Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Recommended foods to eat days and day before IM
Quote | Reply
I generally eat carb heavy stuff, like pasta and bread with some protein and fat, eat minimal fruits and vegetables in days leading up to an IM. Morning of I usually have a cup of coffee and a bagel and a cliff bar and some water. Just wondering what others eat. This has worked well for me, but I don't have a coach so just looking for suggestions.
Thanks,
Quote Reply
Re: Recommended foods to eat days and day before IM [MacCTD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Low fiber the day before the race. I go with Spaghetti with meat sauce.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am fairly new to the game, but I, personally, have a hard time with a large amount of pasta the night before. I think it's a gluten overload thing, but not sure. During the day before, I usually have some eggs, bacon and toast for breakfast, sandwich for lunch. The night before, I usually eat some sort of chicken - bbq, roasted, etc. with a side of rice. Maybe a little side salad, but not too many veggies.

Morning of, I'm still trying to master, but it's usually a bagel with cream cheese, coffee, water and some electrolyte tabs. I'll snack on a Larabar while setting up transition. A few minutes before the gun, I'll take down a gel and I tuck one in my wetsuit too, just in case. Haven't needed it yet, but it's more of a reassurance thing than anything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rice. Lots of rice. Or derivatives rice noodles, rice pasta, rice flour bagel with nut butter. Oh yah nuts and nut butters. Dark chocolate.

Race morning breakfast: GF bagel with nut butter, coffee, maybe banana, then a power bar at the race site an hour+ before swim.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PopTarts
Quote Reply
Re: Recommended foods to eat days and day before IM [Bifff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is pro fuel
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Omelet from IHOP. With pancakes on the side. And too much syrup.

NO
Quote Reply
Re: Recommended foods to eat days and day before IM [Alabama Viking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's sounds even better than PopTarts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If things have been working well in training leading into long training days keep it the same for the lead up to the race.
If you have had problems then it is time to experiment ahead of the race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about what NOT to eat. Anything that would cause GI issues. Garlic, jalapeños --have low fiber, minimal fats, dairy and seafood, all are pretty common things I've found many can have issues with.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a tradition night before a race, must be a chicken parma with chips and salad, washed down with 1-2 beers. No joke. Never had an issue!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i actually have a lot of veggies, but i eat a lot of those on daily basis no matter what anyways. Have 4-5 bananas as well. Add in a good 2/3 loaf of whole wheat bread in there. Get about 60-80g of protein.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: Recommended foods to eat days and day before IM [BBLOEHR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Honestly I just eat normal. Only difference is that I replace water with sports drink as some extra calories but don't change what I eat.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommended foods to eat days and day before IM [rock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is actually very similar to what I eat, although I'll also have some pasta too. I think the beers help.

The main thing I differ on from most people, is I eat high fibre the days before. All Bran after the chicken Parma. And then I don't eat solid food until after the race is over. When it works it works really well. If it's a slow morning though... it's a bit of a crapshoot how the day goes.

Quote | Reply
I heard once from a sport nutritional expert, that on day 4 until day 2 before the race you should eat a lot of carbs. On day 1 you should eat normal. I follow this the last couple of years.
To do the carboloading I eat a lot of pasta and bread, but also a lot of sugar. It is the only days of the year that I buy Coca-Cola and a lot of sweeties.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the feedback!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My 2 cents worth is don't go nuts changing your day to day diet. Your body will automatically top up glycogen stores to close to max on account of reduced exercise. Especially the day before don't overload your digestive system. Your digestive system will get a major workout during the 140.6 miles on race day so don't traumatize it before. For race week chew your food entirely so that it becomes liquid before if goes past your mouth. I'd stay away from anything highly glycemic until 24 hours out (ideally you do that in your day to day diet). Basically don't do anything crazy and change what your body is used to before race day and go into the race rested....same applies to your digestive systems as the rest of what you do to your body with workouts. Keep it conservative.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommended foods to eat days and day before IM [rock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The more I think about this, the more nutritional it sounds
Quote Reply
Re: Recommended foods to eat days and day before IM [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
Rice. Lots of rice. Or derivatives rice noodles, rice pasta, rice flour bagel with nut butter. Oh yah nuts and nut butters. Dark chocolate.

Race morning breakfast: GF bagel with nut butter, coffee, maybe banana, then a power bar at the race site an hour+ before swim.

My first full as well but before long rides this. I'm lucky as in I have a BS in Exercise Phys. 3-5 hours before competition shoot for 3-5 grams of carbs per a kg of body weight. That's gonna be hard... For a fatty like me that's like enough rice to make you burst.

On the coffee note, I usually switch out for Red Bull before a race. As coffee has a tendency to make me drop a steamer a few hours after having it. I guess if you have it out far enough it won't effect the race. But also all the sugar in the Red Bull helps me hit my carb goal. On the way to almost any tri I'll drink a sport drink on the way up, and have a cliff bar, or banana while I'm waiting around.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply