Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Greensboro Running
Quote | Reply
Traveling to Greensboro, NC this weekend for a wedding. Looking for a decent running route with little car traffic (11-13 miles). Would be preferable if it was a trail or some kind of softer surface. I'm staying by the airport but willing drive for a good route. Bonus points if it's got some hills as well.....

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Greensboro Running [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From the airport I'd probably just drive ~10 min to Gibson Park or ~15 min to Piedmont Environmental Center and go from there. I've run in many parks around the world and PEC is still in my top 3 trails to run. I loop around the trails near the parking lot before running over to Gibson Park.

http://www.myguilford.com/parks/gibson-park/
https://www.highpointnc.gov/Facilities/Facility/Details/Piedmont-Environmental-Center-18

http://www.myguilford.com/parks/ Hagan stone and Bur Mil have some trail systems.

Depending which side of the airport you're on Bur Mil may be closer.

EDIT: You might want to check in with Fleet Feet in both HP and Gboro. Both have group runs leaving from the store.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Jul 17, 17 8:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From the airport, Salem Lake (east side of forsyth county) is only 20-25 mins, right off business HWY 40.

Non-paved and 7 mi. 2 fairly decent hills.
Quote Reply
Re: Greensboro Running [nc452010] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Non-paved and 7 mi. 2 fairly decent hills.

Don't believe the hype. it's 6.8 per loop. ;-)

It is a great run and occasionally you may see Herbert or David both from here running around the lake.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check out the Atlantic & Yadkin Greenway and the trails around Lake Brandt:

http://www.greensboro-nc.gov/index.aspx?page=1362
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can run the Hanging Rock SwimRun NC course :-) Plus there is Pilot Mountain to run. Hobby Park in WS is hilly but you will have to run 2 loops to get that distance.

If you arriving early I can run with you Friday. But I am leaving Saturday.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Funny I was in Greensboro for business earlier this week and stayed just south of the airport where 40 meets 68. There were no sidewalks to be found! Had to do my running on a treadmill.

Regards,
J. Smith
Quote Reply
Re: Greensboro Running [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Appreciate the offer! I fly in around 6 pm tomorrow. Planning my run for Saturday and maybe a swim.

I see there's a swim meet at the aquatic center this weekend. Any chance I could still get in? Perhaps between prelims and finals?

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Greensboro Running [jsmith82] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Staying on the south end as well. Glad I asked the question!! I was assuming there would just be side walks.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Greensboro Running [jsmith82] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
Traveling to Greensboro, NC this weekend for a wedding. Looking for a decent running route with little car traffic (11-13 miles). Would be preferable if it was a trail or some kind of softer surface. I'm staying by the airport but willing drive for a good route. Bonus points if it's got some hills as well.....

http://www.greensboro-nc.gov/index.aspx?page=1389

Plenty of trails in North Greensboro and I can run from there all the way downtown via several different routes on nothing but sidewalk/greenway, it's why I moved to that area of town (that and I can be out on the county roads in about 3 miles from my front door on the bike).

jsmith82 wrote:
Funny I was in Greensboro for business earlier this week and stayed just south of the airport where 40 meets 68. There were no sidewalks to be found! Had to do my running on a treadmill.

Depending on exactly where you were, from the intersection of 68 and 40 the Bicentennial Greenway is only about 3/4 of a mile (as a crow flies) away. See the interactive map in the link I posted above. As far as sidewalks, that area is really more industrial and on the fringes of what I'd consider Greensboro proper so with little residential in that area being pedestrian friendly isn't a top priority in that area. Once you're in Greensboro Proper there's a large enough sidewalk network that you can make it pretty much entirely across and around town via sidewalks and run more miles than I know I could ever do in a single day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
Appreciate the offer! I fly in around 6 pm tomorrow. Planning my run for Saturday and maybe a swim.

I see there's a swim meet at the aquatic center this weekend. Any chance I could still get in? Perhaps between prelims and finals?

here's the GAC's schedule and lane restrictions for July:

http://www.greensboroaquaticcenter.com/...-17lanes-7-12-17.pdf

looks like Saturday they'll have the diving well open and there's always the public pool which has 3 or so lanes but the water is warm and it can be busy in the summer...

Phillip
Quote Reply
Re: Greensboro Running [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Don't believe the hype. it's 6.8 per loop. ;-)

It is a great run and occasionally you may see Herbert or David both from here running around the lake."

---------------------------------------------------
There is a new dam and the old loop has been modified slightly so it is now 6.9 :-). I wouldn't exactly say hills . . . but I guess that is relative.

Lake Brandt is closer to the airport than Salem Lake, and I love running over there. That trail connects to Bur-Mil . . . it also connects to trails at Reedy Fork which are REALLY good. And, there is also the Atlantic & Yadkin Greenway. These four trail systems connect and you can run forever.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Last edited by: david: Jul 20, 17 12:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Battle forest park out on the west side of town. miles of trails on a revolutionary war battlefield.

—Mr. Hand
Quote Reply