Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Fun Names
Quote | Reply
So this is a bit of an homage to my grandmother; she passed away last weekend a bit shy of her 95th birthday. But this isn't a sympathy thread, this is about fun old names that we may never see again, as Nana had one: Nelzina (Nell-ZYN-ah). Never heard or seen it other than Nana.

So in memory of Nana: whp else has some interesting names from their family past? Let's hear 'em!
- Jeff
Quote Reply
Re: Fun Names [jkstevens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pt of mine named Fern died two days ago. She was 105 years old. One of her earliest memories was taking the doctor around the home by coal lantern at 6 years of age to check on numerous other members of her family who had Spanish flu from the big epidemic in 1918.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had an aunt Meep. I always liked saying Aunt Meep.
I also knew a guy named Trixie. Big Jamaican dude who worked for my uncle. He was quite a character.

A false humanity is used to impose its opposite, by people whose cruelty is equalled only by their arrogance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My 84 year old father's middle name is Shirley.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While not as uncommon as yours, I have an aunt named Ethel. She goes by Cricket.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Fun Names [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's awesome! Great name!!

My Dad had a cousin Virgie (I have no idea how to spell that).

Nana had a brother whom we called Uncle Bing.

Grampa Arthur had a cousin known as Handy Andy.

I've got a cousin who goes by Crowbar... I have no idea what his real name is. His brother is named Keith, but everyone calls him Elvis.

Another cousin is names Walter, but goes by Ickaboo. And no one remembers why...

And we call my mother's youngest brother Skip. Guess we have a bunch of weird names in my family...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My grandFATHER was named Fay (his older brother was Ray).

My great grandfather was named Napoleon but everyone called him 'Poly. He must have been quite a character because he has been dead for 40 years and people from my father's home town still talk about "Poly Maddox.....

----------------------------
Jason
None of the secrets of success will work unless you do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My Grandpa's younger brother's name is Romeo. People call him Romey (sp?). He did not marry Juliet, though - her name is Berneal.

My Grandma was named Celicia, but everybody called her Tillie.

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had a great aunt Lorraine who often went by Reindeer.

A great great great grandfather Wolfgang.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
one of my g'ma's was named minnie.
i have an aunt named dorthy, we are from the great state of Kansas. but we always called her aunt bonnie. i don't think her daughter was able to get out dorthy when she was learning to speak, so somehow/where along the line it morphed into bonnie.

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ
we're doomed
Quote Reply
Post deleted by spudone [ In reply to ]
Re: Fun Names [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I worked with a married couple whose names were Peta (the wife) and Kiley (the husband). They admitted it was pain meeting new people when most people would assume Peta (Peter) was the husband and Kiley (Kylie) was the wife. I met Kiley's brother some time later and he said Kiley was given the option to change his name when he was younger but declined to do so.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am so happy that I was not named for my great aunt, Gertrude...

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: Fun Names [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gertrude was my Grammy Grace's middle name. Two of my neices have Grace for a middle name, but no Gertrudes...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had an aunt we called Choff. Also called her Anty Yookey. Her real name was Theresa. My grandfather was Bernard but everyone called him Lefty.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The grandmother in laws are Tilley and Edith.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My son's fiance has a grandmother named Tootie. I always snicker like a 12 year old when she mentions her.

Lifeguard: "Do you need help?" Me: "No, that's just my butterfly."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Paternal grandfather was Joseph Gladstone -- we all called him Steve, never did find out why.

RayGovett
Hughson CA
Be Prepared-- Strike Swiftly -- Who Dares Wins- Without warning-"it will be hard. I can do it"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My family is Mormon (I'm not anymore, but that's another story), so there are lots of weird names. My grandfather's name was Harden, which my older brother inherited. My other brothers' names are Coulson, Thatcher, Ransom, and Kent. I got off pretty easy with Jonathan.

My dad's sister, Gayle, married a man named Gary, so they decided to give all their kids names starting with G--the first one was Gary, but then they followed that with four girls: Gwendolyn, Gina and Ginger (twins), and Genelle.

Growing up, there was a family at church with twelve kids who did something similar, only theirs were all D. I don't remember all of them, but they included Dustin, Dwight, Donovan, Donald, Douglas, Donna, and Derek.

Another cousin is named Mikelle--short i, emphasis on the second syllable.

ETA: Thought of a couple more. Another girl at church growing up was Mikin, like Mike+n. And a friend named his first son Tallis, after the English Renaissance composer.
Last edited by: Vman455: Aug 13, 17 18:11
Quote Reply