Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

BB standard for Scott Plasma Premium frame
Quote | Reply
what is it? anybody know? for CERTAIN? (no guesses please!) thanks in advance.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: BB standard for Scott Plasma Premium frame [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BB86

Trent Nix
Owned and operated Tri Shop
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Quote Reply
Re: BB standard for Scott Plasma Premium frame [trentnix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ah. yeah. i should've just come to you first. i've got a PF30 BB and a crank for it (SRAM 1x rival) and i'm guessing i'll be using that crank/bb on something else. what would you put into this frame? it's going to be a 1x, and i have a separate 1x narrow/wide CR for it, so the BB + crank must fit that bolt pattern which i am assuming is 110bdc.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haven't done a 1x build with these, so I'm not going to be a very useful resource there. Something GXP. :)

Trent Nix
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Quote Reply
Re: BB standard for Scott Plasma Premium frame [trentnix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
so this thing here's going to go in there?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think so but I'm not a BB expert for sure. I've asked someone to chime in that knows his stuff when it comes to the Plasma 5.

Trent Nix
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
ah. yeah. i should've just come to you first. i've got a PF30 BB and a crank for it (SRAM 1x rival) and i'm guessing i'll be using that crank/bb on something else. what would you put into this frame? it's going to be a 1x, and i have a separate 1x narrow/wide CR for it, so the BB + crank must fit that bolt pattern which i am assuming is 110bdc.

Your crank needs to have a spindle long enough to work, There is a Force1 crank that has a BB386 compatible 30mm spindle, but not sure if the Rival1 that you have does (is it this one?). The other thing you'll need is a PF4130 BB (41 for the frame 30 for the spindle), and there's a number of those out there. I like the Ceramicspeed version, and Kogel makes one as well. Wheels manufacturing has a good budget version.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Plasma 5 team issue. Its a GXP BB. The picture of the BB is the correct, but the only the outside cups are pressed into the frame.
Quote Reply
Re: BB standard for Scott Plasma Premium frame [Conky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Conky wrote:
I have a Plasma 5 team issue. Its a GXP BB. The picture of the BB is the correct, but the only the outside cups are pressed into the frame.

It's a GXP BB if you're running a GXP spindle crankset - such as in your case. If you want to use Shimano or Rotor 3D, you'll need a PFBB for the BB86 with a 24mm diameter. For a 30mm spindle crankset (which sounds like is what dan has) then the GXP BB is not going to work. Also, if on your personal bike, you don't have the center sleeve installed, and you're running Di2, you'll want to have that part of it, it's supposed to have it whether or not you've got the Di2 or mechanical build, but the Di2 wires can get frayed by the spindle if there's nothing to protect them.
Last edited by: AndresLD: Aug 13, 17 18:00
Quote Reply
Re: BB standard for Scott Plasma Premium frame [AndresLD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AndresLD wrote:
Conky wrote:

It's a GXP BB if you're running a GXP spindle crankset - such as in your case. If you want to use Shimano or Rotor 3D, you'll need a PFBB for the BB86 with a 24mm diameter. For a 30mm spindle crankset (which sounds like is what dan has) then the GXP BB is not going to work. Also, if on your personal bike, you don't have the center sleeve installed, and you're running Di2, you'll want to have that part of it, it's supposed to have it whether or not you've got the Di2 or mechanical build, but the Di2 wires can get frayed by the spindle if there's nothing to protect them.

this is going to be mechanical. it's a mechanical 1x. my thought is just to buy a new SRAM GXP BB and then a corresponding crank to go with

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just built a Scott Foil Preium 1x. Did SRAM DZERO GXP and Wheels Mfg BB86 threaded cups. Wheels Mfg makes a BB30 option to fit into the BB86. Its interesting. I asked them which way to go (I hadn't purchased a crank at that time) and they didn't seem to really promote that BB30/86 version over their threaded cups so went w GXP crank.

What I looked at: http://wheelsmfg.com/...-sealed-bearing.html
What I bought: http://wheelsmfg.com/...am-cranks-black.html

Slowman wrote:
AndresLD wrote:
Conky wrote:

this is going to be mechanical. it's a mechanical 1x. my thought is just to buy a new SRAM GXP BB and then a corresponding crank to go with
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Then the GXP BB86 bottom bracket from sram will do the trick. Like you had pictured in one of the posts above.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
so this thing here's going to go in there?

That's the BB for the GXP spindle for sure. Honestly that's going to be one of the more reliable options. The 30mm spindle options for a BB86 shell look like super small bearings.

I think the recommendation ultimately would be to get the GXP crank (you may be able to pick up just the "chassis") and the BB86 setup.

The PF30 crank that you have now doesn't have a spindle long enough to make it all the way through the frame, so either way you're going to need a new crank (or chassis). I know that SRAM has begun to offer a BB386 spindle on some of it's cranks to work with the growing number of bikes running this standard.

I'm currently running a GXP Quarq with this BB and it works great.
Quote Reply