Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? August 7 Edition
Quote | Reply
How are you and how was your week?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? August 7 Edition [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Goals for this week:
5 swims
10k race on Saturday... no idea how I will race in the sort of heat that they have here. Main goal is to go into it with semi rested legs.
bike long on Sunday

All goals complete if we emphasise "semi rested". The 10k was fun but tummy issues killed my second lap (two-loop course). I split 23:03/26:31. While the results have me 4th in my AG, I believe I was 3rd because one of the women above me appears to have cut the second loop short - her splits were 28 min then 13 minutes. Overall, (a) I had fun (b) it is not as hot here as I had feared and actually was quite comfy that morning (c) I got to go down a blow-up water slide after the race and (d) I have put another state on the States In Which I Have Raced map.

totals for the week 6 swims = 10,850 yds; 2 bikes = 39 mi; 6 runs = 42.1 mi

Goals for this week
5 swims
long bike ride and/or do intervals on bike
keep easy runs easy and speed runs fast

No kittens yet... am going to check into another shelter to see if they can use my valuable services :P

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for getting us started, Dr. Tigerchik -- I'm glad you're getting settled in and congratulations on your 10K.

I hit all my goals:

Quote:
3 or 4 swims, 3 bikes, 3 runs, 2 strength sessions, 1 yoga class, and daily p/rehab with a focus on riding outside in new tri position and an ocean swim race this weekend.

Swim: I did three of my swims in the ocean and one in the pool to work on technique. Unfortunately, I've developed an overuse injury in my elbow/shoulder. It was sore on Wednesday and I figured it was tendinitis from the big jump in my swimming yardage but it made for a very long 4,000Y ocean swim race on Sunday and now I'm going to take a few days off from swimming to give it some rest. I'll probably use my pool time to work on my kicking so if anyone has suggestions for kick sets please let me know.
Bike: I did one trainer ride and two outdoor rides -- my tri bike ride went better than the prior week's ride but is still a work in progress. My other outdoor ride was a series of hill climbs on my road bike and it felt good.
Run: All three of my runs were fine -- a track workout, an easy aerobic effort, and a long run with blocks of two mile intervals alternating at race pace and a 0:45 slower "recovery" pace.
Other: Yoga was lovely and both my strength sessions were good. I'll continue lifting until two weeks before my next 70.3.

This week, I am traveling to attend family's annual race (run, bike, horseback ride!) and plan on 2 swims focused on kicking, 4 bikes, 3 runs, 2 strength sessions, 1 yoga class, my daily p/rehab, and a nice hike at home. Hopefully my elbow will heal quickly so I can get back to swimming. My how the tables have turned :D

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Last edited by: SoCalTricurious: Aug 7, 17 9:13
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? August 7 Edition [SoCalTricurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SoCal - Ooh that family race sounds fun! How did it become a tradition?

My goals were: 150miles/5 rides to include 40k TT (probably in the range of 1h10 - 1h15), run x 2, get fence stained

Fence - no. Weather was all over the place and I need a few dry days in a row.

Runs - yes! I am still getting the workouts weekly from my physio and she seems to have the knack for challenging me just enough.

Bike - yes (but with a no)! I didn't do the 40k TT (long boring story) but I did ride 180 miles for the week. Currently 28% through my August cycling goal. One of my rides was a longer (77mi) one - it landed up being quite stressful with multiple dogs chasing us.

This week's goals: 150 miles on the bike, run x 2, get fence stained. Today is a holiday here in Alberta but it's supposed to start storming soon and Dan is on call so I will be catching up with chores - done some yardwork already this morning and there is a pile of ironing waiting...
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? August 7 Edition [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scheherazade, I grew up on a horse farm in an athletic family -- TriHoofAlon was my Mom's idea and was originally a small weird thing among barn regulars and my cousins but it's grown to a "real" event that's a fundraiser for a local charity. Here's the website: http://trihoofalon.com

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello, Women!

I hit my goals 95% last week. My long ride was short by 30 minutes because I had to bail early. And I always plan on 3 swims knowing that I'll only do 2. Oh well.

Swim x 2 OWS
Bike x4
Run x4

I'm in my second week of ditching the pool for all OWS. Wednesday was a red tide so it was pretty dark and brown/red. But it tasted okay. I also had a seal charge me while showing his teeth. That was new. Saturday was beautiful again. There were a couple of kelp patches to swim around.

