Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
The disturbing truth about North Korea.
Quote | Reply
The truth about North Korea barely anyone is talking about is that they aren't a threat. There is no threat from North Korea. We have a piece of shit president in trouble so he is using the war dog whistle America loves so much. To Trump's great fortune there is another piece of shit who shares his stupidity talking trash he has zero intention of backing up. It's like the dumbest flex off in history.
Quote Reply
Re: The disturbing truth about North Korea. [Tibbsy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't tell CNN that. They have 24 hour coverage of "the war" planned until they can find another story on Trump and Russia...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tibbsy wrote:
The truth about North Korea barely anyone is talking about is that they aren't a threat. There is no threat from North Korea. We have a piece of shit president in trouble so he is using the war dog whistle America loves so much. To Trump's great fortune there is another piece of shit who shares his stupidity talking trash he has zero intention of backing up. It's like the dumbest flex off in history.

You would do well to curb your desire to unleash emotional outbursts before you've had a chance to fully think them through.

I'm not going to comment one way or the other on the President's comments, but to waive off N.Korea as a non-threat exposes you as shockingly poorly informed.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: The disturbing truth about North Korea. [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's ratings baby! We love war and even the slight hint of a war that will not happen because there is no threat gives us the boners that cause ratings.
Quote Reply
Re: The disturbing truth about North Korea. [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK. I know how you operate. You are right there is a threat. They are a nation with a military so they are a threat. You are right. I am wrong. There is a threat. You win. Write it down. slowguy won.

Now that I have bent the knee allow me to put it this way. North Korea is not the threat we are being fed. North Korea is no where near the threat that is being panicked over.

I want to think slowguy for pulling in my hyperbole. WIthout him I would get in a hyperbole loop.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They are like 99% a threat to South Korea. 0.999% threat to Japan. Maybe 0.0001% threat to the USA.
Quote Reply
Re: The disturbing truth about North Korea. [FishyJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
but that .0001% counts. I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just think a bit. Who started the rhetoric? It wasn't President Trump. Again, I'm not going to comment on whether his words were well chosen or not, but it's hard to claim that he's instigating this tension because of his ratings when the war-like rhetoric was started by N.Korea's threats in response to UN sanctions.

N.Korea is not an immediate threat to nuke Hawaii. I called out CNN for their alarmism yesterday. However, N.Korea is on their way to being a nuclear power, and we are basically past the point of being able to stop that. They will have nukes, and those missiles will be able to reach the US. They are also a direct threat to S.Korea and the large amount of troops we have on the peninsula, as well as various other allies in Asia.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah. I never said that wasn't a thing. They are a threat in the way all things are a threat. I have access to two guns (not on me but I can borrow them), some knives and all kinds of chemicals. I have a neighbor I can't stand. I am a threat to him. I have weapons and a dislike, a threat. The catch is I am not going to harm him because there is no reason too. North Korea has nothing to gain from war. There is nothing saying they are about to do anything. If a war starts it's going to be the US that starts it and the US isn't going to start anything.

This is not a story because North Korea is not an imminent threat. I welcome your lecture on threat levels and I will admit I used the term "imminent threat" wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Well written summary.

If Trump's goal was to stoop down to the level of North Korea - then this is a big win for him! [sarcasm]

Indeed, for those outside of a geographic area, this really is no big deal. However, I am sure that in South Korea, there are very legitimate and serious concerns of what might come next.

Although, it's concerning at some level, because major world conflicts (WW1), have started out, with less benign language and miss-communication.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree that you've used the term "threat" too loosely.

As it stands right now, NK isn't a threat to the mainland United States. NK is talking about lobbing some missiles and having them land about 30-40 km offshore from Guam which is a US military installation. But the threat to the mainland US is overblown.

