Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Best places to train around the world.
Quote | Reply
Hello All,

What are the best places around the world to live and train for triathlon? From 1 week to 3 months.
Quote Reply
Re: Best places to train around the world. [ThibautFe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I lived in boulder for a year - thats pretty popular

I just moved to Provence - 30 mins in from Cannes at 270m.

Out my door in 4.5 miles i get to 600m. No traffic.

In 64km i could get 2k m of elevation

I have a 50m out door pool 5 mins from the house.

I can trail run

The only downside is mosquitos, but given the number of professional cyclists that live in relative close proximity i think i have picked the best place

N.b. our move was not driven by aspirations of professional like training but by quality of life during our mid-life-crisis gap year
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All the dopers train in Girona. Sooo.
I'd go there. ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Best places to train around the world. [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I spent a week in Nice; was amazing and got to see the Sky boys on their local loops
Its very hilly though - you can see what its Mecca for Pro road riders. Not sure about Triathlon?
Are there any flatter sections for a Tri bike?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Heidelberg
Quote Reply
Re: Best places to train around the world. [bespoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cannes - mougins - moans sartoux up to peymeinade then rolling out to lac st casien in the var is flat to rolling

Climbs from nice are epic. Cols; vence, eze, ecre, brouis, escargoles (spelling), to sospel. The riding is just beautiful and all year round is doable
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In the U.S. I'd say Boulder or Colorado Springs in the summer and Clermont Florida in the Winter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
I lived in boulder for a year - thats pretty popular

I just moved to Provence - 30 mins in from Cannes at 270m.

Out my door in 4.5 miles i get to 600m. No traffic.

In 64km i could get 2k m of elevation

I have a 50m out door pool 5 mins from the house.

I can trail run

The only downside is mosquitos, but given the number of professional cyclists that live in relative close proximity i think i have picked the best place

N.b. our move was not driven by aspirations of professional like training but by quality of life during our mid-life-crisis gap year

This for the win.

Can we close this thread now?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In the US, there are four areas that seem to be recommended: around Tucson, az, around boulder, co, around san Diego, ca and around san Francisco specificly in Marin county north of sf. i would add new England and northern New York in the summers.

2018 Races: IM Santa Rosa, Vineman Monte Rio, Lake Tahoe 70.3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My reckons - Byron Bay.

Tim Reed is based there, and it doesn't seem to do him any harm. Beautiful warm (but not hot) days, even in winter, excellent roads and trails, fresh open water, a good pool, and stunning beauty. It's a relaxed town unlike any other, and about two hours from Brisbane Airport.

You could also do Noosa or Wollongong, but they're just not quite as nice to live in, in my opinion.

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Quote Reply
Re: Best places to train around the world. [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kenya seems to work well for Mo Farah
Quote Reply
Re: Best places to train around the world. [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its obvious its not necessary to move to be fast. There are many fast people in the cold white north, urban environments and other areas not naturally suited for training

We could have gone almost anywhere for the move. Certainly anywhere in europe.

I wanted my kids to have access to; good schools, swimming, skiing, being outdoors and i wanted to ride a bike outside after 7.5 years indoors

Friends who grew up in CO have told me the urban environment in the front range has changed with increased traffic in last 15 years.

Boulder was amazing when i lived there for all the same reasons i find provence amazing

I suspect if i was more familiar with the areas, como, garda and northern italy would be great but not year round. Same for annecy.

The Med offers it all the time
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrew - am fascinated by this
I have left UK and we are spending a year in Dordogne as we have family here and know the area well
The aim is we use this year to get used to Europe living for a year and then we strike out on our own next year after having better researched the other regions
Currently looking at Nice; Girona, San Sebastian, Annecy and Mallorca

What are the Nice area schools like?
Quote Reply
Re: Best places to train around the world. [bespoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We are not in Nice. We are in Grasse.

There is the international school in mougins or sophia which is very 90210 - daddys 200 foot yacht is in antibes harbour

We have fenlon which is one of the best schools in france. Fee paying, but fees are literally a gesture. Not like public schools in UK

Our kids are 3 and 1. At present 3 year old is down to attend local public school in sept whilst i sort some things out.

Originally i wanted an apartment in Nice but my wife wasnt having any of it and she wanted a garden.

Our choice was much better, house, edge or national park, good schools,great outdoor activities etc

I was also certain i wanted to be in france. I did not want to be in annecy. I have an apt in chamonix and annecy is not a year round cycling venue. You can but the alps in the spring can be very wet and in winter very cold

I am 45 mins nearest skiing, 2 hours from proper skiing, 4 hours from big big skiing and i can mostly ride outside all the time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all answers! Do you reckon any places in Italy?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Phuket with the Zack Attack!

My race site: https://racesandplaces.wixsite.com/racesandplaces
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am certain there are people much faster than me training in far worse environments.

I think there are places in every country; my parents live in the south downs nat park. Theres the peak but with both you have english weather

My issues with spain and italy were primarily real estate risk related (aside from the fact i wanted to live in france)

Climate wise almost anywhere geographically south of turin on the coast might have ticked the box - probably the amalfi or finale have great riding - no idea about pools

I also know nothing about the italian education system where as here i have simply through luck some really good connections

I guess it depends what you want, are you going to work? Age of kids? Whats your priorities? Etc
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all your reply. The reason why I am asking all this is because I want to take a year "off" and dedicate myself to triathlon for a year. I just love it and want to enjoy it. I am 29y old, no kids and a little money. I come from the south of France actually, so I know it is a great place to train. But I'd like to spend a year somewhere else in Europe. Use that city as a base and then travel for races around for 70.3 races. My only req are
- A pool
- A Gym
- Good quiet roads
- Not too far from an airport
- Cheap cost of living and rent. We all know triathlon is an expensive sport and I wouldn't want to spend it all on rent. I currently live in London and I know what expensive cost of living means. I am done with that.

Thanks All!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
New Paltz, New York.

Spring, Summer and early Fall.

Ron W.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where in the south?

I'd go italy or spain then. Girona is obvious choice in spain - good coffee

Italy - no idea, tuscany?
Quote Reply
Re: Best places to train around the world. [rjsurfer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rjsurfer wrote:
New Paltz, New York.

Spring, Summer and early Fall.

Ron W.
Very interesting. What do you like about New Paltz? Wondering if it's worth a weekend trip up!
Quote Reply
Re: Best places to train around the world. [JonathanNYC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great bike rides....Plenty of serious hills.

Running the Rail Trail can't be beat, perfect for long runs. Shaded the entire length (20 miles) with hard dirt/gravel surface.

An ok town pool plus one private.

Afterwords try the Gilded Otter for good brews and food.

Ron W.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Adelaide Australia a hidden cycling gem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Which tail trail are you referring to and where can I park? Thanks!
Last edited by: AnnRB: Aug 13, 17 17:30
Quote Reply
Re: Best places to train around the world. [AnnRB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AnnRB wrote:
Which tail trail are you referring to and where can I park? Thanks!

It's called the Walkill River Rail Trail, bring up New Paltz in Google Maps and keep expanding the map untill you see a brown dotted line running through town. Numerous places to park all along the trail, stop in one one of the downtown bike shops for more info.

Avoid the trail after a rainstorm, stay on the trail, poison ivy lurks along the sides.

Ron W.
Last edited by: rjsurfer: Aug 14, 17 5:46
Quote Reply

Prev Next