Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Would you rather consume 100 cals of carbs or 100 cals from fat
Quote | Reply
First part of the question is in the title regardless of fat type?

Second part of the question; Does your answer change if the fat type is unsaturated vs saturated fat?

Assume for this, carb source is fairly refined sugar such as in soda, white bread, in energy/granola bars, juices or high glycemic fruits. The type of things most people end up snacking on. Exclude fairly complex carbos (ex from low glycemic vegetables) for your answer, mainly because these are not readily accessible snacks for most people except for the most organized amongst us.

Also assume this is not during exercise and also you can assume that it is early enough in the day that what you eat early in the day may or may not affect your total calorie gain/deficit over the day (ie gain or lose weight).
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Aug 12, 17 11:34
Quote Reply
Re: Would you rather consume 100 cals of carbs or 100 cals from fat [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is this a real question :)
carbs.
Quote Reply
Re: Would you rather consume 100 cals of carbs or 100 cals from fat [Pat0] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pat0 wrote:
carbs.

Definitely a real question. Why do you prefer 100 cals from carbs over fat
Quote Reply
Re: Would you rather consume 100 cals of carbs or 100 cals from fat [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Pat0 wrote:
carbs.

Like so many things, it depends on the situation. As an anti hunger snack with no intense workout on the horizon then fat ....perhaps almonds or walnuts. As fuel during an intense workout or immediately after an intense workout then carbs.

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So for fats would something like avocado + eggs count?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can I assume a caloric deficit for the day?

If so........my answer is.....it doesn't matter :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It really depends. Right now, I'm trying to shed weight, so I'd take the 100 fat calories. But if I needed to produce energy to train or race, I'd much rather get it from the carbs.
Quote Reply
Re: Would you rather consume 100 cals of carbs or 100 cals from fat [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sciguy wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
Pat0 wrote:
carbs.

Like so many things, it depends on the situation. As an anti hunger snack with no intense workout on the horizon then fat ....perhaps almonds or walnuts. As fuel during an intense workout or immediately after an intense workout then carbs.

Hugh

I edited my question to assume it is not during exercise. Would you consider loading up on a fat oriented snack before a hard or long workout or after assuming for a second that you only care about pushing your body in the workout (regardless of pace/wattage optimization as you might in racing), but you don't care about the optimal performance in the workout?
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Aug 12, 17 11:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
First part of the question is in the title regardless of fat type?
Second part of the question; Does your answer change if the fat type is unsaturated vs saturated fat?
Assume for this, carb source is fairly refined sugar such as in soda, white bread, in energy/granola bars, juices or high glycemic fruits. The type of things most people end up snacking on. Exclude fairly complex carbos (ex from low glycemic vegetables) for your answer, mainly because these are not readily accessible snacks for most people except for the most organized amongst us.

This would depend on the situation. If after a workout, then 100 cal of sugar like say 8 oz of defizzed Coke or Mtn Dew; actually, it might be 20 oz of defizzed Dew or Coke all at one chug. :) If first thing in the morning, then half fat and half carbs/protein. Not sure i have ever had 100 cal of fat all by itself; this would be like having a tablespoon of real mayo by itself. I eat mayo regularly but always on a sandwich with carbs and protein. If i'm out of bread, then might have mayo on salami and cheese sans bread. Answers would not change based on type of fat.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Would you rather consume 100 cals of carbs or 100 cals from fat [nc452010] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nc452010 wrote:
Can I assume a caloric deficit for the day?

If so........my answer is.....it doesn't matter :)

Sure, assume a caloric deficit for the day. Now assume through the day, for your non protein calories and non complex carbs for the day, for every 100 cals you take in you have choice of the refined carbs or fats. Which would you take to get to your desired deficit?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No love for protein?

Fat. Doesn't matter what type.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Last edited by: Dr. Tigerchik: Aug 12, 17 16:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Liquor.
Quote Reply
Re: Would you rather consume 100 cals of carbs or 100 cals from fat [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
No love for protein?

Fat. Doesn't matter what type.

The question here assumes you're already getting your protein content for the day.
Quote Reply
Re: Would you rather consume 100 cals of carbs or 100 cals from fat [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B.McMaster wrote:
Liquor.

That would be "highly refined carbs"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fat.

Natural, animal or plant based. No industrial oils.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I was an Eskimo (which I am not) that would be an easy answer.

Can I do 50/50? or 25/75?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Definitely fat over carbs since fat has far less of an impact on insulin, and insulin makes you fat.

The fat has to be natural though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Pat0 wrote:
carbs.

Taste.
And as the other guy stated, I wouldn't normally eat 100 cals of pure fat. I would eat it with protein/carbs.
Quote Reply
Re: Would you rather consume 100 cals of carbs or 100 cals from fat [Pat0] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pat0 wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
Pat0 wrote:
carbs.

Taste.
And as the other guy stated, I wouldn't normally eat 100 cals of pure fat. I would eat it with protein/carbs.

OK, in that case let's say you are going to consume 100 cals protein, 100 cals complex carbs and 100 cals of something else all at the same time. Those last 100 cals of something else, what you put in your salad or sandwich...where will they come from? Basically trying to get at whether you will trend your overall diet more to fat centric than sugar centric
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Aug 12, 17 19:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Pat0 wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
Pat0 wrote:
carbs.

Taste.

OK, in that case let's say you are going to consume 100 cals protein, 100 grams complex carbs and 100 grams of something else all at the same time. Those last 100 grams of something else, what you put in your salad or sandwich...where will they come from? Basically trying to get at whether you will trend your overall diet more to fat centric than sugar centric

Question: in the above, do you mean 100 cal of each??? Seems you're mixing your grams and calories.

Quote Reply
Re: Would you rather consume 100 cals of carbs or 100 cals from fat [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will edit. I meant cals, not grams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Pat0 wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
Pat0 wrote:
carbs.

Taste.

OK, in that case let's say you are going to consume 100 cals protein, 100 cals complex carbs and 100 cals of something else all at the same time. Those last 100 cals of something else, what you put in your salad or sandwich...where will they come from? Basically trying to get at whether you will trend your overall diet more to fat centric than sugar centric

Thanks for clarifying. In this case, I think I'd opt for 100 cal of fat, just to slow absorption of the carbs and protein.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Both?

I don't understand why it has to be one or the other? Most foods have some of each. Almonds have some carbs. White bread has some protein.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So if I have a choice between sugar and a piece of fat cut off a steak, I'm taking the fat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
sciguy wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
Pat0 wrote:
carbs.

Hugh

I edited my question to assume it is not during exercise. Would you consider loading up on a fat oriented snack before a hard or long workout or after assuming for a second that you only care about pushing your body in the workout (regardless of pace/wattage optimization as you might in racing), but you don't care about the optimal performance in the workout?

If before workout (regardless of intensity), simple carbs are 'easier' to digest than simple fats.
Just for the convenience and feel good factor, I'd go with carbs....Buzz

Now, if we are talking dinnertime, I'd chose fats...for the feel-good factor....zzzzzz
Quote Reply

Prev Next