But

NK is a threat to South Korea, and most of the South Korean population lives within artillery distance of NK. NK is a very real, very large threat to them. NK has promised to launch everything it has against SK if there is a hint of an invasion. It's the only reason that NK is still standing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
Don't tell CNN that. They have 24 hour coverage of "the war" planned until they can find another story on Trump and Russia...

Uh oh. Among the LR deranged this is clearly a defense of Trump. So now you're a Trump ballwasher.
Quote Reply
Re: The disturbing truth about North Korea. [Durhamskier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NK is a threat to South Korea, and most of the South Korean population lives within artillery distance of NK.

They have been a threat to South Korea long before they had a nuclear weapon. An entire generation grew up with the constant threats coming from the North so for the most part, it is just business as usual.

The only thing that has changed is the U.S President's comments, which is causing concern here but the rhetoric from NK happened long before Donald J. Trump came to office. There are smart adults in the administration to protect the world from Trump so a lot of the hype is way overblown.
Quote Reply
Re: The disturbing truth about North Korea. [Durhamskier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ONCE AGAIN EVERYONE! PAY ATTENTION!

I bow down to all of you. I have phrased something wrong. This is terrible of me. I now put myself before you as a wretch. A slug. A nothing. I can't believe this sin. Like a real asshole I was talking about a treat to the US. It was very nationalistic of me. It was very wrong of me. This is a great shame that I will never live down.

My point being is that North Korea is not the threat that is currently being sold to us by the US GOVERNMENT AND US PRESS (I am talking about the US media and government not any other nations. There are nations where the government and media of that nation are not selling North Korea as some kind of threat. I am not talking about those nations. I am also aware not all media sources in the US and not all parts of the US government are selling the North Korea threat to the US not the threat to other nations. Now as far as the term sell goes. I accept any and all criticism that selling is the wrong expression. I will also accept any and all criticism of me using the term expression wrong. If I used the word term wrong I also accept that I made that mistake.) We are being snowballed. (If you disagree with the use of snowballed I apologize and would welcome a better word to use.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
The only thing that has changed is the U.S President's comments

That's just not accurate.

Leadership in N.Korea has changed in the past handful of years. You can't look at generations of threats and think this regime is the same as those before.

You mentioned N.Korea sending a missile to within 30-40 km of Guam. Even a couple of years ago, they couldn't do that. If they can do it accurately, that's another step, over and above the distance itself.

Once they are able to miniaturize a nuclear warhead to weaponized it, that's another significant step.

Having a nuclear capability can change a country's strategic calculus. At that point, their threats have a little more credibility, and the potential risk grows much higher. A country that feels out gunned and outmanned, will behave differently than a country that feels like it's a member if the nuclear club, and knows that it can do serious damage well outside of its local sphere of influence.

To say that the only thing that has changed is our President and his rhetoric is just not true.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What would North Korea have to gain from a nuclear attack? Or atomic attack? Or thermonuclear attack? Or whatever attack you deem correct?
Quote Reply
Re: The disturbing truth about North Korea. [Old Hickory] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Old Hickory wrote:
Sanuk wrote:

Uh oh. Among the LR deranged this is clearly a defense of Trump. So now you're a Trump ballwasher.

Notice how you are the only one that brings this up? #fakenews
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hoodwinked
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OTOH, we are an existential threat to the North Korea regime, and always have been.
Quote Reply
Re: The disturbing truth about North Korea. [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TimeIsUp wrote:
Old Hickory wrote:
Sanuk wrote:

Notice how you are the only one that brings this up? #fakenews

No. I've not. It gets pointed out often by others. Have you not noticed that?
Quote Reply
Re: The disturbing truth about North Korea. [Old Hickory] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hoodwinked! I like it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tibbsy wrote:
What would North Korea have to gain from a nuclear attack? Or atomic attack? Or thermonuclear attack? Or whatever attack you deem correct?

