Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

"Beginner" 70.3 race in North America
Quote | Reply
Looking for recommendations for an easy swim 70.3 in North America. Not as concerned with the bike and the run but flatter is better for the run. I am coming off of a 10 month injury ( torn soleus / dislocated FIB head) and am looking to do my first 70.3 next spring or summer as I transition from Du to Tri. It has taken me almost 4 years to get my swim to the point that I feel comfortable entering the water at a 70.3 start.....hence the easy swim.
Last edited by: blaxxuede: Aug 7, 17 6:20
Quote Reply
Re: "Beginner" 70.3 race in North America [blaxxuede] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Augusta has a downstream swim but it's late in the year. If you start training now, ease into it, and so some sprints olympics between now and then, you'd be in shape to do just about any 70.3 you want.
Quote Reply
Re: "Beginner" 70.3 race in North America [jazzymusicman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 on both points. My fiance couldn't swim across a 50m pool 14 months ago without stopping once or twice on the side, her first 70.3 will be Maine in 3 weeks and she's more concerned about her bike split than anything else. The main confidence builder was a sprint last fall and an Oly early summer.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Augusta is the 70.3 race for bucket listers and one & done athletes. It's the largest 70.3 in the US (or at least, it was up to a few years ago) mainly because of this video where an unassisted bag of potato chips made the swim cutoff with time to spare. The run is also flat and shaded (for the most part) and has big crowds cheering because it is a double loop through downtown Augusta.

But be aware, the bike course is not as easy as the swim & run. There are some challenging climbs and technical turns, and a couple years back, the roads were fucking terrible. But there are also some bombing downhills & straightaways where you can really get after it. It's very easy to overcook your legs & have a shit run because of it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is quite outdated (2013) but it is a decent reference of splits.

http://www.runtri.com/2010/08/toughesthardest-vs-easiestfastest-half.html

Quote Reply
Re: "Beginner" 70.3 race in North America [jazzymusicman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks all. I was actually looking at Oceanside because of its ocean swim. I didn't really notice Augusta so I will look into it. What about Chatanooga? I am not out of shape by any means, I am just not in "race shape" so I need 6 months or less to be ready.....I used the term beginner because of the swim. I am a pretty decent cyclist and an excellent runner off the bike I just want to try and stay uninjured.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did Augusta in 2016 and Chattanooga, this year. Choo's swim was shortened this year (too much current), but I'd still give the "easier" nod to Augusta (and I am NOT a swimmer). Bike course is easier at Choo. Run course.....is flatter at Augusta. It was 94 in Augusta in 2016. I think it would be a BIG outlier for it to be close to that in Choo (in May).

No doubt in my mind that Choo's the faster course (all things considered).
Quote Reply
Re: "Beginner" 70.3 race in North America [nc452010] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nc452010 wrote:
No doubt in my mind that Choo's the faster course (all things considered).

Having done Choo 70.3 three times & Augusta in 2015, I would absolutely agree with this statement.
Quote Reply
Re: "Beginner" 70.3 race in North America [nc452010] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So it seems the consensus all the way around is Augusta. This would give me plenty of training time.....I could definitely slip in an oly there somewhere with this plan. As I was gonna forgo that distance and straight to 70.3.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Galveston is about as flat as can be. Swim can be a little bit choppy due to wind sometimes. It is a saltwater swim and always wetsuit legal (is there an Ironman branded event nowadays that ISN'T wetsuit legal)? Bike and run are super flat.

Mark Saroni
Quote | Reply
blaxxuede wrote:
Looking for recommendations for an easy swim 70.3 in North America. Not as concerned with the bike and the run but flatter is better for the run. I am coming off of a 10 month injury ( torn soleus / dislocated FIB head) and am looking to do my first 70.3 next spring or summer as I transition from Du to Tri. It has taken me almost 4 years to get my swim to the point that I feel comfortable entering the water at a 70.3 start.....hence the easy swim.

Spring or summer? Is Chatty downstream for the 70.3?

If time of year is less important and you're looking late in the season, NC is arguably better than Augusta... swim is saltwater, almost guaranteed to be wetsuit legal, and down-current. Sometimes just a slight push, other years it's like a waterslide. And my bias would pick NC any day, given that used to be my home course and my ex-wife has a bunch of family in Augusta.
Quote Reply
Re: "Beginner" 70.3 race in North America [beastofbourbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah is NC a 70.3? Thought it was a full? If so thatd def be an option kinda wanted spring but more prep time cant hurt and getting a few actual tri races in could be a confidence boost!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep. Oct 21st, 2017 is NC 70.3 (Was this Beach to Battleship?)

Raleigh 70.3 is in June
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ironman Calgary 70.3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
blaxxuede wrote:
Yeah is NC a 70.3? Thought it was a full? If so thatd def be an option kinda wanted spring but more prep time cant hurt and getting a few actual tri races in could be a confidence boost!

Mdot killed off the former B2B 140.6, and just kept the 70.3.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shocked no one has said AZ 70.3 TTL is easy swim. Bike has a ton of turns (66per lap) but pretty flat. Run is flat n fast.

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Take a look at the Toughman schedule for some options. Part of what will make these races a bit easier and more comfortable is that they are not nearly as crowded as the IM-branded events. Personally, I find that to be a plus, as I don't like crowds - especially in the swim.

Definitely worth considering, with some great venues around North (and South) America!

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: "Beginner" 70.3 race in North America [Travis R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Will Do! There's a 70.3 here in PA in early May I was looking at as well at Raystown Lake but I think I may just do the oly!
Last edited by: blaxxuede: Aug 8, 17 5:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recommend Auburn Half, all of your subsequent races will be a breeze!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Monterrey, Mexico, has a swim that's in a canal that's about 5 feet deep. It takes the whole "you might drown" part out of the equation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did 70.3 NC wilmington last year and it's possible it was an exception rather than the rule but the wind on the bike was absolutely brutal. Swim was fine. Run was fine. The bike was mostly on the highway so not many trees to block the wind. Not that I need much scenery but Chatt and Augusta bikes were far better IMO. And don't discount the convenience factor. Chattanooga you can get a hotel downtown and walk to transition
Quote Reply
Re: "Beginner" 70.3 race in North America [T3_Beer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
T3_Beer wrote:
I recommend Auburn Half, all of your subsequent races will be a breeze!

+1, all others would be a breeze. I've only done the Sprint and Olympic there, a Half would be a sufferfest.
Quote Reply
Re: "Beginner" 70.3 race in North America [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm really looking at Augusta now but at least there are options. Augusta seems to fill fast! Wonder why there are no IronBrand races here in good old PA?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
blaxxuede wrote:
Thanks all. I was actually looking at Oceanside because of its ocean swim. I didn't really notice Augusta so I will look into it. What about Chatanooga? I am not out of shape by any means, I am just not in "race shape" so I need 6 months or less to be ready.....I used the term beginner because of the swim. I am a pretty decent cyclist and an excellent runner off the bike I just want to try and stay uninjured.

if your coming all the way to ocean side... there is trick or tri 70.3 near LA, or chula vista challenge near san diego
Quote Reply