I've learned a few things doing only OWS. I get more sore! The balancing as the sea tosses me around has engaged new muscles that a pool swim ignores. I'm also doing really long "sets" so no wall rests. I am much more knackered than even a high-intensity pool swim. I also think that getting stuck in currents forces me to swim harder sprints than a pool sprint set. If I don't go all-out-beast I'll be stuck there forever! I'm also much more inclined to breathe bi-laterally, which I have successfully avoided for 35+ years of swimming. My body actually WANTS to breathe bi-laterally in OWS. So, why not? I wonder if it will follow me back to the pool....

I was also super stoked to score a transfer entry to Santa Barbara Tri in a couple of weeks. I wasn't wanting to spending the money on that race, and now I don't have to! Woot!

I'm about a month out from Santa Cruz 70.3, which I'm looking forward to. One more big week this week and then a light week. I'm ready for a light week. My legs are toasted. I am very happy that today is a rest day!

Goals this week:

Swim x3 (yeah, right)
Bike x4
Run x4
Stretch x7

Oh. And I cleaned my house. That has been a goal for a long time now..... done!

Carry on, women!

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SoCalTricurious wrote:
I did three of my swims in the ocean and one in the pool to work on technique. Unfortunately, I've developed an overuse injury in my elbow/shoulder.

I'm curious about your elbow/shoulder. I'm in week 2 of 100% OWS and now my left elbow has a niggle that it has never had before. Does your ocean swimming have to do with it? For me, I think it is because I'm using my forearms to balance in the water and compensate for chop. At first I was thinking it might be from so much sighting, but I sight with my right arm extended and it is my left elbow with the niggle.

My yardage isn't up, nor is total time in the water, but I am definitely swimming a different style in the ocean. I'm going to try to focus on a more perfected stroke and see if it fixes it. Meanwhile, ICE!

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? August 7 Edition [SLOgoing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SLO, I'm sorry to hear about your niggle.

Mine started as a niggle during Wednesday's long choppy OWS and then was a dull ache. On Sunday, it turned into a sharp pain from the elbow to the shoulder which left me basically swimming one-armed from Pier to Pier. We had a strong current too so it took my about 40 minutes longer than I expected and was pretty miserable. I am sure that made it worse. I've been icing and resting and it's back to a dull ache today.

My guess is it's two-fold 1) the chop (using forearms to compensate and "club" the water 2) swimming non-stop versus the same yardage but as intervals with breaks to rest and reset.

R.I.C.E for both of us. Heal quick.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gasp! I'm pre-dull ache so I'm going to see if I can deniggle this one. Wednesday was some ugly swimming here. Rough waters and strong currents. I may have swam backwards.

Indeed, no intervals is much different. I think ditching the pool will improve my OWS race swim times, assuming I can stay niggle-free.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SLOgoing wrote:
I also had a seal charge me while showing his teeth. That was new.
Holy crap!!!!!!!!!!

http://mediocremultisport.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? August 7 Edition [Midtown Miles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't have a good training week -- I only ran three times. I felt blah for a few days during the week and I went out of town over the weekend.

BUT, the weekend adventure was great. It was an uncle's wedding and it was a blast! I got to hang out with my family, we played cards for 8 hours straight, and my face and throat hurt by the end of the night from laughing so hard. Best of all, everyone behaved and there was no family drama.

We stayed with my other grandmother (almost 85 and still in good health and living alone!) and all went to church, then out to breakfast.... where she ditched us to sit with her other little old lady friends. I have been laughing at this for three days now.

http://mediocremultisport.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fingers crossed for your deniggling, SLO. We see a lot of seals down here but I've never had one come close -- yikes!

Midtown Miles, sounds like a great adventure :D It can't all be training.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Only just got a chance to click through; I really like that you can do the run/bike as a standalone too. Looks like an amazing event and as a member of our local volunteer FD, thank you for supporting your local FD.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? August 7 Edition [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scheherazade, thanks for volunteering -- where I'm from the FD does a lot more than fight fires and I'm glad we're able to support them. And I know at least two volunteer FD racing this weekend :D

Here's a link to an article in the local paper about the TriHoofAlon -- there are still spots available if you know anyone local.

Quote Reply