Self preservation. As oldandslow mentioned, we are an existential threat to N.Korea, and its regime in particular. N.Korea looks at the world, and see itself completely surrounded by enemies. Many of these enemies have openly criticized and made fun of the regime, and called for regime change. Right now, if the world decided they had had enough of the regime, the world could stomp N.Korea, and generally limit the damage to the peninsula. With the capability for nuclear strike, that calculus changes, and the enemies have to rethink their strategy, and potentially N.Korea finds themselves safe from regime change, because the threat of nuclear retaliation is too great to be acceptable to their enemies.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tibbsy wrote:

And then there are the 'piece of shit' people/media/celebrities/politicians that are so blinded by their hatred for Trump that they resent anything and everything that can in any way be attributed to him. They twist unrelated matters around to attribute fault to him in some way. If he does something that Obama did during his term, it is criticized as ignorant, stupid, or whatever. Sometimes, it is just plain funny to see the lengths that some politicians and the media will go to in order to attribute an unpopular event or development to Trump. The hatred, vitriol, and venom on display by lefties is absolutely mind boggling and I think many of them have completely lost any ability for rational thought without severe bias.

Greg

If you are a Canuck that engages in gratuitous bashing of the US, you are probably on my Iggy List. So, save your self a bunch of typing a response unless you also feel the need to gratuitously bash me. If so, have fun.
"Don't underestimate Joe's ability to f___ things up" - Barack Obama, 2020
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tibbsy wrote:

ANY nation that possess nuclear weapons and has the will to use them should be treated seriously on the international stage. And when a nation that possesses nuclear weapons engages in a casus belli (an act or situation provoking or justifying war -- such as launching a four-missile "crucial warning salvo" at Guam, which is both a U.S. territory and home to a very large U.S. military presence) -- a prudent nation would take steps to protect itself.

Personally, I've been a part of several military exercises over the years, both on and around the Korean Peninsula (Team Spirit, being the most frequent). I've seen DPRK soldiers staring across at U.S. and ROK forces up at Camp Bonifas on the Korean Demilitarized Zone. (Art Bonifas was a U.S. Army officer who -- along with fellow officer Mark Barrett -- was murdered with axes by DPRK soldiers while supervising the cutting down of a tree that was obscuring UN observers scanning the land separating the two sides up there.). Just from my limited knowledge of the North Koreans, I can say we should be taking what they do very, very seriously. Of course, some of what they say is hyperbole, but we've been dealing with them for more than 65 years now, so I think we know how to separate speech from acts (especially acts of war).

Leaving aside the heated rhetoric from Whoa Fat in Pyongyang and the Orange-Haired Wonder in D.C., I would refer everyone to the statement released by Secretary of Defense Jim Mattis as regards the situation with North Korea. He's been in this line of work for 44 years, much of it as a very, very serious Marine Corps general officer:

IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Statement by Secretary of Defense Jim Mattis

Press Operations

Release No: NR-286-17
Aug. 9, 2017

The United States and our allies have the demonstrated capabilities and unquestionable commitment to defend ourselves from an attack. Kim Jong Un should take heed of the United Nations Security Council’s unified voice, and statements from governments the world over, who agree the DPRK poses a threat to global security and stability. The DPRK must choose to stop isolating itself and stand down its pursuit of nuclear weapons. The DPRK should cease any consideration of actions that would lead to the end of its regime and the destruction of its people.

President Trump was informed of the growing threat last December and on taking office his first orders to me emphasized the readiness of our ballistic missile defense and nuclear deterrent forces. While our State Department is making every effort to resolve this global threat through diplomatic means, it must be noted that the combined allied militaries now possess the most precise, rehearsed and robust defensive and offensive capabilities on Earth. The DPRK regime’s actions will continue to be grossly overmatched by ours and would lose any arms race or conflict it initiates.

Statement by Secretary of Defense Jim Mattis > U.S. DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE > News Release View

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: The disturbing truth about North Korea. [gregtryin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought Obama did many idiotic things. I was not a fan of Obama. So, you know, take you Christ fixation of Trump elsewhere.
Quote Reply

Prev Next