Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Holy crap -- super lucky here
Quote | Reply
Little dude is still recovering from his tonsillectomy, so I'm working from home. There's a telltale smell of something hot in the kitchen, but it's not overpowering and I cannot pinpoint it anywhere, brush it off and think maybe it's just the weird citronella candle we need to put back outside. I go back in the kitchen later and the smell is just getting stronger. It turned out to be this, my bluetooth headphones burning up while charging. It was super hot to the touch, thumb is now burned a bit, sitting on a stack of envelopes, so we're lucky it didn't spark a fire. I'm not sure how much of a risk it actually was, but the way they melted so thoroughly is shocking.

Quote Reply
Post deleted by spudone [ In reply to ]
Re: Holy crap -- super lucky here [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or a Galaxy Note 7

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: Holy crap -- super lucky here [MidwestRoadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The machines are becoming self-aware. You may want to unplug your refrigerator before you go to sleep tonight.

"The right to party is a battle we have fought, but we'll surrender and go Amish... NOT!" -Wayne Campbell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your earphones just fried themselves. I wouldn't call you lucky.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We came home once to that same smell, but super strong, and kind of a haze in the air. The filter on one of my aquariums cracked and was dripping on a power strip. Apparently this strip was not very good on the surge protecting part. Smoke and sparks were coming out of the strip. I felt very lucky. Though the water may have been putting the fire out as quickly as it was starting.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You need to post that to your Twitter and start a nationwide panic where they won't allow any Bluetooth headphones on places, trains, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Holy crap -- super lucky here [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:

They weren't on his head when it happened. Lucky enough.

''The enemy isn't conservatism. The enemy isn't liberalism. The enemy is bulls**t.''

—Lars-Erik Nelson
Quote Reply
Re: Holy crap -- super lucky here [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess lucky is a relative term here. Lucky in the sense that I was home and it didn't start a fire, even though it was 2 hours from the time I first smelled it a bit until the time I was back in the kitchen and smelled it even stronger then & found it in a state of meltdown. It might make sense for me to recollect where I put the fire extinguisher.

BLeP wrote:
Quote Reply
Re: Holy crap -- super lucky here [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's a *surge* suppressor, not an arc-fault suppressor. The power strip can't do a job it wasn't designe for.
Quote Reply
Re: Holy crap -- super lucky here [jkstevens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkstevens wrote:
It's a *surge* suppressor, not an arc-fault suppressor. The power strip can't do a job it wasn't designe for.

It was a smoke machine. :)

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Holy crap -- super lucky here [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Apparently you let all the smoke out...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cheap Chinese crap. Look like the Mopow (or something like that). Get what you pay for.
Quote Reply
Re: Holy crap -- super lucky here [Culley22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They definitely weren't expensive ones, maybe $25-30ish, but they'd lasted for 2.5 years, hundreds of sweaty exercise sessions (what they were used for exclusively), and many charges. I got far more than my money's worth. I'm guessing I hadn't sealed the charging port well, had a bunch of sweat in it, and then charged, causing an issue, or had water splash onto the charger interface since they were on the kitchen island when they fried. Isn't every pair of headphones suitable for exercise going to be Chinese though?

Culley22 wrote:
Cheap Chinese crap. Look like the Mopow (or something like that). Get what you pay for.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Somewhat similar experience in that I left an adapter plugged in. The end had fallen behind the desk and was lying on the floor. I had to move the desk to get something else and then moved it back. Unbeknownst to me, the desk crushed the end of the adapter which allowed it to short circuit. We were just about to leave for the day when my wife noticed a strange rubber burning smell. We couldn't figure out what it was and just unplugged everything and made sure the smell when away.

It took a long time for me to identify what was actually burning.
Quote Reply