reply
Re: Roka Swimwear & Gear Durability [spntrxi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've never walked in my fins on deck. I've only used them in the pool and always put them on while in the water personally.

------
Quote Reply
Re: Roka Swimwear & Gear Durability [SharonMcN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't have to drive to the pool I have a 25M pool in my condo I use. My bag is in my condo in an open area. I also have a Speedo gear bag that has open mesh pocket so they aren't staying anywhere where they "suffocate" and stew in any access moisture.

------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are in the market for a new set of fins, take a look at http://www.dmcswim.com/dmc-warrior-fins! I love mine and use them all the time :-D!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PushThePace wrote:

ROKA very likely sources these fins from somewhere in Asia and then slap on their logo.

Given that these look extremely similar to other no-name brands ($15-25) out there, I think you get what you pay for in a mass-produced, low QC environment.

From ROKA you might get a replacement, since you payed more for the logo, that they now have to protect.
Quote Reply
Re: Roka Swimwear & Gear Durability [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the replies and contributions to this thread. I'm going to reach out and see if they have any data on the expected longevity of these.

------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use the googles, sim shots, swim wear.....googles for me last similar to TYR but there anti fog last longer then TYR (granted i have not use TYR for last 2 yrs so could be better now), sim shorts i don't use a lot and they still look like new. Swim Jammers i have been in since Feb and still going strong (i swim 10k per week).

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Last edited by: BBLOEHR: Aug 14, 17 9:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i have had Finis Zoomers for over 4 years and they are in perfect shape. i have never rinsed them, they sit in my trunk when not being used, which is in the East SF bay so extreme heat.

https://www.cdn-outlet.com/photos/options/3568-206-1A-zoomin.jpg
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not fins....but, I've had issues with R1 goggles, recently (leaking - 3 different pairs).
Last edited by: nc452010: Aug 14, 17 9:10
Quote Reply
Re: Roka Swimwear & Gear Durability [BBLOEHR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been an avid customer. I own the Sim Shorts, every model of goggle, run shorts, singlet, wetsuit, paddles, pull buoy, swim cap, etc. I've never had any issues with any other piece of equipment that they make and I consider it top notch! I just hadn't owned fins for long before these ones (last pair were Finis Positive Drive) so I didn't have much in the way of comparison for durability.

I am not a swimmer, that much is obvious so I'm not doing crazy distance annually (169k up until this point in 2017) and of course only a fraction of that is with fins.

------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Same here. I own almost everything Roka makes. No issues with any Roka gear.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd just ask if they'd replace them. That's pretty short.
One question: do you push off the wall by flexing the fin back? (e.g. pushing off on the bent fin?) I've done that before and it could be hard on fins. Looks like a simple material failure and I wouldn't expect this to be any reflection on their other products.
Quote Reply
Re: Roka Swimwear & Gear Durability [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:
PushThePace wrote:

ROKA very likely sources these fins from somewhere in Asia and then slap on their logo.

Given that these look extremely similar to other no-name brands ($15-25) out there, I think you get what you pay for in a mass-produced, low QC environment.

From ROKA you might get a replacement, since you payed more for the logo, that they now have to protect.

They look exactly like my Speedo fins....

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I was a big supporter of their brand and mission until I owned a Maverick Pro. I used the wetsuit a mere 6 times and it developed a rip in the leg. I have had a blue seventy and a nineteen wetsuit for 3 and 5 years respectively without ever having a rip. I brought it up with customer service and they said it was my fault. I was astonished that they would blame me when I had taken all of the appropriate precautions and had never ripped any other wetsuit. A wetsuit that rips after 6 uses is pretty suspect, but yet I was blamed for it. I love the wetsuit for its speed, but I can't afford to replace a wetsuit after every 6 swims.

Team Zoot 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Roka Swimwear & Gear Durability [nc452010] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yup-all of ours lasted about 3 OWS! Sent 1 pair back - they replaced it. If you look at the gasket at the inside near the nose you'll probably see how it has turned down so it can't possibly seal. Check it out. I think they know it's a problem-can't beleive they haven't fixed it yet.
Quote Reply
Re: Roka Swimwear & Gear Durability [frenchfried] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In fairness, their CX rep contacted ME re; my issues (I had already mailed the goggles back to them). They're replacing with another series and even refunded me the difference in price.

I don't know what else they could do. If these work, they've retained a customer. The CX experience was really good.
Quote Reply
Re: Roka Swimwear & Gear Durability [nc452010] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's great to hear. They've been known for their customer service-I just don't understand why they have not corrected the problem-that's all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PushThePace,

Sorry, I've been off ST for a bit and am only now seeing this thread today. If you haven't sent these fins back yet, please do so and we'll swap em out. You can email support@roka.com and reference this thread, and we'll get you sorted. We haven't seen that problem in any volume so not sure what's up, but in any case we're happy to replace.

Best,
Rob

---
rob canales
ceo + co-founder at ROKA
http://www.roka.com
Quote Reply
Re: Roka Swimwear & Gear Durability [ROKA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rob thanks for following up and prompting me to also post the resolution. Your customer care team took great care of me and everything has been sorted out. You guys are really making it hard on the competition setting such high expectations for customer support.

Thanks again for the personal reachout and for continuing to innovate in the space!

------
Last edited by: PushThePace: Sep 21, 17 15:11
Quote Reply

Prev Next