Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Girls softball team DQ'd from World Series after inappropriate photo
Quote | Reply

https://www.yahoo.com/...-post-212434926.html

The Atlee Junior League softball team was removed from the World Series championship game on Saturday after posting an inappropriate photo on social media.

According to the Richmond-Times Dispatch, Little League officials were made aware of the photo, which shows several members of the team giving the middle finger to the camera, on Saturday morning. It was quickly decided to disqualify the team, which consists of girls ages 12-14, from further competition.

Quote Reply
Re: Girls softball team DQ'd from World Series after inappropriate photo [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have no problem with this at all. These little twits need to learn posting stupid shit on social media has consequences. Better this than missing out on or losing a job for posting some stupid shit they did.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Girls softball team DQ'd from World Series after inappropriate photo [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Girls softball team DQ'd from World Series after inappropriate photo [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Girls softball team DQ'd from World Series after inappropriate photo [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Girls softball team DQ'd from World Series after inappropriate photo [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In all seriousness. Just two days ago I posted a picture of my son flipping the bird at me (he was showing me a cut on his finger) on IG.

He and I should probably have our lives destroyed for that. Seems reasonable.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Girls softball team DQ'd from World Series after inappropriate photo [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
In all seriousness. Just two days ago I posted a picture of my son flipping the bird at me (he was showing me a cut on his finger) on IG.

He and I should probably have our lives destroyed for that. Seems reasonable.

Yes and that is exactly what happened to these little bundles of joy - their lives were destroyed ...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They just keepin' it real, yo.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They learned a valuable lesson.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
I have no problem with this at all. These little twits need to learn posting stupid shit on social media has consequences. Better this than missing out on or losing a job for posting some stupid shit they did.

You mean like this?

http://www.cnn.com/...ard-memes/index.html

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:

Agreed. Make your mistakes and learn from them in these relatively low stakes environments rather than finding out you can't do whatever you want with no consequences by losing an actual job or worse, later in life.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ridiculous overreaction. You guys are pussies.

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Re: Girls softball team DQ'd from World Series after inappropriate photo [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CaptainCanada wrote:

I posted the article with no commentary of my own. I will admit I have mixed emotions about it. On one hand, it was relatively harmless - classless, but harmless. The league probably could have taken another action, but this one isn't too far off base (see what I did there?)

On the other hand, the girls learned a valuable but also harmless lesson that could serve them well for the rest of their life.
Quote Reply
Re: Girls softball team DQ'd from World Series after inappropriate photo [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CaptainCanada wrote:

In Canada they would have been deported. With your draconian xenophobic immigration policy, they could never return.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
CaptainCanada wrote:

In Canada they would have been deported. With your draconian xenophobic immigration policy, they could never return.

Damn straight.

I agree with you and don't disagree with slowguy. Life lesson for the little shits.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Girls softball team DQ'd from World Series after inappropriate photo [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you guys were the decision maker, would you have DQ'd them for this? I wouldn't have. Sure, give them a scare by spending a few days "considering" their expulsion, but in the end I'd have let them compete. They're kids. Kids do dumb things. No one got hurt by the foolishness.

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:

Maybe we take a big step back and ask ourselves, does the punishment fit the crime?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What exactly is the offense? Does it violate a previously agreed up on code of conduct? Is there some rule broken that merits the DQ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:
CaptainCanada wrote:

I posted the article with no commentary of my own. I will admit I have mixed emotions about it. On one hand, it was relatively harmless - classless, but harmless. The league probably could have taken another action, but this one isn't too far off base (see what I did there?)

On the other hand, the girls learned a valuable but also harmless lesson that could serve them well for the rest of their life.

They basically were saying "Fuck you," correct? And they're young teens? I know this is the 21st century, and the debasement of our culture is going full-throttle, but where do we draw the line,especially when it comes to minor children? Should we as adults -- as imperfect a vessel as we surely are, collectively speaking -- be teaching them them manners/deportment, respect for others, and so forth, both as individual grown-ups and as a community of adults? If so, then these kids were handled appropriately.

I know that it's hard for kids that age to accept -- especially given most of them are being raised in an extreme self-esteem-growing climate, many with parents who'll argue with teachers over a grade that's anything less than an 'A' -- but it's like Mr. Slowguy says: better they learn now, at their age and when the lesson will be relatively painless (though acutely hurtful in the present) over time than they find out some seriously hard facts of life (as all of us of a certain age have no doubt discovered for ourselves), such as this one:

ACTIONS HAVE CONSEQUENCES.

Now get off my lawn, you young whippersnapper! ;-)

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Girls softball team DQ'd from World Series after inappropriate photo [RangerGress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope. But I also don't have a problem with them being DQd.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Girls softball team DQ'd from World Series after inappropriate photo [RangerGress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RangerGress wrote:
If you guys were the decision maker, would you have DQ'd them for this? I wouldn't have. Sure, give them a scare by spending a few days "considering" their expulsion, but in the end I'd have let them compete. They're kids. Kids do dumb things. No one got hurt by the foolishness.

Not sure if I would have DQd the team or not. I don't have lol the facts as regards the rules of the league or tournament, what kind of personal conduct rules exist, etc. I don't know if this picture is the full team or not. Maybe disqualify just the players in the photo and not the entire team?

If you want to penalize this action, what are the options? Doesn't seem like there are many. I'm not sure it makes sense to penalize them X number of runs or anything like that.

If you don't DQ them, what lesson is taught? Seems to me that the lesson is that they can get away with whatever they want.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Girls softball team DQ'd from World Series after inappropriate photo [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
RangerGress wrote:

Not sure if I would have DQd the team or not. I don't have lol the facts as regards the rules of the league or tournament, what kind of personal conduct rules exist, etc. I don't know if this picture is the full team or not. Maybe disqualify just the players in the photo and not the entire team?

If you want to penalize this action, what are the options? Doesn't seem like there are many. I'm not sure it makes sense to penalize them X number of runs or anything like that.

If you don't DQ them, what lesson is taught? Seems to me that the lesson is that they can get away with whatever they want.

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know, with everything that is out there these days, who cares. My bet it was men that made the dq.

sometimes
Quote Reply

Prev Next